FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
@mikester: Glad to hear your insurance woes were due to a TD system glitch and not a general raping by the insurance companies.

For what it's worth, I just renewed with Wawanesa: $675 for my 2020 FJR (full coverage) and $340 for my 2013 Super Tenere (PLPD only). Northern Ontario, no tickets, no accidents, +60 years old. Last year my premiums were $645 and $340, respectively.

Haynes
Northern Ontario being the operative word here…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
522 Posts
Insurance "glitch" my ass. ENRON comes to mind. Bad behaviour is incentivized and rewarded. I was just looking at TD stock prices, going over the moon at the moment. I will be sure to check out the Q1 2022 financials, wanna bet their insurance division is posting a profit increase?

I paid $1000 last year for my 2018 with full coverage. Went up to $2300 on this invoice. Thievery for sure.
Okay maybe "glitch" isn't the right word but it was an error albeit one that they only corrected once confronted, which makes me question their integrity. It's always wise to check your renewal rate and to shop around. Glad you got things straightened out.

Haynes

Reactions: JK28

·
Registered
522 Posts
Northern Ontario being the operative word here…

Nice to hear that because I live in the North I'm getting a deal on motorcycle insurance. Too bad I get screwed on the price of just about everything else: gasoline for example, which typically runs 15-50¢ more per litre (depending on how far north you go) than you folks in the South pay.

At the moment it's -28C and sunny here. Lots of room up here if you want to join me.😁

Haynes

·
Registered
672 Posts
No Thanks. Rural eastern Ontario works for me

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Just renewed my two bikes with Aviva (PLPD), here in Beautiful Alberta Canada;
'17 FJR - $140.00 / yr (was $137.00)
'18 Vstrom - $116.00 / yr (was $113.00)

a $6.00 increase from last year :rolleyes:... thiefs!!!
... will call them today and complain... maybe they use the same glitchy software as TD Ontario ;)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Too bad I get screwed on the price of just about everything else: gasoline for example, which typically runs 15-50¢ more per litre (depending on how far north you go) than you folks in the South pay.
Haynes
Haynes this picture from British Columbia yesterday will make you feel better :)
Sky Tree Font Rectangle Gas

Regular gas cad $1.79 / litre
or cad $6.77 / US gallon

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I don't know how it is in Canada but in the U.S. you can get varying degrees of coverage. I knew a guy who bragged about his low rate compared to mine. He didn't have full comp & collision or $100k/$300k policy. Not to mention all the other variables like age, location, credit score, etc...

So all these figures don't make for a valid comparison. Just sayin'.

Reactions: FjrjrF

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Liability coverage (also known as “PLPD” which stands for “Personal Liability & Property Damage”) is the only coverage that is legally required in every province in Canada. It covers any damages you may cause to other people or their property when driving your vehicle.

Any damages to your bike is on you.

·
Registered
225 Posts
In Ontario, we must pay for "accident benefits". The payments for this is absurd, and non-optional.
Fire & theft, and "collision" are options.

As for TD sending out improper renewals, that will all be straightened out.
It's grounds for shutting them down, if they don't. (according to an industry expert)

Reactions: Whooshka

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,524 Posts
In Ontario, we must pay for "accident benefits". The payments for this is absurd, and non-optional.
Fire & theft, and "collision" are options.

As for TD sending out improper renewals, that will all be straightened out.
It's grounds for shutting them down, if they don't. (according to an industry expert)
Sounds normal. In the US (in my state) we are required to carry a minimum value of liability and uninsure motorist insurance. Comp and collision are optional and I carry neither of those on my bikes or any other toy. On the plus side even with 300/100K liability coverage, insurance is around $100-$125 a year for each of my bikes.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Sounds normal. In the US (in my state) we are required to carry a minimum value of liability and uninsure motorist insurance. Comp and collision are optional and I carry neither of those on my bikes or any other toy. On the plus side even with 300/100K liability coverage, insurance is around $100-$125 a year for each of my bikes.
I'd have a different bike for every day of the week!!
My fjr is ~$900, which is a 50% discount because my house & truck are bundled. Clean record. (Home: $1200. No claims 50+yrs. Truck: $1300. No claims 50+ yrs. We get raped here.)

• Wow
Reactions: Whooshka

·
Registered
522 Posts
Haynes this picture from British Columbia yesterday will make you feel better :)
View attachment 82836

Regular gas cad $1.79 / litre
or cad $6.77 / US gallon
Yikes! That is high, though I'm sure it'd be that high in a few places farther north of me in Ontario.

Comparing prices between the provinces isn't entirely fair, as different provincial taxes are applied. What annoys me is the wide range of prices within Ontario, often attributed to delivery costs yet gas drives right by my door and onto places where it is sold at a lower price.

Haynes

Reactions: Damir

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Yep it's the comp & coll that costs $$$. And your FZ1 & FJR are "old" (no disrespect intended) and probably don't have much book value so you're wise not to get full coverage on them.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,769 Posts
We are required to carry $1M liability minimum, and you US guys have larger economy of scale for your insurance... no way to compare.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm venting here. I just got my TD Insurance renewal for my two motorcycles.

100% increase in premiums cost over last year. Out of the blue my MC insurance cost has DOUBLED.

No tickets, no accidents, no claims in 15 years. WTF?!!!!!

FU TD Insurance. FU Ontario auto insurance monopoly.
I'm out in ab, 4 motorcycles. 1200 for all 4. How ever my insurance is technically out of Ontario, always has been, even if I switch. Weird eh?

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,769 Posts
Part of your rating depends on your postal code. If I moved 30 kms from here out of the "GTA", my insurance would be much cheaper. I believe AB has some of the lowest rates in the country.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
We are required to carry $1M liability minimum, and you US guys have larger economy of scale for your insurance... no way to compare.
Canadian Banks, telecom, utilities and insurance have monopolies and have no competition or incentive to become cost effective. Why do you think we have the highest cellphone prices and lowest quality of service compared to the rest of the world? I'm just outside the GTA and we get raped for an internet connection. No cable, no DSL, no natural gas, no water, no sewer. I'm lucky to have hydro. Bell was promising DSL back in 2000. My neighbor finally got kicked off the party line and was forced to upgrade their dial up phone last year. Funny part he was the only one on the party line.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts