FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reviews of the 2006 that I've seen, have positive reviews of the handling for the new bike. Both Motorcycle Daily and Motorcycle Consumer News (California) remark that the bike handles well cruising and in the tight stuff, "hiding it's bulk". I find it interesting Yamaha has achieve this with the 1.3" longer swingarm. So, whats up?

Gathering details of suspension dimensions is difficult, the Y website being unreliable. Most info claims the wheelbase has increased and the trail/rake of the forks remains identicle. I'm left to surmise that the shock and fork springs have been stiffened to eliminate much of the lazy/spongy response of the earlier bikes. Anybody have any insight?

With upgraded Wilbers and RaceTech parts, my '03 is tack sharp relative to the stock suspension. This leads me to think suspension upgrades could be helping the '06, regardless of the longer wheelbase. And, what if the rake and trail have been adjusted to compensate for the longer swingarm? It would be nice to know how Y have dealt with the issue. Now, if I could get over the increase bulk of the new bike.

In San Diego, BAGSTR

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
A longer swingarm can also change the weight distribution of the bike towards the front... as long as you're not turning something the length of the Queen Mary.

OBTW - there was a VERY perceptible difference between the stock suspensions (before upgrades) between my '03 and my '05. The '05 was much better. Perhaps they continued improving for '06. Pity the weight gain, for low-speed manuevering and power-to-weight.

20valves would be an excellent source for the handling differences between the '03s-'05 vs. the '06s, because he's had both... and he uses far more of the sporting capacity of the FJR than most. The last time I got back on an FJR ('04) after riding the Duc, it feels as wide and heavy as a GoldWing. (but it suuuuuure is comfortable - ahhhh!)

:)

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
I think the '06 suspension is very good for the pilot. I run mine on hard on the rear shock with one more click of rebound damping. I ran in one more ring of preload on the front (stiffer) and one click less compression damping. I run the tires (020's) at the recommended 39 f, 42r. I weigh about 200# without gear.

If you ride aggressively two-up, I think the the thing is a but undersprung in the rear. The forks have enough range to accomodate just about anything, the rear would need more spring for super sporty two up and full bags. If I have the bags full with just me on it, it's about right hustling at a good clip. With just me on it and no bags, it handles VERY well. Full bags plus passenger...unless you're a midget couple, you'll want more rear spring. If you ride less aggessively two up, you should be fine. Overall, I think the available spring and damping rates are very good for solo work of any kind.

Otherwise, I love the handling of the 06. Very nice feel from the front, good grip, decent clearance. And this bike is soooo comfy. I have the nice firm seat in the high position and the bars full forward and it fits me perfectly. This arrangement lowers the bars in relation to the seat a good bit giving a sportier layout which I really like. Conversly, bars close and seat low might suit others to a T. The differences are subtle, but very useful. I am certain I could do a 600 mile day on this bike with zero complaint.

BTW, I got a bonus when tightening my steering head bearings. I found my steering stem bolt, the one that goes on top of the top clamp, to be be on with only about 30Nm of torque (I think it it suposed to 85Nm). After buttoning up everything to spec, my handlebar vibration completely disappeared. The thing is super smooth all the way to 90 mph. Guess I'll put off the TBS for a bit longer.

All in, I think the 06 is a very nice improvement to previous models. Oh yeah, still not sure about the middle fairing adjustment. It makes a bigger still air envelope around your legs but I can't tell if it makes it warmer or not. I leave them in the narrower config.

Cheers! 8) :ale:

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I found my 06 definitely feels lighter to handle than my previous 2 FJR's. But I found that with book standard suspension setup, the front springs were way too soft, well over 2 inches of sag, and the compression damping too hard, harsh ride. I increased the front spring pre-load to maximum, which is only just enough, and reduced the compression damping by about 3 clicks.

I am happy with the back. I take a light pillion (50 Kg) and still leave the back spring on soft. The ride is now more comfortable than my previous 2 bikes, and the handling is good. I am a fairly fast rider, but certainly no racer.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well then, overall quite positive.

Thanks Guys.

BAGSTR

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
20valves said:
I found my steering stem bolt, the one that goes on top of the top clamp, to be be on with only about 30Nm of torque (I think it it suposed to 85Nm). After buttoning up everything to spec, my handlebar vibration completely disappeared.
Oh no! 20valves has been playing with wrenches again!? He might get banished from the country club if Biff and Muffy find out! :shock:

;)

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
BAGSTR said:
Reviews of the 2006 that I've seen, have positive reviews of the handling for the new bike. Both Motorcycle Daily and Motorcycle Consumer News (California) remark that the bike handles well cruising and in the tight stuff, "hiding it's bulk". I find it interesting Yamaha has achieve this with the 1.3" longer swingarm. So, whats up?

In San Diego, BAGSTR
I don't understand why Yamaha lengthened the swingarm as I have never found the handling to be twitchy but a longer swingarm will be better in touring mode as it would make it more stable.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Liquidsilver said:
Oh no! 20valves has been playing with wrenches again!? :shock: ;)
That's what I get after helping you properly install my rear brake anchor at the track? I am not completely clueless with tools. :p

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
woody said:
I don't understand why Yamaha lengthened the swingarm as I have never found the handling to be twitchy but a longer swingarm will be better in touring mode as it would make it more stable.
The bike is very stable but then so was my '03. Without riding the '03 and '06 back to back it's hard to say what, if any, compromises have been made. Imho, the bike handles very well. I will only say the thing will still hustle when the road goes twisty. It still changes direction well.

I know they added length to the R1 swingarm primarily so it would accept the taller race tires now available. I doubt that was a consideration with the FJR. Maybe OC called Yam and told 'em some freaks were doing wheelies on the thing so they made the gearing taller and the swingarm longer. I must say, it will still wheelie, but not nearly as easily as the '03. :cry: :wink:

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I dont know the numbers but its pig to put on the centerstand compared to my Mk1.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
I hate to hit this another lick, but I am really curious. I have read several posts about puting 04 or 05 fork springs on the 03 as the 04 and 05 had more coils and were a little stiffer. Someone posted the specs for both the 03 and 04 and they seem to a suspension neophyte like me to have very minor differences. My question to the community is, has any of you done this? I need to change my fork oil anyway and even though there are no 04-05 fork springs on Ebay right now, I'm pretty sure I could email some of the breakers with lots of fjr parts on there and someone would sell me a set reasonably. I am not going to do any major upgrading of my suspension. A Russell Day Long is my next purchase and much more important to my plans to do some long distance riding than the suspension right now. PS my 03 really does wheelie nicely, sweeeet. Philharmonic

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
I had an '03 and an '05. The '03 springs were too soft and made the bike wallowy when going into turns. Installing '04 springs were easy for me and made a decent difference.

I went suspension crazy on the '05 and replaced the shock with a Wilber's unit, and replaced the '05 fork springs with good springs of proper rate. Another step stiffer than the '04 - '05 stocker. That bike was very well sorted in the suspension department.

Springs are easy to replace, especially if you are going to change your fork oil anyway, so I'd just get new springs at the right rate for you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts