FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 lets see after less then 20 miles thew ft bar disappears .. three bars gone today ..107 miles Put in 1.4 gallons!!!
then rode another 205 miles , was down to 1 bar and was flashing , filled up with ........4.7 gallons! Leaving 1.9 gallons in the tank! Assuming the 6.6 claim s correct.
Havent had a vehicle this inaccurate since my 1978 Toyota Celica.... I fixed it by taking off the face plate and bending the needle a 1/4 up :surprise:

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 06 was like that and I adjusted the fuel sender in the tank and now the guage indicates correctly and drops in a linear way. When the reserve starts indicating fuel needed I put in 5 gallons. Just about right because the manual says there is a 1.6 gal reserve.

There is a great post that shows you how to do it. I found it on fjr13.org listed under "adjusted fuel sender" Or you can Google
"adjusted fuel sender fjr13.org" I did exactly the procedure laid out and the results were great.
I used a new seal/o-ring on the fuel sender when I did it. Also covered the painted surface with blue painters masking tape as you have to work from the bottom and you have to massage the sender/fuel pump assy. out and then back in.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
2010 lets see after less then 20 miles thew ft bar disappears .. three bars gone today ..107 miles Put in 1.4 gallons!!!
then rode another 205 miles , was down to 1 bar and was flashing , filled up with ........4.7 gallons! Leaving 1.9 gallons in the tank! Assuming the 6.6 claim s correct.
Havent had a vehicle this inaccurate since my 1978 Toyota Celica.... I fixed it by taking off the face plate and bending the needle a 1/4 up /forums/images/FJROwners_2015/smilies/tango_face_surprise.png
Way, I suggest you reset the trip counter every time you fill up, over time you will learn what kind of mileage to expect on one tank.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've got a spreadsheet... Doesn't really matter where it starts the flashing last bar as long as you know where it is. Mine has about 2.0 gal left when the last bar starts flashing and the F tripmeter starts, so 80 miles. What's the problem with that? I wouldn't tear into all that hardware to change that number to 60 miles.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I just feel that when it starts flashing maybe a gallon left would be a better metric .. my Band 1200 ..when I hit reserve meant I h think .8 of a gallon..about 30 miles
BTW yes I have been resetting the trip meter every tank as I have only put about 1000 miles on it ..and thus the discovery of the lying gauge .
As does the speedometer ..off by 4 MPH at 40 ..my Bandit was the same until I added a tooth to the front and 2 off in the rear ..again cant do that here :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yeah. Guess I just got back from a trip through some of the desert SW and 30 miles isn't enough warning. And I'm old school enough to have developed the dependence only on "reserve" and my tripmeter. Know I can easily get 240 miles from a tank and almost always 260.

And yeah, the 5 mph speedo error is more bothersome to me but now just ride 15 over which is really 10 over.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,431 Posts
Way8lilfter, what you're describing is inconsistency... all over the map, you could adjust the sender unit arm, but to what?? Maybe start by gathering some better numbers based on how it's supposed to work.

What slowdave says, you should per Yamaha have 5 litres or 1.3 gallons left when the F-count starts, and that should take you about 60 miles until you run out. It may vary somewhat from FJR to FJR, but yours should be consistent. You could fill the tank immediately and not get the full specified 25 litres/6.6 US gallons in total, seems we never can, no worries.

What I do over time is see how many miles I get per bar, starting with a full tank... on my FJR (the far superior and fastest 2014 Root Beer and faster than those red ones), that would be approx. 40 kms. per bar. So when the last bar starts flashing, I have roughly 40 km before the F-count starts, or 140 kms. before she's bone dry. If you want to test that, take a litre or two of spare fuel with you.
I heard the silver ones are pretty quick too.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah I wanted red but the deal was too good to pass up ( 3800 dollars ) .. but silver is fast too :) or at least the guy riding the silver one .......

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
After 2 years and 31,000 miles I'm not sure exactly how far I can go on a tank but I know I can go 275 miles. By calculator (miles driven by gals used) I know I average 51 mpg, so in theory with a 6.6 gal tank I should be able to go 336.6 miles. I usually fill up around the 220 mark though, but like I said have gone 275 before. I reset Trip-2 every time I get gas, and Trip-1 every morning before I take off because I also log daily mileage. Easy to tell where I'm at with a tank by glancing down at Trip-2.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Just FYI, over my 3 FJRs, they were all consistent on total tank capacity at 6.5 gal (several fill ups after bike is stumbling--queue the "you're gonna burn up your fuel pump" thread). But they varied a LOT on how much fuel is left when the last bar starts flashing: 1.0, 1.6, and 2.0 gal. Each bike was consistent with itself but that value is not consistent bike to bike.

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300
186 Posts
I get right out 40 miles per bar and when I get down to the blinking bar I fill up right at 5ish gallons, depending on the mileage between blinking and fill up. This does vary if my gal is riding with me or not. As well as if I'm loaded down for a long trip with the trunk attached. Gen 1, silver of course, so it does vary depending on how frisky im feeling on any given day...

Most of the road construction here in Illinois will have those speed indicators as you enter the construction zone, I check my speedometer verses what it says each time and its been dead on. I did this last week as I thought my speedo was off because my buddy that just picked up an FJR wasn't keeping up in the corners. Figured out the his tire pressure was WAY off, he's doing better now that we got that lined out..

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After 2 years and 31,000 miles I'm not sure exactly how far I can go on a tank but I know I can go 275 miles. By calculator (miles driven by gals used) I know I average 51 mpg, so in theory with a 6.6 gal tank I should be able to go 336.6 miles. I usually fill up around the 220 mark though, but like I said have gone 275 before. I reset Trip-2 every time I get gas, and Trip-1 every morning before I take off because I also log daily mileage. Easy to tell where I'm at with a tank by glancing down at Trip-2.
how on earth do you get 1 mpg .. my best yet is 42 ..worst is 41 .. previous owner averaged 35 ..on the instant calculation mode I have
only seen 50 + when off throttle going down hill...... with a tail wind :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I get right out 40 miles per bar and when I get down to the blinking bar I fill up right at 5ish gallons, depending on the mileage between blinking and fill up. This does vary if my gal is riding with me or not. As well as if I'm loaded down for a long trip with the trunk attached. Gen 1, silver of course, so it does vary depending on how frisky im feeling on any given day...

Most of the road construction here in Illinois will have those speed indicators as you enter the construction zone, I check my speedometer verses what it says each time and its been dead on. I did this last week as I thought my speedo was off because my buddy that just picked up an FJR wasn't keeping up in the corners. Figured out the his tire pressure was WAY off, he's doing better now that we got that lined out..
yours sounds more like I had hoped for ( my Bandit was e like that )
as for the speedo .. mine is off both via GPs and road signs

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
how on earth do you get 51 mpg .. my best yet is 42 ..worst is 41 .. previous owner averaged 35 ..on the instant calculation mode I have
Product of where I live, how I ride and surface of our roads. I live out in the country with sweeper type curvy roads 45-55 mph speed limits with a smooth surface, very few stop signs, even fewer stop lights and very little traffic. It's easy to ride 60 miles with very little gear changing, very little throttle modulation, just back and forth rhythm curves, no stops and only see a couple of cars (one of them usually a Sheriff hiding on the side of the road or coming at you from around a bend). Deer ( turkeys, raccoons, possums, vultures on a dead carcass, coyotes, farm dogs etc can be an issue, as can a piece of farm equipment, pick up truck or old couple in a Buick so you don't want to bust around a curve too fast because there are no escape outlets unless you want to hit a tree or end up in a cornfield. Also at 70 years old I've pretty much put my wild streak behind me, so I just ride at a comfortable pace. The result is good gas, tires and brake pad mileage.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just did a ride yesterday and it was my first time I pushed the bike to the flashing fuel indicator. It worked out perfectly -- as I pulled into get gas the fuel started to flash right at that moment.

I put in 5.2 US gallons --- but it was on the side stand. That aside - spec is 6.6 US gallons full minus 5.2 makes my reserve amount at 1.4 US gallons. Manual says spec is 1.45 so I am right on the money.

I second the 60 mile reserve range as I tend to get an average of 40 mpg. But reality is I will work with 40 miles to be safe.

As far as the Full tank indication leaving very quickly to 7/8th tank -- yes I do find that happens but I think its because on the side stand you can fill it to the max -- I did it once on the center stand to compare and it stayed on the full marker longer -- I didnt pay attention to the exact mileage but it was longer. But agree as well with someone above its the end of the tank that matters so do the test yourself in an area where gas stations are a plenty -- ride till it flashes and then pull over and see how much you put in.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Product of where I live, how I ride and surface of our roads. I live out in the country with sweeper type curvy roads 45-55 mph speed limits with a smooth surface, very few stop signs, even fewer stop lights and very little traffic. It's easy to ride 60 miles with very little gear changing, very little throttle modulation, just back and forth rhythm curves, no stops and only see a couple of cars (one of them usually a Sheriff hiding on the side of the road or coming at you from around a bend). Deer ( turkeys, raccoons, possums, vultures on a dead carcass, coyotes, farm dogs etc can be an issue, as can a piece of farm equipment, pick up truck or old couple in a Buick so you don't want to bust around a curve too fast because there are no escape outlets unless you want to hit a tree or end up in a cornfield. Also at 70 years old I've pretty much put my wild streak behind me, so I just ride at a comfortable pace. The result is good gas, tires and brake pad mileage.
My situation is also just like that. The FJR hasn't been on a freeway in 5 years. I'm reliably at 48-50 MPG as a result - higher end in the summer months. My Prius is spectacularly affected by this and the somewhat high altitude, running 60 - 64 MPG in summer.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Today's fill up..213 miles took 4.2 gals... not quite 51 but close lol 50.7 mpg

and some pics from today's ride. This is a nice decreasing radius turn. A couple weeks ago two 600 sport bikes couldn't make it and ended up under the guard rail on the opposite side of the road.

this guy was running 34 in a 55

Nice S curve... 34 in a 55 and he still couldn't (or wouldn't) keep it on his/our side of the road. Imagine if you were busting it, taking that S curve coming from the opposite direction.

·
Registered
290 Posts
My 2015 is 40 to 45 depending on how I ride. I have never seen the low lite on mine because at 200 miles I start looking for gas.

Mr Ferret those roads look like the ones BTL68 and I ride so when on them kind of roads I make sure I find fuel. I will take them kind of roads over hiway any day.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
how on earth do you get 51 mpg .. my best yet is 42 ..worst is 41 .. previous owner averaged 35 ..on the instant calculation mode I have
My oldest riding buddy is a very conservative Goldwing rider, and when following him I've seen over 50 tank after tank many times. The most I've ever gotten when riding with him is 59.4. I suspect that 59.4 was a short fill, though, because I only got 48.8 on the next tank. :) But that same trip I got mid-50s several times.

The worst I've ever gotten was 33.9. 33.9 was more fun. >:)

I just set the trip meter as well. I do it in my truck, both bikes, and even the RV. I started doing it in the mid-60s before bikes had fuel gauges and just never quit.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts