FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Great project! Those rust pics are worse than a zombie movie. I can't wait to hear the success story. :)

Reactions: jpilk99

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks RaYzerman, and all.

How stupid would I be to just bring the fuel pump assembly to the bike, plug it in, and turn on ignition to hear if it does anything? If I just listen for the "cycle for 2 seconds..." I'm thinking I won't hurt it?

Worse case, but, the most logical is: Finish cleaning the tank, put it back together with pump, and install bike - with fuel.

Thank you,

Jay

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
I'm not the mechanic Ray is, but I think you shouldn't run that pump dry. The 'cycle for 2 seconds' may not stop running if it doesn't get fuel pressure... and the pump uses fuel as its cooling and lubrication.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thank you. And I'm noticing that, since pulling the pump out of tank and fully cleaning - the wiring connector for the fuel level sensor is "wonky". I disconnected the fuel level sensor as part of the inspection/cleaning, and when I did, I saw a small piece of 'metal' come out of it on both slots where the black and red wires go in. Now it will not make a solid connection when the connector goes back in.

Thinking I might be able to buy another fuel level sensor and use that... but if the pump is bad, I'd need a new pump which would include the fuel level sensor ...unless I got JUST the pump itself - took apart whole assembly and installed it and would then need the new fuel level sensor. What to do what to do...?

Thanks in advance for the continued guidance. Can't wait to fire this baby up.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm not the mechanic Ray is, but I think you shouldn't run that pump dry. The 'cycle for 2 seconds' may not stop running if it doesn't get fuel pressure... and the pump uses fuel as its cooling and lubrication.
I'd agree, but you should be able to key up and then turn the key off to kill the pump. No reason to let it run even 2 seconds

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,272 Posts
Likely won't hurt to cycle it dry, it's just two gears creating pressure....... can't see all your hose connections, but you could attach an inlet and outlet hose and pump some mineral spirits/Varsol/naptha/kerosene through it for the two seconds... or more.
As for your fuel sender, did the terminals pull out? Pics..... might be able to replace.

Reactions: Liquidsilver

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I just ordered a tank with fuel pump on ebay and confirmed it works... Crossing fingers. Between the two (mine and this new setup) I should be ready to fire the Monster!

Thank you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
New fuel pump and this ol' girl is up and Grrrrrowling!!! Runs fantastic. New battery on Friday. Changed oil today, rear end fluid tomorrow. Ain't no show-bike, but, with 33k miles, new Michelin Pilots and great brakes... For $1500 I'm pumped!!!

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
That is AWESOME! I loved my 2005 model.

Reactions: jpilk99
21 - 30 of 30 Posts