FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just in case anyone else experiences this problem...

I was responsible for getting a small group to the Honda Hoot this past week. We're in the middle of nowhere, nothing but curves in every direction, and the GPS loses all satellite signals. No routes available now! We used maps and dead reckoning to get to an interstate and made the rest of our way into Knoxville with only rain to worry about.
At the Hoot I found a real, live Garmin factory rep who said "maybe it's the antenna connection???" Nope, solid. A Garmin dealer said to try and send it back to Garmin but otherwise was worthless.
A few hours later, a little more desperate, I asked a different factory rep if he'd trade me for a new 376C if I paid the difference. I had the unit with me at the time, and all he could do was try to tell the unit that it was now in Knoxville. "Take it outside and try it now" he said as he began to pack up his booth. Nice.
Well, it didn't work, so I tried something out of desperation. When the unit said "can't find a satellite" I told it that it had been stored without batteries and to Autolocate itself. Bingo!

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
I'm glad you mentioned this, and I wish Garmin would offer honest answers about it...

I get lots of outages this time of year on all my GPSs... and it's not necessarily the 'stored without batteries' thing, because every year, this time of year, I have units lose reception, even when they have an unobstructed view of the sky.

Mine died twice last Saturday... one moment it had reception, then dead for an hour. Autolocated it and it died again. 3-hours later, no probs. Glad it hasn't happened on an enduro, or I'd be peein' red.

Must be something with the position of the sun, this time of year.

I wasted postage sending a couple in, one year. Nothing wrong with them, but Garmin's only answer was, "send 'em in." They tried the same BS about antenna connection, but logic disproved that.

Sorta like sat TV providers refusing to admit they have outages in T-storms.

Anybody with a solid answer?

:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lost reception

This usually happens this time of the year because of the position of the satelites and the sun. It does thwe same thing with satellite TV reception. Usually it only lasts for a short time.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
I didn't even know it had an autolocate function. How do you invike that? I was just happy mine found the pizza place this last weekend!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I only know about the 276C... When you turn it on it tries to find satellites. If it can't find any (like if you're inside or, like mine, ***ked up) it gives you some options. Continue acquiring, start simulator, one other and "stored without batteries." If you select stored without batteries then it gives up trying to prove where it is and starts over, kinda like a reboot.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Without hijacking this thread (much), can someone remind me how to reverse a route to run it backwards? 20v and I tried to figure it out for an hour once and later I accidently discovered the secret but I didn't write it down and now I don't remember. You won't find it in the cheezy manual either.

Amazing that after all the software revisions they've had, there are still glitches, too. (Forget where it was but the other day I clicked on a menu choice and it took me to the Find menu; not a logical destination for the menu choice.) I'm not complaining too loud though, at least Garmin ofers free revisions; Lowrance never bothered when I was a loyal user of their products. I'm also thinking of upgrading the MapSource version as there are a lot of new 4-lanes that don't show up. Not a big deal, but it does mess you up when trying to figure Fastest Route and have accurate figures for mileage and ETA. (I use my 276C in the car as much as I use it on the bike.)

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I've tried to figure out that reverse route thing myself, and failed.

But another thing that annoys me is that if you let the 276C plot a route itself, it will talk you through that route, telling you when to turn and so on. However, if you plot a route in MapSource and enter it into the GPS, it will navigate the route OK, but wont talk to you, why is that. :?

·
Registered
260 Posts
memory

Just to prove I can hijack just as well as Arlen:
I notice there are two types of memory cards available on pricegrabbers.com for about $50:
Garmin Card 256 MB SD Memory card, Garmin-0101063601
Garmin 256 MB microSD Memory Card, Garmin-0101068302-Flash
Memory
Any idea if one of these fits the 2610, 276C or 376C?
Will one 256MB card hold the entire continental US?
I have the following software:
Metroguide USA
Roads & Recreation-Europe
Roads & Recreation United States
Can they be loaded on any or all of these GPSs?
I thought of buying a 2730 but hate to pay over $400 for Europe software. TIA Ian, Iowa

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Bernie said:
I've tried to figure out that reverse route thing myself, and failed.
I've found the function when routing on the computer but not on the unit itself. You could do it on the computer and name the same name with a "R" for reverse or something but that seems a waste of memory. The more I use it and learn about it, the more I like it. Still can be frustrating sometimes. 276/376 is still a good unit imho.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Ian, the cards for my 276c are:

010-10226-14 256 MB data card, RoHS $139.99
010-10226-21 512 MB data card, RoHS $189.99

They are proprietary for the 276c Garmin and some similar Garmin GPS's. The SD's you saw will not work in a 276c and I believe are just typical SD memory cards like in some cameras. You can check compatibility by going to www.garmin.com and finding the GPS you want, then click on Accessories for it. They list brackets, cables and memory.

The 512mb card above is going on Ebay for about $135-$140 delivered and will hold half of the US, maybe a little more. Should be plenty of map data unless you plan to do all four corners without stopping back home. My 256mb card holds about 11 states or so. If I bought the 512mb, I would definitely be set.

20v, I only found the way to reverse a route once. And when I did, I remember thinking, "That's sure a bass-ackward way to go about it!" Probably why I can't remember how to do it, eh?

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
amain said:
20v, I only found the way to reverse a route once. And when I did, I remember thinking, "That's sure a bass-ackward way to go about it!" Probably why I can't remember how to do it, eh?
I'm sure our memory will improve as we get older too, eh? What were we talking about....

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Ok, I have a 2610 with Mapsource (UK maps)

I called up a route already on my computer

On the left hand pane, with the route shown in it

Right click on it, option comes up to invert route

Left click on invert and hey presto, the route is reversed

Save it to a folder (if you wish), send it to your unit (rename it R as someone suggested)

There you go

·
Registered
426 Posts
What a cheater, using a computer! :wink:
I was talking about doing it right on my 276c. I did it once, but now I've forgotten the magic words. Apparently they have more than four letters in them. :roll:

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
amain said:
I was talking about doing it right on my 276c.
I know, I haven't even accidentally swerved into that menu option on the unit itself. Still need to keep playing with it, seems I learn something new and useful every time I use it.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
20valves said:
amain said:
I was talking about doing it right on my 276c.
I know, I haven't even accidentally swerved into that menu option on the unit itself. Still need to keep playing with it, seems I learn something new and useful every time I use it.
I remember you guys struggling with that. On my antique 176C, there's a menu to activate the route, and one of the choices is, "REVERSE AND ACTIVATE." Too bad the 276C isn't that simple. Could it be that if you start running the route backwards that it would reverse automatically?

:)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I went out and tried for 30 mins or so, but I can't find reverse on the FJR. Did they not come out with that until the '06 model, maybe? :p

·
Registered
426 Posts
OK, kids, I got it figured out for the 276c. There is more than one way to get there but here is one of them:

1) From the Ready To Navigate screen (the page that looks like a roadmap) hit the NAV button.

2) In the pop-up Navigate box, select Navigate Route and hit Enter.

3) In the pop-up Select Route box, pick the route you want to run in reverse and hit Enter.

4) Your route is now displayed on an Active Route page. Your starting point is at the top and your destination is at the bottom. Hit Menu and one of the choices of the pop-up menu is Invert. Select it and hit Enter. Now you will see that your old destination is displayed at the top of the waypoint list to indicate that it is now your starting point. If you hit Menu twice and return to the Route list, you now see a right arrow in front of your inverted route to indicate that it is indeed inverted.

There, see how easy that was? :roll:

Now let's try an easier method, one you might use while actually out on the road:

1) Go to the Route list and highlight a route. If you hit Enter, you will go to a Route page for the selected route.

2) Now hit Menu and you will again see the pop-up menu that has the Invert option on it and you can go from there.

Note that from any page on the GPS you can always hit the NAV button and select Navigate Route. You should know the rest of the way by now.

Please also note that 20v owes me a cool, refreshing beverage. 8)

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
amain said:
Please also note that 20v owes me a cool, refreshing beverage. 8)
That will be my pleasure my friend! Thanks Amain. Yet another FJR forum bit of info that allows me to be a bit lazier.

8)

I'll be using this reverse business later this month, very nice to know how.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts