FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new US-based poster here.

My wife and I are taking a Holiday trip to Eastern Europe (or Central, as some like to correct us) in a week. We will be traveling from Vienna to Prague, Krakow, Budapest (for Xmas), Zagreb, Ljubljana and finally Bratislava for NYEve. My question to all you FJR enthusiasts in those countries, do you still ride this time of year? I will be looking for you if you do with a big thumbs up and a bigger grin. I don't own one yet but have an order placed for an '06 'A', so any chance I get to see one in person is always a special treat.

I'll report back here upon my return on how many I ended up seeing.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I am so green with envy. Budapest is my favourite city and, maybe I am odd, but I prefer to travel in the colder months. Prague, Vienna and Krakow are fabulous places as well but many years ago the Hungarian capital won my heart. I wouldn't expect to find a lot of FJRs on the road. As long as the snow stays away there will be small bikes and scooters but winter in these places is cold. Budapest will likely be the warmest of the 4 cities. The Tatra mountains that form the Polish/Slovak border have the effect of keeping the coldest weather north.

If you have the opportunity spend a day and night in Kosice, Slovakia you should do so. I'll make the assumption you are travelling by train. The train from Krakow to Budapest stops in Kosice. I lived there for 5 years in the 1990s and loved it. The city square is one of the great squares in Central Europe but the city is over-shadowed by the bigger (and not as nice) Bratislava. The most easterly gothic cathedral in Europe is in Kosice. And I don't know who said it but someone important (maybe Joos!) said "Where gothic architecture ends so ends Europe". So if you want to stand on the edge of Europe you should stop there.

Ljubljana and Zagreb are very nice as well. Of the two I prefer Ljubljana because I love the little bridges over the canals.

aldrichster have you travelled to these areas before?

gypsy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Gypsy

Thanks for the tips. You are correct we are making this excursion by train, however our plan is to take the overnight from Krakow to Budapest which goes through Breclav, Czech Rep, rather than the easterly route through Kosice. That city will have to wait until another trip (along with Eger, Dubrovnik, the Eastern Dolomites and other nearby locations we simply don't have the time to see). We have been to Vienna and Prague, but the rest of the stops will be all new to both of us. I know what you mean about traveling in the colder months, plus the Christmas markets in Europe are just magical. Wonderful main squares full of all kinds of shops, snack bars, craft displays, lights and decorations, with a choir caroling on the steps of the nearby cathedral, a hot cup of Gluhwein in hand and snowflakes dancing down...it is all too perfect. Not a Target or a Walmart to be seen.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Enjoy the ride. Just watch out for the ice and snow. I was in Prague last weekend. Daytime temperatures were barely above freezing despite hazy sunshine. Overnight snows hung around for a couple of days.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.