FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anybody out there was using the garmin 60cs and if so is it worth using on the bike?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Any GPS is much better than none...

I use a combination of printed maps and GPS. A printed map is not worth much if you don't know where you are on the map. Any moving map type of GPS with detailed street data will allow you to pinpoint yourself on a printed map. I have GPS moving maps in my plane, on the Tablet PC semipermanently mounted in my pickup, and have a Garmin 2730 ordered for the FJR. None of these has a big enough screen to make me want to give up printed maps. Even on my laptop with a 15.4" widescreen, when I zoom in enough for the street names to display, I can't see enough ahead to satisfy myself. When I zoom out I loose necessary detail.

Having said all that, I ran my son's Etrex Vista with only the base map one year on my GL1800 during a trip over in Western North Carolina and was very proud to have it along. An Etrex has an even smaller screen than the GPS60 and I did not have the detailed street data loaded. But, it allowed me to feel comfortable when exploring unknown territory that I could easily get back to the hotel.

Buy the best for the amount of money you want to spend and if that amount is only $300 it will serve it's purpose. GPS is like everything else, you can spend about as much as you want. I have a $36,000 RTK system that is accurate to one centimeter in the horizontal (2 centimeters in the vertical) that I use for agricultural survey applications, but I am very proud to have a $300 moving map GPS on a bike.

too_many_hobbies

1 - 2 of 2 Posts