FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a couple of requests for pictures of how I mounted my topbox on my new 06 FJR, so here they are. Note, I consider this as a temporary installation until Givi produce a proper rack for the 06. This install puts the box slightly too far forward for pillion comfort.

What I did was go to the hardware store and buy extra long bolts to replace the 3 original bolts which secure the back of the bikes existing rack. I then bought a length of aluminium tubing with an internal diameter which would accept the new bolts. I then cut bits off the tube to make standoff spacers to go under the Givi plate. Unfortunately, I didn't keep records of my measurements, so you will have to work that out for yourself.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Nice job Bernie...."I like it!!"

Pretty solid way to mount the top box??? Is there any flexing??? :?

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Flexing is acceptable, I've done about 3500 Km so far and no problems yet, apart from griping from the missus. :roll:

·
Registered
632 Posts
Similar to the Givi mounting rack except they have extra bracing forward of the rack.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alan, do you know the part number of the Givi rack?

·
Registered
38 Posts
)(((((((I've had a couple of requests for pictures of how I mounted my topbox on my new 06 FJR, so here they are. Note, I consider this as a temporary installation until Givi produce a proper rack for the 06. This install puts the box slightly too far forward for pillion comfort.

What I did was go to the hardware store and buy extra long bolts to replace the 3 original bolts which secure the back of the bikes existing rack. I then bought a length of aluminium tubing with an internal diameter which would accept the new bolts. I then cut bits off the tube to make standoff spacers to go under the Givi plate. Unfortunately, I didn't keep records of my measurements, so you will have to work that out for yourself.)))))

Take a look my patent :lol: http://www.fjrowners.ws/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1022

·
Registered
28 Posts
Givi topbox mounting plate

Thanks Bernie,for posting photos , very helpfull they were.I have used your 3 long method but have added an aluminium plate to the construction and bolted a givi universal plate to that ,also a thick rubber doorstop to the rear to firm the whole thing up.by adding the alu plate has allowed me to fix the box slightly further back ,keep the missus happy! :lol:

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Glad I could help. I have now ordered the proper Givi rack mentioned above, but the useless Aussie importers reckon it will probably take up to 3 months to get here. Wish Givi would sell on the net.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Bernie said:
Glad I could help. I have now ordered the proper Givi rack mentioned above, but the useless Aussie importers reckon it will probably take up to 3 months to get here. Wish Givi would sell on the net.
I am in the same boat (up shit creek with out a paddle, just figured I would keep the metaphor going :)) The local Japanese importers are quoting Aug/Sep at the earliest for SR357 rack for the 06FJR (FJR1300 2006 - Givi Specific Case Rack/Carrier - YA10-23-SR357). The price is GBP 69.99 ex UK VAT. Shipping costs are GBP35 to US & CAN and GBP47 to RoW.
However, you guys may be interested in knowing that BikeJohnny has these racks available right now, and they do sell/ship international. I am planning on placing an order with them today, just want to call them directly to confirm that the base plate will fit a Maxia E52 (monokey) topbox.

http://www.bikejohnny.com/cgi-bin/store/BKJstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=YA10-23-SR357

·
Registered
3 Posts
Givi mount

Here is an alternative mounting system for any of the Givi boxes for the 06 FJR. These aluminum racks double as a soft luggage rack when not used for the topbox. You can also purchase an optional passenger backrest for the unit. When you mount the Givi box on any of the three differwent racks the passenger leans back to a comfortable position. Click on the racks and get complete descriptions plus pictures of the rack mounted on the FJR lower on the page. Check them out, they have many happy customers.

http://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/fjraandba.html

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have the OHFJR rack on my bike in combination with the Givi E250 universal mount, and I am real pleased with the results.

I didn't care for the looks of the Givi 357 mount.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/giviv46

I did make a couple changes to the way it bolted on, as I didn't want to use the gromment holes, and instead used the webbing, which I feel is a better way to attach it.

With my LED brake light kit added

·
Registered
100 Posts
I got a call from University Motor Sports today asking about where to get this OHFJR rack as they got some calls about it today, so in an effort to consolidate all the contact info in one place, here it is.

The Givi V46 and color matched lid with either the E250 or SR357 mount can be bought at a significant discount from University Motors at 701-235-6478

If you decide to go with the E250 Universal Mount (like I did) instead of the Givi SR357 mount, then you will need the OHFJR rack.
This can be purchased here:
http://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/fjraandba.html

If you want to add the tail/brake light kit that I make, contact me direct for that. I will ship you one for $107. My email address is fredharmonATnetzero.net (replace the AT with the @ symbol in my email address)

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
I thought I would add this post here - enjoy the read.

Some people may remember that there have been a few reported cases of failures in the Givi mounting bracket - well, I have experienced another one. A couple of points:
1 - I had my rack powdercoated before I fitted it a five years ago. While this make a great look, the powdercoating also hid the developing cracks fairly well.
2 - I had done periodic checks at the known weak point of the rack, but in hindsight they were neither thorough enough, nor adequate (easy to check more often than I did - I was just lazy).
3 - The rack is well designed but under-manufactured at the key stress points - see the piccies. Well, maybe it's adequately manufactured if you carry feathers, but I do load it up, specially when we travel.
4 - you can see from the rust marks at the cracked and broken area that the crack in the left leg was there for long enough to develop substantial rust, and the top of the right leg had also been cracked long enough to develop some rust too.
5 - the GIVI box (E52 Maxia) made it's dash for freedom at around 80 to 100kph. An eyewitness (also on a FJR) behind me said it just continued at the speed I had been travelling, tumbling and bouncing along. It shed all the decorative trim, but remained structurally intact, still attached to the mounting plate. The locking mechanism and mounting mechanism both still work fine. There is a lot of road rash on the box.
6 - I ride with the top box most of the time, often loaded well beyond the GIVI specs.
7 - I'm going to have the rack welded and reinforced, and may get a new box, or may just use this one as is.
8 - I am very, very grateful that the box did not bouince into oncoming traffic, or in the path of someone behind me. Hitting an oncoming car at a combined impact speed of 150kph+ - I don't even want to contemplate the possibilities.

Here's the piccies:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Welcome to the club David,that's where mine went also. Luckily mine didn't completely break, the fractures weren't all the way through. The back of the rack and the top box were just leaning at a very irregular angle.

There is to much overhang beyond the centre support of the bracket and with vibration, road shock and pillions using the top box as a back rest, bingo we have a problem. From memory, without rushing out to look at my bike, the whole of the top box is mounted and supported on that back section of the rack which itself has no support.

I had mine welded and reinforced and when I reinstalled it I drilled a couple of extra holes and added a couple of extra bolts so that the supported section of the rack takes some of the forces generated by the top box. So far, so good, but I will recheck it tomorrow now that you have reminded me.

At the time of my problem a very nice gentleman from Western Australia (Bernie) actually sent me his dsicarded 2001 givi rack in case I needed it. That rack is completely different to the rack that you and I were supplied and appears far stronger. I still have that rack in my garage if required.

·
Registered
307 Posts
PS..

When I was getting my rack repaired, I actually thought about putting a couple of stays/braces from the rear rail of the rack back to the centre mount bracket. This would have supplied the necessary support that was lacking.

Unfortunately by the time that I got back to the mate who was doing the reapir for me, it had already been completed and repainted. That's why I went with the option of the couple of extra mounting bolts in front of the centre support bracket.

Hope this helps, either method should increase it's strength.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
I'll post piccies of the repair in a week or two. Only taking it in next week due to work pressures. Besides gussets supporting/strengthening the weak area (where all the load forces are taken) I'll probably add a stabilising bar from the rear bolt mounting point running to the rear of the rack. I even think I have some suitable material in my 'store' (remember Torch - he also had enough steel offcuts to rebuild the average open-cut Dragline over a weekend, if needed. I'm not in that same league, but have some offcuts)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts