FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in another fjr website but this one seems to be more active and will probably get more comments here.

I currently run radar,a kenwood radio,xm and gps through an autocom unit hardwired to my helmet speakers and microphone. I just sold my 2610 and looking to replace it with one of the above mentioned Garmin units.
I'm having a hard time seeing the benefit of the bluetooth setup for a motorcycle. Presently, I could run my phone through the autocom (if I wanted to).
Does anyone envision the bluetooth technology expanding to include broadcasting xm from the gps and stereo?
Is the 2820 such a significant improvement over the 2730 in any way other than Bluetooth? Specs look the same.

Otherwise, I suspect the 2730 makes more sense for me. I'd appreciate any thoughts or comments.
Tom Hanaway
Boynton Beach, FL

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you still have the XM radio you listed in your current setup you might want to go with the Garmin 2720. Both the 2730 and the 2820 are controllers for the GXM-30 XM radio reciever/antennae. I had the Garmin 2610 also on my 2005 FJR with a roady2. I was using a J&M 40 channel CB/intercom/audio controller with aux harness to intergrate the radar detector, XM radio, cell phone and navigation. I just purchased the Garmin 2820 myself. J&M is still doing the R&D on the bluetooth adapter for use with the Garmin 2820. J&M says it should be ready in another month or so. I have a bluetooth phone that is also a MP3 player so that will give me an additional 4GB of music over the 750MB of space that's available on the Garmin 2820. The Garmin 2820 also has an interface that allows you to answer phone calls and make them from the navigation unit's touch screen. I think that adds a nice touch to the setup. It all depends on what your needs are and how much money your willing to spend. The Garmin 2730 includes the GXM-30 reviever/antennae. The Garmin 2820 does not because it's also capable of recieving the Clear Channel network Nav-Traffic and weather as well as the XM Nav-Traffic. Street price on the 2730 with the GXM-reciever is about $900. The street price on the 2820 is about $830 but you have to buy the GXM-30 for about $200 totalling $1030.

I hope this helps you and gives you the insight you need.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Devin said:
Anyone have any idea exactly when we will be able to purchase the Zumo????
If you believe the site, end of August. Realistically, this winter, which is not a bad idea...

"Honey, all I want for Xmas (besides you naked) is a Zumo..."

Gives them plenty of lead-up time to next spring. I get the impression that accessories sell a lot better during off season than they do once rubber-to-pavement season begins...everyone who can't ride but has the itch seems to satisfy it by decking out their steed in preparation for the next season's battles...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Guess my computer is too old to see the Zumo web site. What's all the excitement? I haven't been keeping up, and thought I was all hot snot when I installed the Autocom. A GPS/Satellite/Phone all in one. Wow!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
The Zumo is just another GPS unit. 8)

With a SIRF III chip so in good conditions it will be able to get a satellite lock even indoors, and bluetooth so it can interface with everything including your fridge, and a doodad for interpreting radio traffic reports to route you around holdups, and its waterproof, with a big touchscreen (although still samller than the iQue :wink: ), and all the controls are on the lefthand side so you can crash while fiddling with it without taking your hand off the throttle, and a removable rechargeable battery so you can use it either bike powered or as a stand alone unit, and comes with car and motorcycle mounts so you can put it in the cage and then sit there in a jam thinking "Why didn't I use the bike?", and a built in MP3 player, and maps of all the US or Europe preinstalled, but has mapping on DVD so you can play around with it on a PC, and an SD slot so you can use cheap memory cards for expansion, and.....etc etc etc.

Looks interesting, although if you're like me then by the time you've learnt to use all its functions it's so far out of date that you have to buy something else and start all over again :lol:

If you've got problems with the dedicated Zumo site then try the link to the Garmin products page in the first post in this thread : http://www.fjrowners.ws/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2091

·
Registered
280 Posts
or, simpler...

http://www.garmin.com/products/zumo/\

I still fail to understand why it's so hard to add some more memory to these things and store enough data on them that you can create POI's on the fly while on/in the vehicle as opposed to the current mode where they force you to do your trip planning on the PC, copy/download it to the gps and then head out. Guess it must require more resources than they can comfortably pack into a similar-sized unit? I know personally, I'd drop an extra 200 or so for that ability...

·
Registered
280 Posts
zane_in_nc said:
A GPS/Satellite/Phone all in one. Wow!
GPS? yes
XM Satellite? yes
MP3 player? yes
Bluetooth linking to bike/headset and/or phone? yes
Interrupting and announcing incoming calls if your BT phone is linked? yes

Act as a phone on it's own? nope

Just a linked member in the team...with some nice management/coordination features built in.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Update:

Having received and tested the 2820, it gets a big "schwing"

Bluetooth linked up to my phone and my headset at home with minimal effort. Even better, the unit instantly re-negotiates with and links up to my phone automatically upon powerup, meaning I never have to touch anything to make it happen again in the future, unless I desire to manually deactivate said-autolinking.

All the tones, voice commands (for better or for worse) came through the bluetooth unit seemlessly, as did the phone conversation when I did a test call. This would be a wet dream now if someone would come out with bluetooth helmet units that you can actually buy in the states (patience, grasshopper, patience).

I have not added the optional XM unit, but it connects via USB port on the unit, same USB port you connect to you PC with to download MP3's and various nav data you might generate using the supplied software.

So, with the Bluetooth wet dream testing done to satisfaction, I slapped on a helmet with earbuds, plugged in manually and away I went.

Response time (screen animation, rotating the map as I turned, recalculating when I intentionally missed turns) were all pretty good, more than fast enough for practical street navigation situations.

I run mine in WAAS mode wherever possible for additional precision, because the first test run used the (extensive) food/etc library to take me to meet a date last night. I never had to enter the address, found the pub using just the dining submenus and found the place listed. Unfortunately, without the WAAS turned on, it was just far enough off (1/2 block) that I missed it the first time and had to loop back around due to one-way's, costing me an additional 10 minutes and making me fashionably late.

Very happy. If the Zumo is this good or better, all I can say is that the technologies deliver as promised so far.

I may even reconsider trading this in on a Zumo later on. I've become pretty attached. The button squares on the touch screen aren't as small as I'd feared, but I haven't tried them with gloves yet. Likewise, it was useful in the car as well, not sure how useful all the Zumo motorcycle-focused stuff will translate when being used in a cage...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Actually, having seen the Zumo, I've been so grateful I went with the 2820 instead. I use every feature and option (XM music, XM traffic/rerouting, XM weather maps, bluetooth control of my cell phone, plus the extensive database of a world of businesses and locations on board). The ONLY plus I wish the 2820 had that the Zumo has is the SD slot. Considering I remove my GPS all the time anyway and bring it in, it's juts as easy to hook it up to my computer as it is to bring in the SD disc alone, so it's really very small difference functionality-wise to me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts