FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300 Liquid Silver
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just added spacers to the base of my windscreen actuator to stimulate the Rifle Tuning Block. (2003 FJR1300)
The block, if it is available, is fifty bucks. I bought a bagful of screws and spacers for less than fifteen. Don't get me wrong; the Block is a nice piece that I'd love to have, but I just couldn't.

Many have done this, but they always leave out the details and photos, so here is what I actually used.

The spacers are thin walled steel. The thin wall allowed them to seat well in spite of the angle between the two surfaces once they are spaced apart.
They are 1/2' long (13mm) but only created a 5/16" (8mm) gap, give or take.

I removed the plastic windshield screws, the outer trim and the windshield.
Next, I removed the two countersunk screws from the base of the windshield mount and stored them in my parts box.
I then separated the mount from the actuator and installed the spacers using the M6 x 30mm countersunk screws. Take your time when aligning the screws. Start them with your fingers.
Tighten the screws and re-install the windshield.

Here are the photos:

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300R / 2007 Husq SMR 510
731 Posts
I just added spacers to the base of my windscreen actuator to stimulate the Rifle Tuning Block. (2003 FJR1300)
The block, if it is available, is fifty bucks. I bought a bagful of screws and spacers for less than fifteen. Don't get me wrong; the Block is a nice piece that I'd love to have, but I just couldn't.

Many have done this, but they always leave out the details and photos, so here is what I actually used.

The spacers are thin walled steel. The thin wall allowed them to seat well in spite of the angle between the two surfaces once they are spaced apart.
They are 1/2' long (13mm) but only created a 5/16" (8mm) gap, give or take.

I removed the plastic windshield screws, the outer trim and the windshield.
Next, I removed the two countersunk screws from the base of the windshield mount and stored them in my parts box.
I then separated the mount from the actuator and installed the spacers using the M6 x 30mm countersunk screws. Take your time when aligning the screws. Start them with your fingers.
Tighten the screws and re-install the windshield.

Here are the photos:

I'll be the idiot.... What does this do? I am guessing it puts a different angle on the windscreen?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll be the idiot.... What does this do? I am guessing it puts a different angle on the windscreen?
It lets more air in behind the screen to reduce the buffeting noise when the screen is up. That and the more laid back angle lessens the vacuum pocket.

When the screen is down, the lower angle puts wind across my shoulders instead of my neck.

I'll have a better feel for the change during my work commute next week. It's a very long, consistent route.

·
Registered
731 Posts
It lets more air in behind the screen to reduce the buffeting noise when the screen is up. That and the more laid back angle lessens the vacuum pocket.

When the screen is down, the lower angle puts wind across my shoulders instead of my neck.

I'll have a better feel for the change during my work commute next week. It's a very long, consistent route.

I ride for hours... like 16 hours at a go with the windshield down. I really only put it up when the wind gusts are ridiculous or in the rain but I would love to know what other people use it for and how they make it better.

I still don't fully understand what "buffeting" is or how to fight it.

·
Premium Member
2003 FJR1300
87 Posts
Interesting!

I too ride primarily with the windshield down unless airborn projectiles inspire me to raise it. Riding to Ruidoso a while back we hit three birds in a 50 mile stretch. Talking over the intercom is also way easier with it up, but less wind means more heat so down it stays.

I drilled two 2" holes in the Vstream to help with that vacuum pocket. I'm seriously considering cutting that tall windshield down a few inches or sourcing a stock windshield.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have definitely tried using it and I found it did the same thing. When I have it all the way up it is okay and calmer but pulls my head forward and I am not really a fan of that feeling as I am used to the wind pressing my head back. When it is almost all the way up id does this weird thing where it makes my helmet do like a bobblehead wiggle around. When it is really windy on the interstate I usually put it like 1/4 of the way up and it cuts the wind and air and makes it not as annoying. I do sit way higher on the bike with my seat and am 6'4" so I was never really behind the windscreen ever. I was wondering if anyone has ever tinted theirs as I only use it as a defector and never look actually through it to see anything.

Riding to Ruidoso a while back we hit three birds in a 50 mile stretch.
THREE BIRDS!?!?!?!?! WTF I have seen them get close but never hit one. I did hit a bat with my shoulder a few weeks ago and it was like a hackysack getting launched out of a cannon. Such an odd sensation.

·
Premium Member
2003 FJR1300
87 Posts
I have definitely tried using it and I found it did the same thing. When I have it all the way up it is okay and calmer but pulls my head forward and I am not really a fan of that feeling as I am used to the wind pressing my head back. When it is almost all the way up id does this weird thing where it makes my helmet do like a bobblehead wiggle around. When it is really windy on the interstate I usually put it like 1/4 of the way up and it cuts the wind and air and makes it not as annoying. I do sit way higher on the bike with my seat and am 6'4" so I was never really behind the windscreen ever. I was wondering if anyone has ever tinted theirs as I only use it as a defector and never look actually through it to see anything.

THREE BIRDS!?!?!?!?! WTF I have seen them get close but never hit one. I did hit a bat with my shoulder a few weeks ago and it was like a hackysack getting launched out of a cannon. Such an odd sensation.
I'll bet! I had a bat bounce off of my windjammer when it was still on the old Suzuki.

Yeah, one clanced the top of my helmet and two hit the windshield. The grass grew right up to the edge of the road and birds were waiting to ambush us.

My wife snapped this pic on that road....before I raised the windshield. HWY 55 South of Mountainaire almost to Glaunch (so small it's not on the map) North of Carrizozo.

Sorry to hijack this thread, Reserector.

·
Registered
2005 Gen 1
48 Posts
I ride for hours... like 16 hours at a go with the windshield down. I really only put it up when the wind gusts are ridiculous or in the rain but I would love to know what other people use it for and how they make it better.

I still don't fully understand what "buffeting" is or how to fight it.
This is explained quite well on another thread in the forum: 2014, Touring screen, Laminar l

Not wishing to hijack this thread, I'll try to keep this brief but basically, the air flow breaks up (and even reverses) as it leaves the top edge of your screen. Instead of getting a nice, smooth 'laminar' flow, you get this turbulent chaos going on which at the very least increases your perception of noise and at the worst, actually knocks you around on the bike.

You will have seen the effects of this on cars and vans; if you have a very square back end on a vehicle, as it leaves the back edge of the roof, the air breaks up in the same way as it does as it comes over your bike screen - and that's why some cars and most vans get really dirty rear ends in wet weather.

On the bike, you have two broad options; you either have a screen of such a height that your head is below the turbulence 'pocket' or you're lucky and you find a screen so well designed that the aerodynamics actually tip the laminar flow path high enough that it goes over your head without you having to hide behind (and look through) the screen.

Toy Automotive design Flash photography Cartoon Thigh

The top image is the nirvana we all seek, The bottom (I think) is pretty typical FJR (with the screen raised)!!

Just for clarity, I would also mention that there’s no way the air flow coming off the FJR screen is anywhere near as nicely laminar as these images show - it’ll be a real, tumbling mess as it leaves the screen edge!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I had a universal windshield on my '81 Yamaha XS650. After some adjustments I reached nirvana... as long as there were no vehicles ahead of me. I could see over the shield with no noise.
My FJR is close...

Here's my best bird story; I was on a back road riding an XT200 with a off-road helmet and goggles. (50 mph) A small bird darted across the road and wedged between my helmet and my face. It's feet were sticking out and one wing was fluttering alongside the helmet from what i could see.
I rode another couple blocks to my friends shop where we all had a good laugh before extracting the remains.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I had a universal windshield on my '81 Yamaha XS650. After some adjustments I reached nirvana... as long as there were no vehicles ahead of me. I could see over the shield with no noise.
My FJR is close...

Here's my best bird story; I was on a back road riding an XT200 with a off-road helmet and goggles. (50 mph) A small bird darted across the road and wedged between my helmet and my face. It's feet were sticking out and one wing was fluttering alongside the helmet from what i could see.
I rode another couple blocks to my friends shop where we all had a good laugh before extracting the remains.

I love the fact you make YT videos and those grips look like they might be way more comfy then the grip puppies I tried and gave away. Watching you bend that bike back into shape was awesome!
A: Make a Tik Tok account and you will be way happier with the outcome.
B Monetize your YT if you haven't already and link the two.
C: The roller skating alone is mucho dinero on a TT account, people would pay to watch that.
D: Is it okay if I have just gotten used to the whole "tuck to go fast, deal with the wind when you are only going 85." thing? Maybe there is a world out there of wind screen "nirvana" as you call it that I have just never experienced and I am missing out because my neck muscles are already accustomed to holding my head against the wind. Teach me the ways.

·
Registered
2007 FJR Black Cherry (as if there are any other colors)
60 Posts
I'll bet! I had a bat bounce off of my windjammer when it was still on the old Suzuki.

Yeah, one clanced the top of my helmet and two hit the windshield. The grass grew right up to the edge of the road and birds were waiting to ambush us.

My wife snapped this pic on that road....before I raised the windshield. HWY 55 South of Mountainaire almost to Glaunch (so small it's not on the map) North of Carrizozo.

Sorry to hijack this thread, Reserector.
Hey! That's my old neck of the woods. Spent quite a bit of time around there (Ancho). I sure miss that place.

·
Premium Member
2003 FJR1300
87 Posts
Hey! That's my old neck of the woods. Spent quite a bit of time around there (Ancho). I sure miss that place.
What a coincidence. Talk about a small world!

I mentioned your post to my wife and asked if she remembered seeing Ancho. She did! I must've blinked, lol. We passed by there heading to Corona, then through Estancia, Moriarty to I-40 and back to Albuquerque, aka Burque.

·
Registered
2007 FJR Black Cherry (as if there are any other colors)
60 Posts
It's only a ghost town now. I used to deer hunt there as well as Corona. Cibola national forest is beautiful. I was born and raised in Albuquerque.

·
Registered
2005 Gen 1
48 Posts
Soooo….. fitted the MRA Vario Screen today and just got back from the first test ride.

STRANGE!!

SO quiet - it’s really weird - and I’m listening to all kinds of sounds I never knew the bike made. It’s quite a result and I’m very pleased - but it’s not perfect.

I‘ve built and adjusted the screen for maximum height and of course there’s a trade-off. With the electric adjustment at its lowest, I now get the sort of noise the stock screen gave me at its highest.

As it comes up to max. height, it all goes eerily quiet (as much as a big, fast bike can) and there’s another thing…. I found I was riding WAY faster than I normally would - so I’m supposing that what I’ve been doing is kind of speed-sensing by ear and wind pressure. 100mph now equals the previous 70 levels!!

There is no chest pressure - and that’s going to take some getting used to - but what there IS is lateral turbulence. I’d call it ‘wind wrap’ because it’s very clearly coming round the vertical edges and slapping me round the head to the extent that at 70mph, my vision is slightly blurred!

Not good!

I think the next stop is to copy the spacer mod at the top of this thread and see if that helps.

Pleased so far though - just need to ‘unlearn’ how it used to feel and see if we can build on what we’ve got now.

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire

1 - 19 of 19 Posts