FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I am the thrilled new owner of an '05 FJR with 36k miles. Overall a very solid bike; body/seat/tires/electrical all good. But this bike sat in a garage for a few years and the fuel tank reflects it. Stinks. Full of black "shavings" of rust... Planning on:

1. Cleaning the tank thoroughly - it's off the bike now. Will vacuum out all the loose material, then blow out more with compressed air, and then planning to use Evaporust to fully clean the tank.
  2. Fixing/replacing fuel pump. It was pretty nasty in that tank. Not sure I can 'save' the fuel pump. Given the cost, I'd certainly like to. Any thoughts?
  3. Getting a new fuel filter
  4. Do I need to move "down stream" and do the fuel injectors?

Anybody else ever deal with this and have recommendations? Hoping that by cleaning the tank, new fuel filter, (clean the lines), and maybe running some Seafoam or the like to clean the downstream components like fuel injectors....that maybe that will be enough to get her back to running healthily.

Thoughts?

Thank you,

Jay

·
Registered
24 Posts
Do not use a vacuum to suck debris out of the tank, unless you like explosions. After cleaning the tank, I'd add fresh gas with something like Chevron Techron and see how she runs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kmev. Even with the fuel pump out and the tank lid removed? I've drained the bulk of the punked fuel out of the tank. You think there's stil risk of spark through vacuum or "blowing" out the scrap? Thanks on Techron recommendation

·
Registered
340 Posts
Liquid gas is pretty safe. Gasoline vapor goes boom.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks Kmev. Even with the fuel pump out and the tank lid removed? I've drained the bulk of the punked fuel out of the tank. You think there's stil risk of spark through vacuum or "blowing" out the scrap? Thanks on Techron recommendation
The spark risk isn't in the gas tank, its in the vacuum. You would be pulling gas vapors through an electric motor that is not rated for explosive fumes. There have been explosions doing this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a FJR with the nastyiest tank & gas there has ever been. The vapors & rust literally ate a hole in the top of the tank. The tank & fuel pump were tossed. Sourced tank from ebay & new OEM fuel pump. Since the bike just sat the bad gas never really made it beyond the fuel pump. Bike started up & ran fine after that. Ran a bottle of Chevron/Tekron after that & been riding ever since. Never touched the throttle bodies or injectors other than removing from bike & hitting them externally & thru the fuel lines with some MAF cleraner (safer on rubber & plastic than carb cleaner).

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Personally, I’d use some compressed air & a nozzle with a long tip to be able to get into the crevices and corners.

If it’s rusty I have used common toilet bowl cleaner to clean any rust and follow that up with a water flush and then some alcohol to dry things. Blow it out well, once you’ve got the chunks out then you need to coat the inside with some oil or I use Redkote tank sealer to keep it clean at that point, it also seals it up pin holes and glues any small pieces in place but I make a serious effort to get it all blown out. It just takes time.

other than that between the screens and filters you’ll probably be ok. I’d bench test the fuel pump to make sure it’s ok.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The typical way to clean up a fuel tank would be to toss some nuts and bolts or a piece of chain in the tank - add some solvent of your choice and start shaking. Then flush the tank out with the solvent of your choice until it comes out clean.

Be careful using compressed air if there are flammable vapors, you get static discharges off compressed air streams.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,279 Posts
Depends on the rust and how severe, show us some pics and let us know if you have flaking rust, clogged filter, etc..... like Oldjeep says or handful of marbles or ball bearings (assuming fuel pump out). There are rust removers for that purpose, and even electrolysis.... if mild, you could fill the tank with ordinary vinegar and let it sit a day, empty, filter your vinegar, do it again if necessary, rinse well with water. A better product is Evaporust, takes longer.
Hope you don't need a tank coating, that's just a whole can of worms, not all are created equal, some to be avoided. Search around on vintage bike sites for restoration tips......

If injectors are a concern, remove the filters and see if they are clogged up...... when in doubt, send them to an injector cleaner service who should be able to clean them and provide a flow report, will install new screens and o-rings, good as new.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great feedback, all. Thank you. Attached are some pics of the black flakes in the tank, peripheral rust on inlet, and then the fuel pump. I've had the pump out, (hence bottom "open"), and the lid off, (hence top "open"), for the last 24hours so I am confident vapors are disipated. I plan to use my compressor to blow out ALL chunks and reassess. I've used the nuts/bolts in tank process with Evaporust and had great results. Though I didn't then use a sealer treatment after, so I'll look more into that.

My big question is the fuel pump. Please see pics - tank level sensor are is rusty, but, 'circuit board' looks good. Body of pump is gunked up with those black flakes, so I plan to blow them out and clean the pump as best as possible. What do you folks think these black flakes are? They don't look like typical iron colored rust hunks. What more can I do to try and rescue/restore the pump? Given their cost of $400, I'd prefer to not have to buy another one - however, they are pretty important!!!! Thanks everyone. Can't wait to fire this baby up. Only 36k miles, new Michelin pilots... Going to check all fluids. Electricals good. Cosmetics ...could be better but for the $1500 I paid, I'm okay with that!

Jay

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,279 Posts
Black flakes likely rust... wow, not envying you. Fill with a mild solution of dish soap and water, rinse out before blowing out. I would do the Evaporust treatment, no coating if I could get away with it.... eventually rinse again, and isopropyl alcohol will dissolve any residual water.
You'll have to clean that pump out best you can and test it works..... sorry have no experience on replacing Yamaha pumps with an aftermarket version but have done with generic Honda ones that aren't all encased in plastic like FJR pumps.......

Reactions: jpilk99

·
Registered
340 Posts
Personally I would be looking for a better tank. All that rust used to be metal, so even if you get it cleaned up there is a lot of metal missing from somewhere.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Oldjeep. I may be doing that. I'll see how things look post-clean up and go from there. Would save me a few hunge if I didn't have to get new tank & pump. But obviously want a healthy bike as opposed to a fatter wallet.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So, the tank cleaned up pretty well with just compressed air and a vacuum. Going to let Evaporust and 50 nuts/bolts do their magic for the next day or so. I did the same with the pump, then took it apart and got all the garbage out of it. Put it back together and would like to bench test it. Can't seem to find a wiring diagram for these so hoping someone here can tell me which pin is positive & negative; pics attached. Thank you so much!

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,279 Posts
Check mating plug on harness for orientation..... Red/Light Blue is power, Black is ground.
Fuel sender unit connector has Green/White and Black/White.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think at this point I may just finish cleaning tank and install the pump to test :cool: . Does it make a noise, like the one in my truck, that buy just turning ignition to "on" I'll hear it?

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,279 Posts
When you turn ignition on, fuel pump should cycle for 2 seconds........

Reactions: jpilk99
1 - 20 of 30 Posts