FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just purchased a Garmin 2610 and a Autocom pro-7-sport I am now looking at fitting them to my bike.

What I would like to know is:-

1) Where can I get a lockable craddle to fit onto a stem stand? Not a bar fitment.

2) What lead do I require to get bike power and sound to the helmet headset/s and from where can one purchase such goods?

Thanks in advance :D

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi
Touratech do a lockable mount, personally I think it is quite an ugly brute but functional. http://www.touratech.de/shop_uk/enter.html

When I first got my SPIII I contacted Garmin UK 01794 519944 by phone about a motorcycle power supply lead without the built in speaker as you would use in a car. They sent me one free of charge, they just checked I had registered the product. If not Touratech do one as well. It plugs straight into the Autocom system no worries. They also sent me another cradle to use on the bike, fits straight onto the Stem Stand, also free of charge. Allowed me to keep a mounting in the car, and another permanantly on the Stem Stand
I had twin waterproof cigar lighter sockets fitted on the FJR for charging bike/phone/and powering GPS about £2 out of Maplins http://www.maplin.co.uk they fitted perfectly in the metal bracket cable guides either side of the forks.
Having just bought a BMW i'm well impressed by the quality of the 'Powerlet' sockets they use, expensive but good quality and smaller than Cigar lighter sockets. http://www.powerletproducts.com
Available next day from http://www.sportouring.com

Don't say i didn't warn you they were expensive, but buy good and buy only once same as your new Autocom ;o)

Hope that lot helps.

Malki

1st edit - forgot to say, the Garmin power lead without the external speak also incorporates the sound lead.
2nd edit - didn't realise the Touratech stuff all seems to be bar mounted...try this from Maplin, I think it will fit with the Stem Stand and it has a 'security screw'

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
@nu77er

I got the Touratech lockable cradle on my stem stand for my 2610 £70 part no:01-065-0252-0 (had to re-drill the stem stand to take the cradle - two holes)

Got the Touratech power/audio cable, a din/audio socket combined £33 01-065-0066-0

I fitted a Powerlet socket (FJR1300 right front panel kit) to my panel D for power supply from Woody's www.sportouring.co.uk about £38 for the above Touratech power/audio supply kit.

Stem stand from Bike Johnny

Got a helmet headset speaker/audio connector kit - believe this was from www.adventure-motorcycling.co.uk (can't find the receipt) £30

I named my 2610 "Doris" :)

I collected all sorts of info/pictures/research before buying mine - pm me if you want more stuff direct.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
nu77er

I remembered - I got the headset off EBay. Brand new Garmin, sold on a regular basis from a regular seller. There is one there now, finishes this afternoon, £17 +pp at the moment.

Do a search for 2610 in automotive - I don't think my linking works.

ps. - www.touratech.co.uk

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guy's, as usual you are all on the ball.

Does this mean I will need to think of a name for the GPS :roll:

·
Registered
426 Posts
If you'd like to use something smaller than the Powerlets and easier to connect than the SAE connectors, google on Johnson Powerpoles. Quite popular with the ham radio and EMT crowd to standardize automotive 12v connections. Different sizes and modular to make any number of conductors in one plug. The official crimper is expensive, but I prefer to solder mine and find it to be a better solution as well as more economical when bought in bags of 25 or 50.

This link will get you started, then search further for better prices.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right......... Doris it is then, just like her indoors always nagging me to do something :lol:

Ouch, that hurt :lol:

·
Registered
91 Posts
One note of caution; there was a problem with the power/audio lead supplied by Garmin for the 2610. The audio jack plug was the problem in that you would either get partial or no audio instructions. Autocom cut the jack off (oo err missus) and hard wire the connection.

·
Registered
44 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts