FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Unfortunately, looking at the pictures, it seems that the lock goes through the chin strap.
I went to a show a couple of years ago and left my helmet on the seat with a flexible and very strong, lock going through the visor opening and around the rear grab handles. After a couple of hours I went back to my bike and my helmet was still sitting there. Unlike the two lads who had left their expensive helmets on a chin strap buckle 'lock'. A low life had just cut the straps and made off with the helmets.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Unfortunately, looking at the pictures, it seems that the lock goes through the chin strap.
The locks are designed to use the "D" rings in the chin strap.

Should someone cut the chin strap, the helmet is useless...

·
Registered
923 Posts
The locks are designed to use the "D" rings in the chin strap.

Should someone cut the chin strap, the helmet is useless...

That is exactly what happened to the two lads I met at the show. If there is a soft fabric strap left it is easy enough to fit a new buckle with a needle and thread. Here in the UK and probably in the US there is a problem with teenage crooks stealing mopeds, they are hardly likely to worry about the buckle on a helmet. The only safe way to leave a helmet on a bike is a flexible high security lock through the visor opening and through the grab handles or wheel.
And take the visor with you or they will have that !

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,001 Posts
That is exactly what happened to the two lads I met at the show. If there is a soft fabric strap left it is easy enough to fit a new buckle with a needle and thread. Here in the UK and probably in the US there is a problem with teenage crooks stealing mopeds, they are hardly likely to worry about the buckle on a helmet. The only safe way to leave a helmet on a bike is a flexible high security lock through the visor opening and through the grab handles or wheel.
And take the visor with you or they will have that !
Why you gotta continue to piss on someone else's parade? Use them if you want, don't if you don't.

In all of my travels I've used them regularly and never once have I had a helmet or a visor stolen. In fact, I used one yesterday and lo & behold, God Almighty be praised, my helmet is still there.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Why you gotta continue to piss on someone else's parade? Use them if you want, don't if you don't.

In all of my travels I've used them regularly and never once have I had a helmet or a visor stolen. In fact, I used one yesterday and lo & behold, God Almighty be praised, my helmet is still there.
There is no need to be offensive
All I have done is post my experience. The two lads helmets were fixed to their bikes exactly as shown in the picture. The straps were cut and the helmets stolen - that is absolute fact and they were distraught. No, it will not happen every time you go out, but sooner or later it may and the best way to avoid your helmet being stolen is to secure it properly.

·
Registered
2018 FJR1300ES
3,299 Posts
Precisely.

·
Registered
672 Posts
First time I have ever read/heard of anyone ever having their visor stolen?? Never would have thought anyone would go to that much trouble.

My Schuberth helmet has no D rings and I on occasion cable lock it but not often. So far after 40yrs of riding ,I have not had my gear messed with. (looking for a block of wood to knock on)

Reactions: Bill Lumberg

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
What I find "funny" is Yamaha has been using these EXACT LOCKs for literally decades...

All of a sudden, their useless....???

I just design and make a bracket to attach THESE locks to the FJR W/O any mods.

Anyway, some pic's with the additional electrical tab for BMW style outlet (for heated clothing, battery chargers, air compressors, etc):

ES model:

Reactions: Bill Lumberg

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Scott, I must’ve missed something since i’m Sure you’ve probably posted it sometime/someplace since they’ve been posted many times but anyway,,, how much are these ?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Scott, I must've missed something since i'm Sure you've probably posted it sometime/someplace since they've been posted many times but anyway,,, how much are these ?
There's 6 versions for your bike (3 each side, no outlet, one outlet, two outlet tabs).

From $24-(no tabs) to $33 (double tabs) each, lock NOT included. Yamaha part # included so you get the correct assembly (to key the same as your ignition key).

For options, please e-mail me direct at [email protected] for options, prices, links, instructions, etc. PLEASE put the year FJR in the header in the e-mail so I don't delete it as spam...

Thanks..

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,001 Posts
Not sure if they can be found anymore but way, way back when I installed these I used Helmet Guardian locks. I took a spare locksmith-made key to my nearest BMW dealer and asked to try my key in the Guardian locks. It fit and as luck would have it, with a little jiggling I was able to unlock it. So I took it home, re-did the tumblers a little and voila! The same key fit ignition, saddlebags, factory trunk, seat release and helmet locks.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Not sure if they can be found anymore but way, way back when I installed these I used Helmet Guardian locks. I took a spare locksmith-made key to my nearest BMW dealer and asked to try my key in the Guardian locks. It fit and as luck would have it, with a little jiggling I was able to unlock it. So I took it home, re-did the tumblers a little and voila! The same key fit ignition, saddlebags, factory trunk, seat release and helmet locks.
The Helmet Guardians are what I had on my 04 FJR. Helmet Guardians , like Yamaha have different internals(key off set) 50% of the time. IE, you may get an HG with the OPPOSITE offset as the Yamaha key (and won't be able to be re-keyed).

The Yamaha lock assembly that IS THE SAME as the FJR key offset is part # 4R8-21308-01-00 .

All the outsides look the same, and will bolt up to my brackets, but this part # is what's needed..

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Just a bump as brackets are still available.

Again, please e-mail me DIRECT @ [email protected] . Plz put FJR, the year and if an ES model in the header so I don't delete as spam..

I'll forward pic's, options, prices, etc.

Thanks, Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
I haven't followed this thread but may be interested. Have you posted anywhere a photo of a full face helmet attached to your helmet lock? I'm curious as to how far the helmet would be away from the exhaust pipe.
EDIT: never mind. I found it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I haven't followed this thread but may be interested. Have you posted anywhere a photo of a full face helmet attached to your helmet lock? I'm curious as to how far the helmet would be away from the exhaust pipe.
A full helmet isn't an issue..

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,001 Posts
I installed helmet locks on both sides as Ken the HD Guy doesn't have locks on his bike either. It doesn't matter which side you attach a full face or modular on, nothing gets melted.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
Just curious how much one of these locks goes for, on a 2013?
There's 's three options for EACH SIDE..

The price for bracket and hardware (no lock), is from $25 -$33 each (again, depending if you opt for an electrical tab(s).

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Duplicate post...

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,001 Posts
Just curious how much one of these locks goes for, on a 2013?
You purchase the brackets from here, the locks from elsewhere. Back in the day (2011 or '12) when I installed mine I used the Helmet Guardian license plate setup, removed from their plate & re-keyed the locks, mounted onto these brackets and put them on the bike, one on each side.

Back then there where 2 different locks. One type would take a replica of our ignition key- the factory one was too fat but a copy was perfect. I went to my local BMW dealer who stocks Helmet Guardian and was lucky enough to find a lock set that, with a little jiggling, my key would open. So I did a quick tumbler mod and voila! Same key for everything! You may have to search deep but the fjrforum had a thread with pics for re-doing the lock tumblers. It was pretty easy, less than 5 minutes each.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts