FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm venting here. I just got my TD Insurance renewal for my two motorcycles.

100% increase in premiums cost over last year. Out of the blue my MC insurance cost has DOUBLED.

No tickets, no accidents, no claims in 15 years. WTF?!!!!!

FU TD Insurance. FU Ontario auto insurance monopoly.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I'm venting here. I just got my TD Insurance renewal for my two motorcycles.

100% increase in premiums cost over last year. Out of the blue my MC insurance cost has DOUBLED.

No tickets, no accidents, no claims in 15 years. WTF?!!!!!

FU TD Insurance. FU Ontario auto insurance monopoly.
Where you located. ? That’s crazy. My TD renews in Feb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where you located. ? That’s crazy. My TD renews in Feb.

Mine renews in February too. I'm near Guelph. Let me know when you get your renewal. Looks like I'm switching insurance away from TD again. They lost my car business 5 years ago for the same reason...last time they jacked up my car insurance 25% and I walked away.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,764 Posts
Rut roh...... I should be getting something in the mail soon, it better be OK news. TD has been too expensive for me with motorcycle only.
Your best rate will be if you can bundle in house and cars.
Talk to Chris South at Surenet..... Aviva is the underwriter. Call him rather than email.... tell him I sent you, not that it will get me anything at all.
416-546-8969
[email protected]

·
Registered
672 Posts
Mine renews in February too. I'm near Guelph. Let me know when you get your renewal. Looks like I'm switching insurance away from TD again. They lost my car business 5 years ago for the same reason...last time they jacked up my car insurance 25% and I walked away.
About 6-7 hrs ago when Jevco got bought out by intact my premium was to double.
At that time TD ( meloche monnex)was the best I could find by a large margin.
They have continued to be lower than any of my contacts bike ins.
Hoping it’s just a specific area increase

·
Registered
672 Posts
Rut roh...... I should be getting something in the mail soon, it better be OK news. TD has been too expensive for me with motorcycle only.
Talk to Chris South at Surenet..... Aviva is the underwriter. Call him rather than email.... tell him I sent you, not that it will get me anything at all.
416-546-8969
[email protected]
Thanks Ray
Will keep that in mind when time comes

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
416-546-8969
[email protected]
Thanks for the referral. I've been wanting to bundle for a long time but my current car insurer won't touch bikes. Most residential home insurers won't touch farms so I'm stuck with three different insurers at the moment.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
About 6-7 hrs ago when Jevco got bought out by intact my premium was to double.
At that time TD ( meloche monnex)was the best I could find by a large margin.
They have continued to be lower than any of my contacts bike ins.
Hoping it’s just a specific area increase

My cars are with Intact under the group insurance rate plan as they were the most cost effective. Intact won't insure motorcycles or ATV's for some reason.

The Personal was a close second place last year for me. I quoted them when my car insurance went up 10% last year.

I hate talking with the agents because they try and feed me the line "we don't set insurance prices, it's regulated by the province". FU you don't set prices, you submit your projected cost increases to the province for approval and your lobbyists take care of greasing the wheels and getting the increases approved.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,764 Posts
Well, we can debate the No Fault system we have here... be glad you aren't in BC....
Your rates are based on location and your record.... Guelph WAS way better than here (I'm classed GTA, whereas my friends in Cambridge and London are much lower). Maybe Guelph just became GTA??
Note there are only two real motorcycle insurance underwriters, Primmum and Aviva. Meloche Monnex is now TD and set their own rates, I'll call them the 3rd underwriter.
AFAIK, the province just regulates the system (no fault), but the insurance companies set the actual rates.... most are similar, but a big chunk of it is what bike you have as well. I absolutely cannot afford an FZ1 (classed as super sport). Sport touring is the lowest rates, which the FJR and VFR are classed as (by the manufacturer).
All you can do is shop around. Brokers such as Rider's Plus add their commissions....

Reactions: Little Joe

·
Registered
672 Posts
I priced a Super Tenere for Ins 2yrs ago. It was 500.00 more than FJR.
I insure FJR and DR 650 for less than Super Tenere

·
Registered
225 Posts
TD's renewal system fucked up. They sent all motorcycle policies out as if none of the insured folks had ever ridden a motorcycle before. You're all listed as "new riders" with zero experience.
Call them up, and it'll get straightened out.

Reactions: Whooshka

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Mikester might I suggest calling them and asking why? There is a remote possibility it is a mistake. I'm in the U.S. but that happened to me once. I called and politely asked why my rates jumped so much and there was some gliche in their system I hit. They restored my old rate.

Reactions: Recalled

·
Registered
225 Posts
Mikester might I suggest calling them and asking why? There is a remote possibility it is a mistake. I'm in the U.S. but that happened to me once. I called and politely asked why my rates jumped so much and there was some gliche in their system I hit. They restored my old rate.
What I posted is official.
It's been discussed at length on another forum.

Reactions: Whooshka

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
TD's renewal system fucked up. They sent all motorcycle policies out as if none of the insured folks had ever ridden a motorcycle before. You're all listed as "new riders" with zero experience.
Call them up, and it'll get straightened out.
Right on the money. I just got off the phone with the agent, she said my policy suddenly had me listed as "unlicensed". My conversation went like this

TD "When did you get your license?"
ME "You should know better than I would...everything is electronic these days"
TD "I'm sorry, we don't have access to that information."
What a load of BS. The insurers know more about us than we do.

After re-entering the info my policy actually went down $10 over last years price. They were appologetic.

Thank goodness I only pay annually by cc. I wonder how many people do automatic monthly bank account withdrawls and don't pay attention to renewal invoices. Maybe that's how the Canadian banks are making record profit year after year. Like the oil companies banks seem to like to "Err on the side of profitability".

I'm still going to re-quote against other insurers. Need to keep these insurance company crooks a little more honest...kinda hard to do when I have to choose between 1 of 5 crooks to rob me.

Another 30 minutes of my life gone on hold waiting for a human to talk to...

·
Registered
'18 GL1800 Goldwing, '98 Shadow VT1100T, '16 FJR 1300 (Sold)
178 Posts
Mikester - glad you got it sorted out. Sounds to me like you may be on to something there. They possibly didnt notice the 'change' in the system, but at some point someone probably did and someone higher said... leave it.. lets see if anyone notices and just deal with those that do as they complain. So its easier for them to fix the issues as they come up vs doing a massive correction, and this way they get more $$. Sounds evil, but I've heard of it being done with other similar things (bank fees for example)

·
Registered
'18 GL1800 Goldwing, '98 Shadow VT1100T, '16 FJR 1300 (Sold)
178 Posts
Im with Desjardins and I wont get my renewal forms until March. I'm curious to see what mine will say.

·
Registered
522 Posts
@mikester: Glad to hear your insurance woes were due to a TD system glitch and not a general raping by the insurance companies.

For what it's worth, I just renewed with Wawanesa: $675 for my 2020 FJR (full coverage) and $340 for my 2013 Super Tenere (PLPD only). Northern Ontario, no tickets, no accidents, +60 years old. Last year my premiums were $645 and $340, respectively.

Haynes

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@mikester: Glad to hear your insurance woes were due to a TD system glitch and not a general raping by the insurance companies.

For what it's worth, I just renewed with Wawanesa: $675 for my 2020 FJR (full coverage) and $340 for my 2013 Super Tenere (PLPD only). Northern Ontario, no tickets, no accidents, +60 years old. Last year my premiums were $645 and $340, respectively.

Haynes
Insurance "glitch" my ass. ENRON comes to mind. Bad behaviour is incentivized and rewarded. I was just looking at TD stock prices, going over the moon at the moment. I will be sure to check out the Q1 2022 financials, wanna bet their insurance division is posting a profit increase?

I paid $1000 last year for my 2018 with full coverage. Went up to $2300 on this invoice. Thievery for sure.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts