FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a way to mount a RAM Ball Mount to the centre of the handlebars/ steering stem?

Chris.

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300 ES
357 Posts
Personally, I just bought a RAM mount that screwed into the clutch reservoir - very easy and works great

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
8,706 Posts
There is/was a tapped nut available that replaces the stock one on the steering stem... threaded for a RAM ball. Or there was the Rambone, which was a bracket that attached to the two fuel tank bolts and had a longer rod pointing upwards between the handlebars..... don't think that one is available any more either, but you could get one made up.
I prefer my GPS more up and in front of me so I don't have to look away from the road much. On a dash shelf is perfect.

·
Premium Member
8,706 Posts
That is similar concept to the Rambone, which extended further up.......
More reading......

·
Registered
8 Posts
There is/was a tapped nut available that replaces the stock one on the steering stem... threaded for a RAM ball. Or there was the Rambone, which was a bracket that attached to the two fuel tank bolts and had a longer rod pointing upwards between the handlebars..... don't think that one is available any more either, but you could get one made up.
I prefer my GPS more up and in front of me so I don't have to look away from the road much. On a dash shelf is perfect.
I just did the techmount and had to drill and rethread for the one inch ball mount for my gps. I'm sure with more searching I could have found one with the correct thread.

·
Registered
213 Posts
That is similar concept to the Rambone, which extended further up.......
More reading......
Death trap. I urge you to replace that block of wood with a piece of aluminum. When that chunk of wood fatigues and breaks off and wedges itself in your steering unexpectedly...

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
And once again it looks like a simple answer to a simple question eludes us! LOL.
It was answered in post #2, now it is just time to tell him why everyone wants their GPS somewhere else ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2016 ES ,I had installed a helibars handlebar riser which comes pre-drilled & tapped for a GPS mount ,I installed a home-made extender so I could permanently mount the GPS connector ,IMO reduces the chance of someone being tempted to rip-off your mount and also looks neater ,another option is to install a ram ball mount on the clutch master cylinder .

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
Does anyone know of a way to mount a RAM Ball Mount to the centre of the handlebars/ steering stem?

Chris.
Chris, I mount two devices: my cell phone on the left and a dedicated cell phone on the right (no sim card) just to run Tom/Tom software. The phone on the right can't make calls, but it can connect to my cell phone via WiFi to get traffic information. Power supply comes from the power connection in the lockable storage in the fairing. (cables run out the botto of that compartment and over to each device.)
I wanted something cheap and NOT PERMANENT. This solution worked well.

and here's a closeup of how I attached the ram mounts midway on the handlebars.
I put electricians tape around first then used standard 8" zip ties to secure the mount ball.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Pretty sure I have a couple of ram mounts that attach to the clutch lever sitting around - they came with my zumo mounts. Just in case anyone wants one.

As for how I mounted my GPS

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I appreciate all the replies. Saw the second post. Might just buy another stem nut from Yamaha and drill/tap myself. seems like a simple mod.

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300 ES
357 Posts
I appreciate all the replies. Saw the second post. Might just buy another stem nut from Yamaha and drill/tap myself. seems like a simple mod.
There may not be enough "room" on the backside of a standard stem nut. Also, not sure how much money you would save knowing Yamaha OEM prices :sneaky:

·
Premium Member
8,706 Posts
Use your existing nut, get another one later IF you ever decide to change it.. it is a touch thin, you could get creative with a nut or tapped piece of aluminum on the back side......???

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Or just drill and tap a hole in the upper tree for a ram ball stud mount like the aftermarket trees have.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts