FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to remember just after I bought my last Garmin for UK prices some smart ass finding a non UK dealer who would send them to the UK far cheaper than we were able to buy locally, cant remember who or where though; any ideas?
If you have bought from overseas was the unit the same spec with a UK useable warranty, anything to be carefull of (import taxes etc..)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Autonav2000.com Make sure you indicate that you are a FJR forum member for the really big discount. :wink:

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
I have had a small problem with the touch screen on my 2610 delaminating ,

I phoned Garmin this morning and they said to just send it to them and it would be turned around in about 5 working days.

Stu.. the bagman..

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just ordered a Garmin 2720 from aspidshop.com at the unbeleivable price of £568.14; used my VAT number & didnt pay the VAT, not sure how that works & wont be suprised if the courier tries to collect it on delivery but right now I'm chuffed to bits!! Of course it still has to turn up :?
My current Garmin is the 2610 & as these (UK models) appear to be going on ebay for around £400, looks like I should be doing ok on the deal.
Will report back on how I get on with aspidshop.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Back in march my 2610 only took 2 days by DHL from aspid.

I have had no comeback from the VAT man as I did use my own VAT #
and the courier only wanted a signature.

Stu.. the bagman..

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Bagman: I suppose it makes sense, if we were paying for it in the UK we would be claiming the VAT back on our VAT return anyway, guess as it is another EU country we must have some sort of arrangement where the VAT can be deducted at source.
I'm very familiar with the running of the VAT free export schemes for outside the EU either with the VAT407 over the counter form or being able to ship goods outside the EU VAT free but never come accross being able to export in the EU VAT free. Going to look in to it though, would be a selling point for our business if we could offer VAT free to EU "business" customers.
Anyone on here know how it works?
To get back on topic, aspidshop expect to ship my 2720 today :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
You can export to any EU customer VAT free as long as they supply a valid VAT No for the country your exporting to, but it must be exported ,not for the country that you are in. Thats it simplisticy(that word doesnt look right) there is a bit more to make sure you do but thats it

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got my 2720 with no problem, including City Navigator NT V8 Disk, not had much time to play yet, but one of the first new features I noticed was the ability to insert a full UK post code when searching an address.
Total cost from aspidshop was £568.14 including delivery, not only was the price great but delivery was very fast too, I've waited longer for delivery from UK companies, let alone one in Portugal!! Their prices seem to vary a bit from day to day & of course exchange rates make a difference but I doubt you could buy cheaper.
As for the VAT, I have no idea if any further checking is done other than the VAT checker available from their web site, all that does is confirm that the number you enter is a valid number, doesnt name a company as such. I did use my real number but I would guess any valid number will do; would be interested to hear if anyone trys it??
Right I'm off to load some speed cameras & burger bars into my GPS :D

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I was in International Shipping but I can't remember exactly how it all works.

If you buy something in the UK with VAT, you claim the VAT back don't you?, then apply VAT when you sell in the UK.

If you buy within the EU, it would get messy - so by providing your VAT number to the seller, the seller can then export without accounting for VAT.

The "importer" - you - uses this method for deferred VAT payment.

i.e. you should declare your purchase within your VAT returns and pay the outstanding monies.

I think......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts