FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have what I think is a gear noise. It appears between 55 and 60 mph. I'm thinking that all the cuts and harmonics come together and I end up with aloud whirring that is most bothersome . If I down shift it does go away .If I run above 60 it fades away . Any body else having this? I guess I'm looking not to be the Maytag repairman.Thanks Dave

·
Registered
25 Posts
Dave..I have much more gear noise on my 06 FJR than I did on 05 FJR

Ed.... :x

·
Registered
293 Posts
Sorry to grag out this old thread. My '07 has 11000 miles and I can't help but notice the gear whine at light trottle. High gear at cruising speed doesn't seem too bad. It also sounds like it has a little gear lash. Maybe it's because of the fairing sending the noise up to my helmet or maybe the bike is new to me. It sounds like a wornout differential in a car but seems to be coming up from the engine part of the drivetrain. I had a '77 Yam with a driveshaft and the right ange at the engine had its own gearbox that took 90wt. Could this noise be from the gears and bearings running in engine oil? I checked the rear diff and the oil was just changed and up to the top. It's pretty quiet when cold so I don't think anything is broken. Maybe I need to start wearing earplugs with this bike bike like I have to on my naked SV.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts