FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning a trip to France and SW Germany after the world cup. Any tips re small hotel chains for cheap as chips clean OK accomodation in the land of the Germans !! :D

·
Registered
141 Posts
Stay out of the near vicinity of large cities, and you can get a cheap but good hotel just about anywhere. I have had excellent hotels for €15-€20/night. Though admittingly, those will probably be hard to find in the Black Forrest area.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Was taking a look at the BMF touring forum yesterday, and there's a link to the German FJR website http://www.fjr-tourer.de/.
One of their web pages has links to biker friendly hotels that might be sponsors for their meetings, or partners to the German bike touring club. Or possibly something else :oops: German's not my strong point.

You can find it by clicking on the FJR logo on their home page, then clicking on "Sponsoren Hotels" in the list on the extreme left.

We regularly stay in Ibis hotels, and have no complaints, but like a lot of chains they can be a bit impersonal. Another alternative for the French bit of your trip is the Logis de France . They are independantly owned and can be really good value. The ones we've stayed at have been excellent.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many thanks

.. I am OK with France, well versed with Ibis, Formula 1's etc etc, not sure if they extend into Germany hence my question re any german equivilent.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hotels

Hey, I live in Germany and speak ze lingo, if you need some assistance let me know. Pleased to help if I can.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hotels in Europe

IBIS, ETAP, and Formule1 are all Accor hotels. I'll be staying at a collection of them in Amsterdam, Berlin, Vienna, Strasborg, and Liseux.

I'll let everyone know my impressions.

Here's my schedule if anyone would like to meet up

June 13 - Amsterdam

June 14 - Berlin

June 15-18 - Prague

June 19, 20 - Vienna

June 21 - Fussen (via Salzburg and Munich)

June 22 - Strasborg

June 23-25 - Paris

June 26 - Liseux

June 27 - July 8 - UK and Ireland.

Anyone who would like to offer advice or warnings you can contact me at [email protected]

·
Registered
15 Posts
...made it back. 3,500 miles on the rental. I know that number would be impressive to any group but this. The ETAP hotels were a good combination between having everything you needed in a room, some locations with secure parking, and a price I could live with.

The greatest disappiontment on the trip was discovering what the FJR was truly built for then having to come back to the States where the Nannies don't think we should drive faster than their chariots would carry them.

I've fiddled endlessly with the aeros on my bike here but a stock '05 was just fine cruising at 90-110.

What a ride.

Thom

PS For future reference don't ride a bike with UK plates in Germany during the World Cup. Although I only got pulled over once for speeding after being passed by three cars. :(

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
fretless said:
...PS For future reference don't ride a bike with UK plates in Germany during the World Cup. Although I only got pulled over once for speeding after being passed by three cars. :(
:crylarf: Just think how much worse it could have been if Germany and England had played each other!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts