FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm dropping my bike to Geelong Carbon Craft tomorrow to get new tank protectors made. They will be using my new 2006 FJR to make a pattern for mass production.....so stay tuned for Ozi-made real Carbon fibre trick bits for your feejar

I noticed that David1300 did the same thing a few years ago....is that your bike in the pictures?
http://www.geelongcarboncraft.com.au/store/cart.php?target=category&category_id=13

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
While you're at it, how about dropping your saddles off at "Sheepyhollow" so that he can make some sheepskin covers for me. I've already contacted him to make the covers, and he is looking for saddles to use as a pattern.

The address is
Unit 3
14 Johnstone road
Brendale
Queensland

(this request is just tongue in cheek, don't stress about it unless it's convenient for you. He may have already found saddles anyway. :D )

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
moose said:
I'm dropping my bike to Geelong Carbon Craft tomorrow to get new tank protectors made. They will be using my new 2006 FJR to make a pattern for mass production.....so stay tuned for Ozi-made real Carbon fibre trick bits for your feejar

I noticed that David1300 did the same thing a few years ago....is that your bike in the pictures?
http://www.geelongcarboncraft.com.au/store/cart.php?target=category&category_id=13
Moose - yes, that is my bike, just modelling the silver version. I have the black fitted - you may have seen it over the weekend. Really excellent stuff, and looks as good as new after almost 4 years. Those, the front fender extender and the rear hugger were all modelled in my bike. Say hi to Phil for me - maybe I'll even call in and say hi myself, as my office is walking distance to his factory. And then tell me what there is about Phil that is noteworthy :shock:

And Bernie, Peter (the 'Head Sheep' as he styles himself) is a really nice guy (who can be a bit short with timewasters). Last time I saw him (2 to 3 years ago) he had a project bike that he was 'working on restoring', but work seemed to have stalled. (That's also a Sheepy Hollow sheepskin on my seat).

Both these guys do right by us riders, and deserve our support.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@ Bernie,

Been busy mate....but I'll try and get the saddles there as soon as I can. Sheepyhollow is on the north side of Bris-vegas......I live on the West/South side. I'll give the guy a call and see if we can sort something out.
The 2006 GCC tank protector is very different from the older models. it will be made of a few seperate pieces to cover all areas around the front side of the saddle and lower side of tank.
Phil said that the front fender extender will be redone too.
David said...
And then tell me what there is about Phil that is noteworthy
"He's a realy nice guy!!!!" thats what I found noteworthy!!

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
moose said:
David said...
And then tell me what there is about Phil that is noteworthy
"He's a realy nice guy!!!!" thats what I found noteworthy!!
Besides that - he 'invented' a thumb operated rear brake before **** Doohan started using it. Phil lost a leg in a bike crash many years ago, but that did not stop him riding. IIRC he even went to Melbourne for the GP a few times (on a GSX750, I think). I always think of him when guys complain about about the seat being too hard, the handlebar angle being too this or too that, too high, too low, footpegs too? or too*. Ride around with an artificial leg for a few years, and you appreciate every time you can get on a bike, like Phil does.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hey Moose. Ask them while your there if they can color match the cerulean blue in carbon fiber. I might get a complete carbon set for my 2006 FJR-AE when it arrives.

I wonder what a complete carbon fiber set would cost in US currency shipped to the USA? Can I get mine without the GCC logo on it? I'd be glad to tell folks where I got them.

Mel

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm on it!
I have seen a couple of demo's....but no blue :( From what I've seen in his workshop they only do "Black" and an "Aluminium" colour. I will inquire your request for "Logo-less" stuff.
Stay tuned....picking up the bike on Saturday. :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Moose - a few years ago (when Phil did the original moulds off my bike) he did have samples of blue, but there is always the demand vs minimum purchase requirements equation, and I think that colours other than black (great colour, that) and silver had too small a demand to make it worthwhile. I think the logo is just a sticker that can be removed.

If I get back early enough on Saturday (probably just after lunch) I may see you at the shop.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Looks like the FSD hugger I was considering is made of Fiberglass. I think I'd rather have carbon fiber. See if yall can get me a package deal on a complete set for the 2006 FJR-AE. I need it either color matched or in silver since I'll be placing blue led lights under the fender wells. The set would include the tank protectors, extended front fender and the rear hugger all shipped to the USA. I'm starting to feel left out not living in Australia. I did send GCC an email inquiring about their product. If you like inform them that I'm Melvin whom they should have gotten email from a couple days ago.

Mel

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Moose, I got a call from Sheepyhollow today, they have aquired a set of 06 saddles, and my new covers are being made as we speak, I should get them in about a weak.

So you are off the hook, but thanks anyway.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hey Moose,

Let them have the bike long enough to complete all the moulds. They have only completed the tank moulds and say you crying to get the bike back already... :p . I know it's hard to be without the FJR. It's for a good cause though. I'm going to need a full set.

Mel

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mel,

Are you sure your name is spelled correct? :?

it should read.."ME....ME..... ME"(I think you should drop the "L") :crylarf:
The bike is there till Monday night now!!!!
I didn't cry......"I wept like a child!!!" get it right please :mrgreen:

All good! he said he was nearly all done. and you will be able to buy your carbon fibre protection thanks to my dedication to the FJR world!!! So Mel...Play nice mate!! : :crylarf:

·
Registered
110 Posts
:D LOL :D

I can't even say that if I lived in Australia he'd have my bike cause they haven't released it yet :( . I do appreciate your dedication though.
We can have a drink on it :ale:

I kinda like the FSD hugger cause of it's styling. I think the carbon fiber would be more durable in the long run. Nice to have things matching too. I hope I don't have to sell the front wheel to be able to afford it.

:D Thanks Simon :D

Mel

·
Registered
110 Posts
Bernie said:
I got a call from Sheepyhollow today, they have aquired a set of 06 saddles, and my new covers are being made as we speak, I should get them in about a weak.

So you are off the hook, but thanks anyway.
Hey Bernie, is Sheepyhollow making covers for your bags or for the seat?

Mel

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hey Moose,

You get your new tank protectors yet? I'd like to see them installed. I'm waiting to get me a set. They still need a bike to mold the rear hugger and fender extender. :ale:

Is that your Cerulean Blue FJR they have the silver carbon fiber on the tank? I was thinking of getting the silver carbon fiber but wonder if the Black carbon fiber might show more contrast and actually look better.

Me Me Me......... I meant Mel

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well....she's done!! Today I went to see Lucky Phil and had him fit the much anticipated "Bling" as he called it to my new bike.
This might sound a little one sided coming from me...but....If you don't mind?...They are the best looking "Geelong Carbon Craft tank protectors" I have ever seen on a 2006 FJR (and the only ones too). :D

Pictures are on here...

http://www.geelongcarboncraft.com.au/store/cart.php?target=product&product_id=431&category_id=13

Ohhh...."Did I mention How good they look"

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Here's what it looks like without having to click and go elsewhere:

But here is real good looking:

Mine were the originals (my bike was used for the first moulds) and 4 years later they still look as good as new. Top product.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hmmmmm?? Looks like they made it in 3 pieces stuck togehter. I like the one piece look like the 2000 - 2001 Large R-1 tank protector they made. The curves edges with the peaks on them have more styling. Maybe I have to get use to seeing the straight edges. I know it looks much better in person. If it's going to have a seem in it I'd rather have some spacing to show the tank color in between. Maybe I'm too picky.

http://www.geelongcarboncraft.com.au/store/cart.php?target=product&product_id=372&category_id=13

http://www.geelongcarboncraft.com.au/store/cart.php?target=product&product_id=358&category_id=13

http://www.geelongcarboncraft.com.au/store/cart.php?target=product&product_id=362&category_id=13

The above styles look better to me. I'd rather not see the seems.

Mel

1 - 20 of 33 Posts