FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any pics of their dash shelves? .. I am building a new one. Im most interested in the mount points.

I cannot seem to see the pics in the older posts.

Thanks
Herb

·
Registered
34 Posts
Anyone have any pics of their dash shelves? .. I am building a new one. Im most interested in the mount points.

I cannot seem to see the pics in the older posts.

Thanks
Herb

i have a dash shelf with a radar detector, GoPro, and GPS mounted. I will take pics tomorrow and share.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,561 Posts
I don't have pics of one, but when they come, you'll see two short arms mount to the two screws on the inboard side of the instruments on each side. When you have to remove the large black panel over the instruments, you have to somehow support the dash shelf..... if you are building your own, see my pic where I bolted my homemade shelf to the upper side of the plastic on either side of the "hood". Might give you an idea....

Tire Hood Automotive tire Tread Alloy wheel

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just realized the current one I built a couple years ago, that mounts to the nose cowel and the ones on the inside of the plastic around the dash is totally sported by plastic.. Im hoping to come up with something different.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have pics of one, but when they come, you'll see two short arms mount to the two screws on the inboard side of the instruments on each side. When you have to remove the large black panel over the instruments, you have to somehow support the dash shelf..... if you are building your own, see my pic where I bolted my homemade shelf to the upper side of the plastic on either side of the "hood". Might give you an idea....

View attachment 82376
Cool thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also have a front strut that goes to a well nut in the front cowel. I hope to make the new one come further back and cut out a notch so I can see the signal indicaters better. I also think I can get the gps a bit more forward.

·
Registered
2014 FJR-A
80 Posts
I originally ordered one of the Gen 3 dash shelves from someone thru this forum, and when received I realized it was way bigger than I wanted. But I used that as a pattern to build my own smaller shelf. I too was not happy with the shelf being supported only by plastic, so I added some small angle iron (aluminum) braces behind the plastic to a more solid point lower down. Seemed to make the whole structure more rigid. Still flexes some on rough roads, but not as bad as originally. You can see them immediately to the left and right of the dash display.

Automotive lighting Speedometer Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design
Hood Automotive design Water Wood Sculpture
Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Flooring Wood

I still have the original shelf new in the box, never installed.

Material property Font Fashion accessory Event Brand

dan

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. -- Hegel

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I originally ordered one of the Gen 3 dash shelves from someone thru this forum, and when received I realized it was way bigger than I wanted. But I used that as a pattern to build my own smaller shelf. I too was not happy with the shelf being supported only by plastic, so I added some small angle iron (aluminum) braces behind the plastic to a more solid point lower down. Seemed to make the whole structure more rigid. Still flexes some on rough roads, but not as bad as originally. You can see them immediately to the left and right of the dash display.

View attachment 82381 View attachment 82382 View attachment 82383 View attachment 82384

View attachment 82385

dan

Nice, I will look into something like that tomorrow. Is the lower bolt in the angle going into an existing hole?

·
Registered
2014 FJR-A
80 Posts
Nice, I will look into something like that tomorrow. Is the lower bolt in the angle going into an existing hole?

Yes, I don't remember exactly, but it was an existing hole in the dash support with an existing bolt in it. I just added my brace under that bolt. Look around and you'll find a suitable location for the lower end.
At the top, the tab end goes between the existing u-nut and the black plastic dash surround. A longer screw was needed to reach through all the extra layers.
Had to shave a little off the brace on the left to clear the windshield mechanism, you can see the two black marks where material was removed. The bends on the right brace took a couple of tries to fit, it ain't pretty, but it can't be seen when dressed.

dan

I worry that the person who thought up Muzak may be thinking up something else. - Lily Tomlin

Reactions: Herb Farr

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just realized the current one I built a couple years ago, that mounts to the nose cowel and the ones on the inside of the plastic around the dash is totally sported by plastic.. Im hoping to come up with something different.
Unfortunately there is nothing but plastic in that area. If you find better mounting points please share.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My dash. Tried to highlight mounting points. Unfortunately mounting points are all on plastic. However, have not had any issues since installing over a year ago. Been on several long distance trips.
Vehicle Automotive lighting Motorcycle Automotive tire Hood
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive mirror
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design
Automotive tire Plant T-shirt Automotive design Automotive exterior
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Registered
34 Posts

View attachment 82381 View attachment 82382 View attachment 82383 View attachment 82384

View attachment 82385

dan

I like your solution. What method did you use to bend the angle iron? Looks like the right side required some bending.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,561 Posts
FYI, for the single screw at the nose, there is no hole..... put masking tape on and mark the hole location..... I drilled a 5mm hole and used a 5mm screw with a washer and nyloc nut on the back, clear plastic washer in between paint and the shelf. You could drill an even larger hole and use a standard rubber well nut like is mounting the windshield, very commonly available. I wanted to be able to plug the hole later, so kept it small.

I had issues with interference to my V-stream windshield, so I shimmed up the entire windshield motor bracket 1/2" at each of the 4 mounting points. Worked a treat and reduces buffeting. You can vary the shim thickness at each pair of points to tilt the windshield.... dan's smaller shelf looks like a good solution for that too.

·
Registered
2014 FJR-A
80 Posts
I like your solution. What method did you use to bend the angle iron? Looks like the right side required some bending.
I'm just a poor boy, overstuffed garage (I have to go outside to change my mind), no machine tools, no lathes, presses, surface grinders, vertical mills, welders, torches, stamping machines, sand blast cabinet, paint booth...............you get the picture. Probably like most folks!!
Can't remember for sure, but I probably clamped the angle in a vise and hit it with a hammer, or maybe used vise grips.
The rest was finished with hand tools, files, drill, etc. Most of my work is fairly crude, but most of it is covered up where it doesn't show, much.
I never thought to take photos, I never thought anyone else would care...........sorry. Oh, I'm not about to take it apart to make photos and measurements.:rolleyes:
It was a case of give it a shot and test fit, repeat until success.

BTW anyone with even a modest amount of imagination could probably dream up a better solution. For example a steel tube, or steel rod, might be easier to bend and then the ends strategically flattened and drilled in the proper orientations to bolt up. I just used what was handy.
Are you listening Ray??? There might be a business opportunity here!!

For the shelf, I borrowed a cheap bandsaw from a neighbor, bought a metal cutting blade, drew a pattern on a scrap piece of aluminum and started cutting. Everything else was done with hand tools, files, drills, hammer (did I mention hammer before), etc. If I were doing it again, I would make a few minor changes, but fundamentally the same.

Motor vehicle Light Vehicle Automotive lighting Car
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Fixture

No need to mention how dirty the scooter is, I'm aware!! Not finished riding it yet.

007s photos are of the same dash shelf I originally bought and thought was larger than I wanted. I used that as a pattern for my smaller shelf. My shelf is shorter side to side, and shorter front to back. I still have that shelf new in the box, never installed.

I had issues with interference to my V-stream windshield, so I shimmed up the entire windshield motor bracket 1/2" at each of the 4 mounting points. Worked a treat ... Ray

I also had a small interference problem, I just bent the front brace on the shelf to clear the windshield bracket (did I mention hammer before), never even thought of shimming the windshield bracket. Good idea.

dan

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,561 Posts
dan, I bent the front section in a curve to clear the windshield initially.... my buddy bought my '14 and we played with shimming.... ended up shimming the whole darn thing up, he's very happy with the lack of turbulence on the V-Stream now.

I custom make (mostly aluminum) brackets, etc., drill press, vice, hammer, hacksaw, angle grinder, files, jig saw.... no production equipment. I wouldn't make any money even at $10 per hour, lol.

·
Registered
2014 FJR-A
80 Posts
I custom make (mostly aluminum) brackets, etc., drill press, vice, hammer, hacksaw, angle grinder, files, jig saw.... no production equipment. I wouldn't make any money even at $10 per hour, lol.
I figured you would custom engineer a set, then send it out for production!! 😁 ;)👍
Don't really know how many would be interested, most don't put shelves on their scooters.
You know, form over function.

You've mentioned the shimming of the windshield bracket before; now you're going to make me have to give it an experimental test drive to see how well it works for me. Damnit!! 🤓

dan

Everyone has a scheme that will not work. -- Howe's Law

Reactions: RaYzerman
1 - 18 of 18 Posts