FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the introduction of the new Gen III bike, helmet lock brackets (which utilize either a Helmet Guardian lock assembly or genuine Yamaha lock assembly) is now available. The Gen II brackets (with the optional tab for BMW style electrical outlets) DO fit the Gen III bikes. Gen I bike brackets are available.

If interested, please e-mail me direct at [email protected] PLEASE mention in the header: FJR lock brackets as well as the year bike. I'll forward additional pictures, option, order form, etc.

Thanks, Scott

Below are pictures of a 2013 FJR with the lock assemblies installed (no outlets).

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Helmet Lock brackets

Some pictures that got deleted in the first post:

Gen 1, right side

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Additonal pictures

As requested, some pictures of helmets securred to the lock assemblies. Pic's are of both an 2007 model and 2013 model. Brackets install at the same place on both bikes:

Please click on the image for a close up view.

Thanks Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
2014 model update

Ok Guys (and gals).

With the help of a fellow FJR rider, we have confirmed the RIGHT SIDE bracket for the 2013 will fit ALL 2014 MODELS.

***For the LEFT SIDE, the ES MODEL ONLY, (with the new shock hardware), the CURRENT Left Side helmet lock bracket will NOT FIT the 2014 model

The STANDARD 2014, LEFT SIDE should be same as the '13 however I have yet to confirm that.

Another member is also helping with checking the fitment of an alternate, LOCK ONLY bracket of the ES version (similar to the Gen I), more to follow.

Pic of a 2014 bike (ES model):

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2014 ES, LEFT SIDE lock bracket

After a month or so with MUCH help of another 2014 ES owner (and alot of shipping protoypes for test fitting), we have come up with a left side LOCK BRACKET ONLY (NO electrical outlets). It resides at about the location as the previous helmet lock brackets..(see below pic)

We are still working out some bugs, re electrical connectors on the Dual, RIGHT SIDE, outlet bracket (space issues with the electronic rear shock).

Once that's sorted, ES left side brackets will be available. The standard 2014 model accepts the previous lock brackets (this is SPECIFIC to the ES LEFT SIDE). I will post when their available.

BTW, with the simpler design, I was able to cut the cost down to $24.00 (plus shipping).

·
Registered
240 Posts
What is the purpose of the electrical outlet incorporated into the helmet lock?

How much would a set be for my 2013 A model

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
What is the purpose of the electrical outlet incorporated into the helmet lock?

How much would a set be for my 2013 A model
The outlet is commonly used for easy electrical access for air compressors, battery chargers, electrical clothing. I mostly used mine for electrical clothing as the cord (from your vest) would run down your side and plug is vs plugging somewhere up from, flopping about the tank, etc). Also, if you forget to un-plug when dismounting, the cord simply pops out, no damage to the bike (or you).

The 2014 ES MODEL left side is now available. The ES suspended bike has made some major changes/challenges in the area's my brackets attach to.

Almost done testing is a left side, 2014 ES MODEL bracket WITH a single electrical outlet tab:

Re ordering the bracket(s), (I do NOT SELL the locks), for your 2013 model, there are 6 different styles (different prices).

Please e-mail me direct @ [email protected] . PLEASE POST in the header 2013 FJR (so it doesn't get deleted as spam).

ALSO, I am offering FREE SHIPPING IN THE lower 48 US for the month of February, 2014.

Thanks, Scott

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
For the 2014 ES (and standard 2014), a lock only and a lock with optional electrical tab (for a BMW style Powerlet outlet) is NOW available in frame matching silver metallic (for the LEFT SIDE):

Right side:

Please e-mail me direct at [email protected] for additional pictures, links, order form etc, if interested. Please mention in the header FJR (so it doesn't get deleted as spam). Helmet lock brackets are also available for ALL year FJR's as well.

Thanks, Scott

·
Registered
4 Posts
Scott is awesome. So is the lock.

I feel compelled to bump the thread to thank Scott publicly for his quick service and helpful advice, and for having put together a great product. The first time I had to carry my helmet from bike to office I thought, "Nope, bike needs a lock for this thing," and am happy to report my good fortune at having stumbled upon Scott's offer.

2014 FJR1300, 2005 FZ1

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I feel compelled to bump the thread to thank Scott publicly for his quick service and helpful advice, and for having put together a great product. The first time I had to carry my helmet from bike to office I thought, "Nope, bike needs a lock for this thing," and am happy to report my good fortune at having stumbled upon Scott's offer.

2014 FJR1300, 2005 FZ1
Thank you for your kind words (and business too!)

Obviously, all FJR brackets are available (and other bikes) and will be (its a hobby for me) as long as I'm breathing. I do get e-mails asking if their still available, they are!!

Actually, you have the first non ES left side, single outlet bracket, (same as the other gen II and gen III brackets:

Hope you don't mind the use of YOUR picture/bike, its the only one have of the '14 model

·
Registered
351 Posts
I apologize if I missed something, but it appears the helmet may contact the exhaust?

·
Registered
357 Posts
I apologize if I missed something, but it appears the helmet may contact the exhaust?
The helmet should be able to rest on one of the foot pegs, not on the exhaust in my experience with using them.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
In post #2, picture #2, the marks on the left exhaust pipe are from foot / boot marks, not a helmet..

As posted above, depending on your helmet, using the rear foot peg (or not) keeps the helmet safely away from the muffler.

With that said, a customer, years ago, found that with the standard Helmet Guardian, attached to the tag bracket, allowed the helmet shell to touch the ends of the exhaust pipes. He subsequently had the helmet checked and found it had internal heat damage (not visable from the outside or inside). If using the HG set up, its a good idea to let the mufflers cool down some or place something inbetween the muffler and helmet if immediatly attaching the helmet to the HG.

Just as a side note, I've been designing and manufacturing helmet lock brackets since 2004 (for my own '04 FJR) and well as many BMW's (under "Easy Helmet lock"-http://pirateslair.net/HelmetlockS1000RR.htm . Same design, just no options as there are for the FJR.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Thank you gentlemen for the clarification. A helmet lock would surely be a good thing. It is hard to find a good location to secure helmets on these bikes as reflected in previous posts, as well as in my own experience.
Tim

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Townsend are you still making the helmet locks ? Tried to email you and got it sent back to me !!
Yes I am still making them. Same e-mail address. All in stock, all now frame matching silver.

Please e-mail me direct @ [email protected] for options, order form, pic's(pretty much the same above), etc..

**Please mention in the header FJR, the year and if an ES model** so I don't delete it as spam..

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, its that time of the year!

Now thru August 31, 2016, (for the continental US), I'm offering Free shipping on TWO brackets or $4.00 shipping on ONE helmet lock bracket.

Pay Pal is accepted. Please e-mail me at [email protected] and post in the header, FJR, the year and if an ES model (as the left side ES models utilize a different bracket).

Thanks and safe riding! Scott

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,997 Posts
Yo Scott! Glad to see you're still making these. The ones I got and put on my '07 yrs ago are still going strong. The right side gets used only occasionally but the left one is a keeper.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yo Scott! Glad to see you're still making these. The ones I got and put on my '07 yrs ago are still going strong. The right side gets used only occasionally but the left one is a keeper.
Excellent and glad to hear your using them! I should put a lifetime warranty on them as there's really nothing to wear out!

I've never had to replace one but certainly would if there was an issue.. I've had several repeat customers when the ES model came out, so that's good..

Yep, I'll keep making them as long as I'm kicking, keeps me out of trouble AND, I like the farkle Yamaha forgot to put on the greatest bike made!

And they still are the same price as yours, many years later!!

Free shipping thru August for 2!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pic's

As Photobucket deleted my pic's, here's some pic's of the brackets and locks installed:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts