FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone who has such a thing installed tell me how they connected it up to the brake light circuit and how you disconnect when removing the box? Pictures would also be good if you have them.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I have.

I used one of those blue scotch connectors and tapped into the brake circuit wire, near to the bulb holder. I can't remember if it's the blue or yellow wire, used a neon circuit tester to check it. If I can read my manual wiring diagram right it's yellow.

I then ran a short lead from the blue connector to one of those white connector blocks that have small screws. This means I can disconnect the brake wire for the Givi when I take the top box rack off, as I don't use the top box all the time.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Brake light on Top Box

I did the same and have a similar set up with my Shad (46L) box Ian.

Those scotch block connectors are useful and its easy to connect/disconnect the brake light when removing/fitting the box.

Regards, Glenn. 8)

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Ian said:
Can anyone who has such a thing installed tell me how they connected it up to the brake light circuit and how you disconnect when removing the box? Pictures would also be good if you have them.
The Givi kit should come with quick connectors which fit on the rack plate, so no wiring to worry about.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you order the brake light kit it will come with the connection point that is mounted to the rack it self. There are a couple of spring loaded metal contacts that are engaged when you attach the trunk.

It works well but after a year I've noticed quite a bit of pitting on the contacts. it is still working though.

Thom

·
Registered
22 Posts
My Givi top box spring loaded switch didn't last six months.
I added 3M reflective tape behind the brakelights for increased visibility.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So no-one has found anything like this for the FJR already and waiting just to be plugged in?

Totally Wired

Now who's going to entreprenurial enough to add to their other wiring offers?

·
Registered
119 Posts
fretless said:
It works well but after a year I've noticed quite a bit of pitting on the contacts. it is still working though.
Try the following:
Clean all of the contacts thoroughly, remove any/all corrosion
Apply a light coating of anti-seize compound (containing Al or Cu) to all of the contacts. This will prevent further corrosion while still being conductive.
Be sure not to short the contacts together via the anti-seize.
If you leave the topbox on most of the time, it won't even be much of a mess.
I use this trick on my trailer connector, and all terminal lugs that I farkle. A few quick swipes with a rag when I need to work on it, and no rust.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have an E52 Givi top box with the brake light kit installed and I have to agree that the spring loaded contacts that come with the light kit, though very convenient, don't hold up well. I think the problem may be that the little springs on the contacts are not strong enough or that the latch that secures the box to the mounting plate allows a little too much movement. They eventually begin to arc and erode the contact material away and the heat of the arcing weakens the springs. Eventually I replaced the contacts with a 4 conductor trailer connection.

I used the 4 conductor type because in addition to the stop light kit I installed 12 LEDs behind the wrap around reflector lens. Six on each side. They are tied into the running light circuit so that I'm much more visible from the rear at night. In addition, I wired these LEDs up through a pair of relays triggered by the rear turn signals such that when the turn signals flash, so do the running lights on that side of the top box, although in reverse sequence. That is, when the left side turn signal light is on, the relay kills the power to the 6 LEDs on the left side of the box and when the turn signal light is out all 12 of the LEDs are on. So they kind of wink back and forth between the bike's light and the box's lights. And of course when the 4way flasher is on they all blink on and off.

I’m sure the V46 box would lend itself to this modification as well although the reflectors are not quite as wide on the V46 as on the E52.

I seldom remove the top box so unplugging the trailer connector is an insignificant issue. And the lights don't blink on and off over bumps as they tended to do with the original Givi terminals.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Givi stop light

The problem is not the contacs but movement of the box, you need to tighten up the box either from the front or rear. I will use LED's on my bar under the rack using the wire from the Givi light.
rogerfjrfaster :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts