FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend the best place to hard wire the Garmin cradle? I have it on a Migsel mount fitted to tank retaining bolts.

I know some people connect directly onto the battery terminals but that would mean a permanent live feed to the cradle.

Any advice out there?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
FJR1300 A, TMax 530 DX, Tracer GT900, XS850
282 Posts
I took a tap off the existing power socket feed in the lockable compartment. Switches on and off with the bike and the GPS takes minimal current.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took a tap off the existing power socket feed in the lockable compartment. Switches on and off with the bike and the GPS takes minimal current.
How did you make the connection?

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
From underneath the compartment, pull the harness connector plug off the back of the power socket. (You may need to remove a black panel to get your hand in there). Carefully scrape/remove some of the side insulation anywhere along the feed using an xacto knife/stanley knife/blade and wrap the ends of the Garmin power supply around the bared wire. Soldering the tapped in connection is the most reliable and then wrap with self amalgamating tape or ordinary insulating tape. Push the plug back onto the power socket.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,324 Posts
If you want switched power, use a fuse tap to the Hazard fuse (on a Gen3) as it is separate and you can keep your other fuse boxes closed.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,261 Posts
That is where mine is attached as well.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
The Fuzeblock is a great option (see nippynormans.com in UK) especially if you expect to install other electrical stuff later. I ran a lead from the battery to a fuzebox under the seat on one of my other FJRs.

·
Registered
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300
49 Posts
Straight to battery. Hasn't been an issue if that's of any assistance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, thanks for all the advice.

I noticed in the manual that there is a spare fuse located behind panel A

That seems to be the perfect source for connecting the positive feed and the negative back to the battery.

I will just have to tape up and hide all the other junk Garmin attach to the loom.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
That may be just a spare fuse in a plastic holder, rather than a spare active circuit.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have a PDM60 that everything runs off, a little pricey but I would recommend it and I have been very happy with it. My Garmin runs off that and I have everything running off a 5-second delay to allow full power during start up.

Vehicle Car Hood Steering part Motor vehicle

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a PDM60 that everything runs off, a little pricey but I would recommend it and I have been very happy with it. My Garmin runs off that and I have everything running off a 5-second delay to allow full power during start up.

View attachment 81293
I think I read, somewhere, that it doesn’t have an unswitched circuit. Is that accurate? Or am I wrong?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts