FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 FJR1300
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, the FJR is down for repairs, but the GS runs great!

Got out for a little ride around West-central New Mexico.

Old abandoned shops West of Albuquerque

20220731_113532 by Roger, on Flickr

A couple shots of the sandstone bluffs near Acoma Pueblo. The phone's camera never captures how beautiful these scenes really are.

20220731_122255 by Roger, on Flickr

20220731_123929 by Roger, on Flickr

Lava flow at the Malpais National Conservation Area. The lava here just came up through cracks in the ground. Lots of volcanic activity in NM, it always fascinates me.

20220731_124909 by Roger, on Flickr

Must've just missed rush hour through Pie Town on Hwy 60

20220731_142750 by Roger, on Flickr

Love stopping at the Very Large Array radio telescope spot.

20220731_152106 by Roger, on Flickr

Thunderstorms on the horizon, especially later in the day, in almost every direction. I only hit light rain for a few minutes.
Fun day!

·
Registered
2009 FJR 1300AE
717 Posts
Sorry, the FJR is down for repairs, but the GS runs great!

Got out for a little ride around West-central New Mexico.

Old abandoned shops West of Albuquerque

20220731_113532 by Roger, on Flickr

A couple shots of the sandstone bluffs near Acoma Pueblo. The phone's camera never captures how beautiful these scenes really are.

20220731_122255 by Roger, on Flickr

20220731_123929 by Roger, on Flickr

Lava flow at the Malpais National Conservation Area. The lava here just came up through cracks in the ground. Lots of volcanic activity in NM, it always fascinates me.

20220731_124909 by Roger, on Flickr

20220731_142750 by Roger, on Flickr

Love stopping at the Very Large Array radio telescope spot.

20220731_152106 by Roger, on Flickr

Thunderstorms on the horizon, especially later in the day, in almost every direction. I only hit light rain for a few minutes.
Fun day!
Love that machine. I had a 1980 750. Square head light first year of the 16 valve motor. I really miss that bike. 😢

·
Registered
2007 FJR Black Cherry (as if there are any other colors)
60 Posts
What a great bunch of photos. I was born and raised in New Mexico and I miss the scenery and the vistas. No other state has quite the look and feel of New Mexico. Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
2003 FJR1300
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Either these pics are from 1983 or that’s a well looked-after motorbike 😊
LOL Thanks, I try to keep it up. Rescued it six years ago from an auto mechanic instructor. He had it in his classroom for years, just sitting there, so he says. I replaced all the typical rubber bits, gaskets, shined a few things up etc. then put 30k miles on it. The old samsung phone's camera doesn't really pick up all the blemishes, um, I mean patina.

Love that machine. I had a 1980 750. Square head light first year of the 16 valve motor. I really miss that bike. 😢
Those 16 valve motors are a different animal. No valve shims to keep track of, which I hear is nice. This one's got me spoiled though with how smooth the engine runs and the low maintenance shaft drive. Valve clearance checks every other oil change kinda stinks, but it's so routine now that it really doesn't take that long. A light smear of grease on the gasket makes removing it really easy, plus I can typically reuse it a few times.

What a great bunch of photos. I was born and raised in New Mexico and I miss the scenery and the vistas. No other state has quite the look and feel of New Mexico. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you.
Right? This is definitely a unique state. So diverse in it's landscape.

·
Premium Member
2003 FJR1300
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

And if you continue further west there are some nice roads in Arizona.
Indeed! A few years ago I rode that GS with a buddy on his KZ1300 down that way. We camped near Springerville, then took 191 through Morenci eventually winding up in Silver city. Up to the Jila cliff dwellings, down to the City of rocks to camp. Love the Mountains in Arizona! And the desert in NM.

My GS was a little more setup for trips like that before getting the FJR.
A couple of pics from that ride...

20190525_100713 by Roger, on Flickr

20190524_200240 by Roger, on Flickr

20190526_132913 by Roger, on Flickr

GS and KZ camp 2 by Roger, on Flickr

·
Registered
2015 FJR-1300ESF
345 Posts
I remember that GS850G! I only rode it around the block a couple times but it was so smooth. Part of what made me look at the FJR.

Decided you didn't like the Windjammer fairing?

I was out yesterday too. Rode up to Santa Fe and back on the FJR. First real out of town trip with it set up just right. No sore back/shoulders after, much better than the initial ride home from Arizona.

·
Premium Member
2003 FJR1300
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I remember that GS850G! I only rode it around the block a couple times but it was so smooth. Part of what made me look at the FJR.

Decided you didn't like the Windjammer fairing?

I was out yesterday too. Rode up to Santa Fe and back on the FJR. First real out of town trip with it set up just right. No sore back/shoulders after, much better than the initial ride home from Arizona.
That's right, I forgot you had a chance to ride it. I guess it turned us both away from the DL1000, lol. That clutch basket rattle drove me nutz!

Yeah, the Windjammer had to go! I never really liked the looks of it and when I came acrossed a headlight and front signals that were in perfect condition, I jumped on them. They were even wrapped in a newspaper from 1983! Someone installed a Vetter fairing and tucked the parts away, forgetting about them. Anyway, the GS handles way better without it and had more get up and go with the nearly 50lbs removed.

Please throw a few pics up here whenever you'd like. I'd love to see your FJR. I'll dig up some pics of our ride to the Ojito wilderness later and post them, if that's ok. I don't have any pics of my Vee taking a nap in the sand though, thankfully, that was embarrassing 😳

I do actually have pics of my FJR in various spots around NM. Should probably put those up given its an FJR forum and all. Lol

·
Registered
2015 FJR-1300ESF
345 Posts
That's right, I forgot you had a chance to ride it. I guess it turned us both away from the DL1000, lol. That clutch basket rattle drove me nutz!
Yep, I remember you had a 2002 or 2003 (?) and it was doing the clutch basket rattle thing. Can't blame you for swapping bikes, it's not a cheap fix, I'd have had to think twice about doing it on my 2007.

As it turns out, what turned me away from the DL1000 was not clutch rattle. It never had a chance to develop that, because an idiot ran into me head-on last year and totaled it. Tried to total me, guess I was tougher.

Yeah, the Windjammer had to go! I never really liked the looks of it and when I came acrossed a headlight and front signals that were in perfect condition, I jumped on them. They were even wrapped in a newspaper from 1983! Someone installed a Vetter fairing and tucked the parts away, forgetting about them. Anyway, the GS handles way better without it and had more get up and go with the nearly 50lbs removed.
Did the Windjammer actually produce lift? That would indeed be a big ol' drawback.

I went down a rabbit hole a while back, got to reading about the original Vetter Hippo Hands which of course lead to reading up on the Windjammers by the same guy/company. He's still around but I don't know if he rides much any more:

Thought I remembered you had one of his fairings on that bike.

Please throw a few pics up here whenever you'd like. I'd love to see your FJR.
Hmm..been too busy riding and enjoying it to do a lot of photos. This one is from a rest stop just inside New Mexico on the ride home, almost exactly one month ago:

I'll dig up some pics of our ride to the Ojito wilderness later and post them, if that's ok.
That'd be awesome! Let's do some riding again some time. MIght stay off the dirt on my FJR though.

I don't have any pics of my Vee taking a nap in the sand though, thankfully, that was embarrassing 😳
Don't know what you're talking about, as I remember it we were both basically Dakar-ready...

I do actually have pics of my FJR in various spots around NM. Should probably put those up given its an FJR forum and all. Lol
Yes please!

·
Premium Member
2003 FJR1300
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, nice composition. Looks cool and easy to follow. I'll give that a shot.

Yep, I remember you had a 2002 or 2003 (?) and it was doing the clutch basket rattle thing. Can't blame you for swapping bikes, it's not a cheap fix, I'd have had to think twice about doing it on my 2007.
Correct, it was a 2002. There were admittedly other reasons for swapping bikes, but that was a big one for me.

As it turns out, what turned me away from the DL1000 was not clutch rattle. It never had a chance to develop that, because an idiot ran into me head-on last year and totaled it. Tried to total me, guess I was tougher.
Damn! I seem to remember you had some top of the line gear, like inflatable vest and such. Surely you geared up well and all that stuff paid off. I really hope the driver was held accountable. Maybe you had a GoPro running and had some useful video of it?

Did the Windjammer actually produce lift? That would indeed be a big ol' drawback.
I went down a rabbit hole a while back, got to reading about the original Vetter Hippo Hands which of course lead to reading up on the Windjammers by the same guy/company. He's still around but I don't know if he rides much any more:
Thought I remembered you had one of his fairings on that bike.
The windjammer was maybe the most comfortable fairing I'll ever sit behind. They function very well, keeping whatever mother nature could throw at the rider away. Lift? no, no lift, no buffeting, no vacuum pulling me forward. The problem was I hated looking at it, and listening to it rattle on rougher roads. Every time I removed the fairing to do maintenance I hated to put it back on.

Hmm..been too busy riding and enjoying it to do a lot of photos. This one is from a rest stop just inside New Mexico on the ride home, almost exactly one month ago:
Very nice! Congrats on that purchase. What a beauty.

That'd be awesome! Let's do some riding again some time. MIght stay off the dirt on my FJR though.
Lets do that. And yes, paved roads preferably. There have been a couple of occasions where the pavement stopped and I didn't. Trying to get to a campsite with my son on Memorial day weekend we wound up here. Neither of these bikes were suited for those roads. All state parks were closed so we had to take oil rig service roads to find a spot to camp. Pics or it didn't happen, right?
20200905_064556 by Roger, on Flickr

20200905_192940 by Roger, on Flickr

20200905_154535 by Roger, on Flickr

Don't know what you're talking about, as I remember it we were both basically Dakar-ready...
Ha, sure...funny! In regards to the Vee, I definitely misinterpreted the term adventure bike. That trip to Ojito wilderness and Cabezon peak was about as adventurous as I'll ever get on a bike that big.

20171021_082418 by Roger, on Flickr

20171021_094338 by Roger, on Flickr

Yes please!
Well, I've already clutterd up this post with random pics, but ok.

Here's the FJR on a trip up to Taos. We took the high road...

High road bridge by Roger, on Flickr

Then through the mountains where we saw the Calf Canyon fire burn scar
20220704_173440 by Roger, on Flickr

Through Mora, Las Vegas and down I-25 back home.

This is fun. Love sharing the ride through photos. Still wish the pics could really capture the ride and great scenery though.

I gotta get ready for work now

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
1,158 Posts
Great pics Roger!!! Great composition!! And I disagree! That phone camera is crushing it!! :D

Well done!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Nice pictures Burgue73, thanks for sharing. I have to get back out west, I love the scenery, sunsets/sunrises... Actually I'm planning a ride to Arizona for my next summer vacation destination. Maybe I can swing by Albuquerque for some authentic Mexican food and to stock up on Hatch Chillies!
Oh, beautiful GS 850g... I have a 82 GS850g but it needs some TLC...

·
Registered
2015 FJR-1300ESF
345 Posts
Wow, nice composition. Looks cool and easy to follow. I'll give that a shot.
Aw thanks. Just a casual snapshot I took when I stopped to use the restroom.

It turned out the visitor center was closed and the water fountains didn't even work. I believe that was the Manuelito rest area west of Gallup on I-40.
Damn! I seem to remember you had some top of the line gear, like inflatable vest and such. Surely you geared up well and all that stuff paid off. I really hope the driver was held accountable. Maybe you had a GoPro running and had some useful video of it?
I did, and very glad I was wearing all of it AND remembered to clip in my airbag vest. It along with helmet saved my life.

The idiot was on another motorcycle, and probably drunk - admitted on FB to having been a bar just minutes before the crash.

He goes on trial this week, and I plan to be there. I've never met the idiot, but let's just say he gives the impression of being a complete dirtbag. Not just by causing the crash, which was 100% his fault, but through zero expression of remorse or willingness to accept responsibility. Surprise surprise, he has records of previous, ahem, encounters, with the NM court system.

I had a dashcam, the Innovv K2. I think I got it the next year after you and I last rode together. Dashcam video eliminated any doubt of what happened and whose fault the crash was. Cops could tell from on-scene evidence, but it's nice to have the video. State has a copy, and I hope they play it in court - with the sound on - at Idiot's trial.

The windjammer was maybe the most comfortable fairing I'll ever sit behind. They function very well, keeping whatever mother nature could throw at the rider away. Lift? no, no lift, no buffeting, no vacuum pulling me forward. The problem was I hated looking at it, and listening to it rattle on rougher roads. Every time I removed the fairing to do maintenance I hated to put it back on.
I thought the Windjammer suited the looks of the bike. Do you still have it? I have a buddy with a GS850G who might be looking for one.

Very nice! Congrats on that purchase. What a beauty.
Thanks! I'm quite happy with the color. There were only minor cosmetic dings overall.

Most importantly, it's comfortable for my girlfriend on the back. I'm hoping to do some road trips later this summer.

Lets do that. And yes, paved roads preferably. There have been a couple of occasions where the pavement stopped and I didn't. Trying to get to a campsite with my son on Memorial day weekend we wound up here. Neither of these bikes were suited for those roads. All state parks were closed so we had to take oil rig service roads to find a spot to camp. Pics or it didn't happen, right?
Nice pics!

·
Premium Member
2003 FJR1300
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice pictures Burgue73, thanks for sharing. I have to get back out west, I love the scenery, sunsets/sunrises... Actually I'm planning a ride to Arizona for my next summer vacation destination. Maybe I can swing by Albuquerque for some authentic Mexican food and to stock up on Hatch Chillies!
Oh, beautiful GS 850g... I have a 82 GS850g but it needs some TLC...
Hey Storm.

Look me up if you pass through here. Maybe a few of us FJR riders can grab a cold one or somethng.

I'll be heading to Vegas mid September to see another brand new grandbaby, otherwise I should be around. El Patron restaurant is right down the street. Decent food, cheap tacos at happy hour and really good red chile. My favoite is the carne adovada and papitas, smotheres in red chile. Usually I fill up on chips and salsa waiting for the meal, so I stuff the leftover carne in a sopapilla and take for lunch the next day.

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
1,158 Posts
¡Ay Caramba! ¡Tanta Buena comida! ¡Dios Mio!!

·
Premium Member
2003 FJR1300
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Aw thanks. Just a casual snapshot I took when I stopped to use the restroom.

It turned out the visitor center was closed and the water fountains didn't even work. I believe that was the Manuelito rest area west of Gallup on I-40.
I did, and very glad I was wearing all of it AND remembered to clip in my airbag vest. It along with helmet saved my life.

The idiot was on another motorcycle, and probably drunk - admitted on FB to having been a bar just minutes before the crash.

He goes on trial this week, and I plan to be there. I've never met the idiot, but let's just say he gives the impression of being a complete dirtbag. Not just by causing the crash, which was 100% his fault, but through zero expression of remorse or willingness to accept responsibility. Surprise surprise, he has records of previous, ahem, encounters, with the NM court system.

I had a dashcam, the Innovv K2. I think I got it the next year after you and I last rode together. Dashcam video eliminated any doubt of what happened and whose fault the crash was. Cops could tell from on-scene evidence, but it's nice to have the video. State has a copy, and I hope they play it in court - with the sound on - at Idiot's trial.

I thought the Windjammer suited the looks of the bike. Do you still have it? I have a buddy with a GS850G who might be looking for one.

Thanks! I'm quite happy with the color. There were only minor cosmetic dings overall.

Most importantly, it's comfortable for my girlfriend on the back. I'm hoping to do some road trips later this summer.

Nice pics!

I was mainly referring to how you composed your reply post :rolleyes:, but the pic is nice too. :)(y)

Another bike? Jeeze, crazy! I head of another instance on the GS forum of two bikes colliding. Hope it's not a growing trend... One thing that is a growing trend is distracted driving/ riding. Glad you came through that and got back in the saddle.

I hope your buddy can use this windjammer. I figured it would just sit in the rafters in my garage or eventually get tossed. Not many people want them anymore.

In regards to your seat. I'm really curious what brand it is. What is the height difference between you and your girlfriend, if any, and can she see over your head? That's my wife's bigges complaint, no view of what's in front of us.

·
Premium Member
2003 FJR1300
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
¡Ay Caramba! ¡Tanta Buena comida! ¡Dios Mio!!
Right?

If I ever move away from here I'll have to find someone to ship fresh chile to me. There was concern the crop in Hatch this year would go bad from too much rain. That'd constitute a state of emergency here, LOL.

·
Registered
2015 FJR-1300ESF
345 Posts
I was mainly referring to how you composed your reply post :rolleyes:, but the pic is nice too. :)(y)

Another bike? Jeeze, crazy! I head of another instance on the GS forum of two bikes colliding. Hope it's not a growing trend... One thing that is a growing trend is distracted driving/ riding. Glad you came through that and got back in the saddle.

I hope your buddy can use this windjammer. I figured it would just sit in the rafters in my garage or eventually get tossed. Not many people want them anymore.

In regards to your seat. I'm really curious what brand it is. What is the height difference between you and your girlfriend, if any, and can she see over your head? That's my wife's bigges complaint, no view of what's in front of us.
I'll take it!

Right, I always expected the idiot who caused a serious collision to be in a car. Or me. Not another motorcyclist.

Buddy is stoked about the Windjammer. I suspect it'll fit.

FJR seat is a Sargent. I'm not sure whether it's the World Sport Performance, or World Sport Performance Plus. SO has no problem seeing. She's almost as tall as I am.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts