FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after 25 miles, these are my thoughts:

Power: It's still running in - but it seems much the same as before - a little smoother in the pickup maybe.

Vibration. Yes, there is some - nothing to worry about. The RH mirror does blur a bit at speed. I expect this to get better.

Throttle heavy? Nope - seems the same as my old one.
Clutch heavy? Nope - seems the same as my old one.

Mirrors - better than the standard ones - not as good as the FZR1000 mirrors which most people seem to fit.

Gearbox - much better. Snicks quietly into first - no clunk at all.

Suspension seems to be better.

Seat is higher - but I am getting mine lowered.

Now the big one - windscreen. Oh yes, much much better. I don't plan to do any mods to this one.

Do I like it ? Oh yes !!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Fitting crash bungs was easy......

So that's one more job out of the way.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
You see, we all knew you'd be pleased, despite your umming and arring.

Congrats, glad you like it. No, I'm not jealous - honest.

I didn't realise the Givi rack would fit - I take it that it's the SR346 rack, as per the old bike?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not the same as the old givi rack - so I guess Givi are ahead of the game....

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where would I find it ? The dealer fitted it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Surprised to see a standard heated grip controller, dont the 06's have a blanking plate
on the fairing to fit the new integrated controller into?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The Givi website doesn't list this as an 06 accessory yet Alan

Maybe it's on your paperwork somewhere. Perhaps if you can find out the code from your dealer and post it, this will be a VERY big help to a lot of members on this site who are trying to get a topbox sorted for their bikes.

Apart from Yam oem, only H+B have been mentioned so far.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nothing on the paperwork (I haven't been billed for it yet). But it is definitely NOT the 05 version - I have one of those as well and they are completely different.

As to the heated controller - I know about the blanking plate - but I guess the dealer doesn't.

One other thing - I moved the bars back today. They make very little difference. The post holes are all of 1/4" apart !!!!

Alan

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Novawing's new bike was fitted with the same grips as yours Alan, but Yam have agreed to fit the proper ones FOC when they are available. Might be worth going back to your dealer.
Ergonomically though, for me having the controller mounted on the bars was better than having to reach down to one mounted on the fairing.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As long as they heat up too hot for me to hold, I'm happy with them where they are.

My dealer has been very nice to me - 12 months tax, a full tank of petrol, the loan of a set of seats while mine are sent away and a replacement givi rack on the first service because mine has a scratch (I would have been happy with some touch up paint).

So, I don't really see any need to change the grips - as you say, it's easier to control them where they are now.

Alan

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just to say that moving the bars back was easy - I have no idea why you have to go back to the dealers for this.

Alan

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK. more constructive thoughts. I went on a 340 mile ride yesterday to get it run in before the service on Thursday.

MPG. I set the display to show the average mpg (the instant one does the max 17mpg trick). After 25 miles, it was showing 37mpg. I set off up the motorway to the starting point and after a further 30 miles, it was still showing 37mpg. Humm - not too impressed so far (my old FJR was doing around 48).

So, we set off and the further we rode, the higher the number got. By the time it came to filling the tank, it was showing 49mpg. Ahh, that's better. Reset it to see what the next tankful would bring (incidently, 212 miles with 19.66 litres is around 49mpg, so it's pretty accurate too)

The ride home was slow to start with and then the last 100 miles very "spirited". The mpg got up to 51 and then by the end of the ride had come down to 48.5. So, I'm happy that the engine is (a) efficient and (b) running in nicely. Note all the mpg figures are against the imperial gallon.

Handling. Well, it's different. In the wet, the tyres are crap. Please can I have my BT020's back ???? In the dry, they are OK and better than I can ride. The suspension seems to be firmer but with a large amount of "dive" from the forks - I got caught out doing heavy braking whilst leaned over in a bend. Took the brakes off and the front end came up A LOT and made the bike wobble - not nice while I was leaned over (OK, I need to learn to read the roads better).

Brakes. PHENOMENAL. The best brakes I have ever come across on any bike. They really work and are easy to use. There is a 'clonk' if you apply them when nearly stopped. Not sure what it is - may be loose head bearings - I'll get the dealer to check it out.

Mirrors. Better than the old ones - not as good as Alkamoto replacements (the FZR1000 ones). I would get some replacements if they came out.

Riding position. I moved the bars to the rear position (because I am only small). Made a bit of difference but not much. Having said that, I wasn't uncomfortable. But if anyone brings out bar risers which move them back, I'll probably buy some.

Seat. Only one word - PLANK. Way too hard. Much much worse than the '04 model I had before. Luckily, I am getting mine redone this week. I would suggest everyone will need to do this (I weight 11 stone - or 154 lbs for our colonial cousins).

Engine. The more it got run in, the smoother it got. And the more powerful too. I was cruising at at least 10mph faster than I would on the old one - it just felt right (sorry officer!). The gearing is higher - that may account for it.

Gearbox. Better than the old one for getting into first gear. But not as good (yet) when changing up and down. There is more of a clonk - not as smooth. But it's still running in. We'll see how it is after the first oil change.

Throttle response. Very much on-off. I don't like it and will be getting the dealer to check the throttle bodies at some time. It's OK, but with the heavy throttle springs, you need strong wrists and fingers to manage it. It's more of an issue going around corners where it can catch you out when it comes in. I never had any incidents, but I was aware of it.

Instruments. Much easier to read the speedo. Except at dusk. There is a transition period between light and dark where the numbers go transparent. Not a big issue - you just have to concentrate more. The gear indicator is extremely useful.

Clutch. Don't know if it's heavier than the old one. What I do know is that the 'bite' is near the grip - so you pull it in a long way to disengage. This means your left hand does need to be more powerful. The old one was better (disengaged just as you pulled it in).

I think that's about it. More words as I find out more.

Alan

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Clutch - have you tried adjusting the lever position with the dial, or won't that make any difference anyway?

Would say that you need to adjust your front end settings to get rid of some of that diving - it's the compression aspect isn't it? Maybe some more preload cos your a lightweight (like me).

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, it's not a dial thing for the clutch.

I think the suspension is the rebound stuff. I need to experiment. Thanks for the thoughts though.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I checked my notes and it is the compression that needs to be harder

I would also check the factory "standard" settings to see if they are set correctly

I would also set the static sag, as you are a lightweight, and re-set the preload, but this should be before setting the compression, but not the end of the world if you don't.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts