FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a problem with my left knee, (old age) and find that having to turn my foot inwards to change gear is causing further pain and suffering.
Does anybody know of or have any ideas for an extension piece that will replace or extend the lever outwards, by about 2 cm or so.
Otherwise I may have to put my order in for the auto version, whenever that is available.

I await the suggestions.
Brian :(

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Hi Fb4,
A easy way to lengthen the gear change pedal lever is to fit a old BSA/Triumph rubber as these stick out further than the jap one's by about 5/10mm.

·
Registered
113 Posts
@FB4 - Have you considered a heel/toe shift lever as a replacement?

Years ago I had a cast on my shift leg and needed to ride, so fabricated a heel/toe shift lever for the bike I was riding at the time. (was broke, so had to make do with what I could do myself) It allowed me to use my heel to upshift and my toes to downshift, always pressing down, rather than getting under the shift lever to lift up.

There might be some direct fitment pieces if you search about with the Police bike parts.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@james1300 Its not the getting the foot under the lever thats the problem, its turning the foot to get to the lever, as the turn comes from the knee joint where the pain and suffering occurs. I've asked the supplier on eBay about the extra sideways length that their part gives, but so far no reply. Also a friend of mine who owns an engineering company has measured the lever and hopefully has a solution for me.

Brian

·
Registered
234 Posts
Shifter Mod. Suggestion

@ FB4Short, Remove shifter from bike, remove shifter rubber.
Using a band saw, or (Ugh) hack saw, cut the old toe tab off, flush.
(The part that the shifter rubber fit on).
Drill and tap (8mm), the shifter. Now you can decide how long a shouldered 8mm bolt you need to make your shifting more comfortable.
Try various lengths.(When you find the right one use Stainless steel)
After deciding, Grind the head of the chosen bolt down, until thers a nub (like the end of the origional toe tab).
Now thread a 8mm thin nut onto the new toe tab (the bolt you modified), leaving enough room to thread the bolt into the threaded shifter and out the 'back side' of the shifter.
You will need enough thread showing, to thread a (thin nut) on the backside of the shifter. Blue loc-tite this one.
Finally using contact cement, apply enough on the end of the new toe
tab and ease the toe tab rubber onto, and in place on the new toe tab.
Reinstall the shifter onto the bike.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't know if this will help, but I replaced the shift arm (the one on the tranny shift shaft) with one from a 01 R-1. It's about a half inch shorter, and makes the shifting ALOT nicer. M.B.D.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.