FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of upgrading to the Garmin 2720 when in is finally released in the UK, none of the dealers seem to have them yet.
Any one actually had chance to have a play with one of these units yet? Particulary interested in its POI import ability, obviously the speed camera database would be my first import!! Anyone know if it has the ability to set the announcements of individual cameras only on the route & at customizeable distances from the camera, like the Tom Tom Rider? Also I assume you can set it to only announce certain POI (speed cameras) rather than every other type of POI you pass? I would expect there to be a list in the menu's somewhere listing different POI databases so that you can only activate the ones you want.
Looked at the Tom Tom Rider at the NEC bike show & while there was lots I did like about it, overall the unit looked far less durable than the Garmins & it couldnt find my house!!
I'm assuming the Garmin cradle & connections are the same as for the 2610 I currently have.
Any feedback from someone who has seen a 2720 would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
158 Posts
A good friend and riding buddy bought one of the first 2720'a here in the states. Gotta' say this thing is the "dog's dangles". Easy to use, great display, maps already loaded, she's a keeper. I'm now tempted to by the new 2730 that adds XM satellite radio and real time weather. Not sure if that's available on your side of the pond, but whichever way you go, Garmin seems to be the most "robust" platform for motorcycle applications. Good luck to ya.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2730 is still a couple of months off here yet, besides looking at the Garmin web site it would appear that you also need to have the "puck sized" GXM 30 XM antenna for the traffic & weather, not sure where you'd want to stick that on the FJR, that it wouldnt get pinched when you left the bike.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Wonder if you couldn't route the cabling to the rear of the bike, and park the "puck" under the plastic tail section? :idea:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Tony said:
I'm thinking of upgrading to the Garmin 2720 when in is finally released in the UK, none of the dealers seem to have them yet.
Any one actually had chance to have a play with one of these units yet? Particulary interested in its POI import ability, obviously the speed camera database would be my first import!! Anyone know if it has the ability to set the announcements of individual cameras only on the route & at customizeable distances from the camera, like the Tom Tom Rider? Also I assume you can set it to only announce certain POI (speed cameras) rather than every other type of POI you pass? I would expect there to be a list in the menu's somewhere listing different POI databases so that you can only activate the ones you want.
Looked at the Tom Tom Rider at the NEC bike show & while there was lots I did like about it, overall the unit looked far less durable than the Garmins & it couldnt find my house!!
I'm assuming the Garmin cradle & connections are the same as for the 2610 I currently have.
Any feedback from someone who has seen a 2720 would be much appreciated.
Keep in mind that the 2720 does not come with the navigator software, so you can't create routes to upload to it. That said, as you have the 2610 that does come with the software, I suggest you sell it without the software and register the 2720 as 2nd device (free), or hang on to it.

If you want to sell it, drop me a line, I am interested in a 2610 and I don't need the software as I have the same software for my SPIII, so I can register it as 2nd device on my SPIII.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Remember the 2720 has a hard drive in it and is subject to vibration. NOT RECOMMENDED FOR MOTORCYCLES acording to the certain dealers!!!!!!!!!! :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Remember the 2720 has a hard drive in it and is subject to vibration.
I think you may be confusing the 2720 with the 2620 which does have a hard drive.

James at autonav2000.com highly recommends the 2720 for motorcycles.

From the garmin site re: 2720

Storage: Internal flash memory comes preloaded with City Navigator™ NT, providing street-level detail and addresses, plus listings of nearby restaurants, hotels, ATMs, etc., throughout the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico

As an added benefit, you can now import customized points of interest with the help of Garmin's free POI Loader software. The possibilities are endless - upload safety cameras or school zones, and you will receive a warning if you are traveling too fast. In addition, an optional proximity-alert feature notifies you of upcoming custom POIs.

·
Registered
107 Posts
afterburn said:
Keep in mind that the 2720 does not come with the navigator software, so you can't create routes to upload to it. That said, as you have the 2610 that does come with the software, I suggest you sell it without the software and register the 2720 as 2nd device (free), or hang on to it.
It's a misunderstanding.
In The Netherlands the navigator software will be delivered together with the 2720.
Look at http://www.gps.nl/body_streetpilot_2720.html

·
Registered
51 Posts
Got the garmin 2720 for Christmas and have only used it in the car so far. I find it great, bright screen, beautiful graphics, data base complete including lots of local stuff like service stations, restaurants etc. Have not explored the CD that came with it. Touch screen, intuitive simple. Not sure how the sound part would be with the bike. Spring will tell.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Had mine fror a few weeks now & really pleased with it!! speed camera POI database works a treat to.
Did have a problem with my original unit but Garmin Europe did me a straight swap on a new one, didnt even have to ship it back to the retailer (who is in a different country) So top unit & top customer service

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have had mine for a couple of weeks as well ad I do like it , I was used to Tomtom having used it for about 3 years . The 2720 has much better verbal directions and the way the speed camera databse works is brilliant, a bing bong to warn you if your at the right speed but if your going too fast it bings continuously until your speed is below the camera speed especially good on a bike as its so easy to go too fast. The spring and summer will tell how good it is but everything Ive tried so far is spot on with the unit.
I bought mine via www.aspidshop.com which is in Portugal and after giving them a valid VAT No I got the unit Vat free at £558.00 which is cheaper than the Rider in this country and unlike the rider it is loaded with the whole of europe .
The mapping GUI is different from Tomtom but am getting used to it now .
So I have very little negative to say about the 2720 and a lot of positive.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Have you seen that little Garmin i3 unit it's only about 60mm wide and 45mm high and it's very good for the money.
It uses the full postcode and is very quick too. :shock:
At a £149.00 it's a bargain, Ok it's not water proof but that not a problem really.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have dealt with Garmin for a long time. Primarily for aircraft handheld gps. Best customer service in the world. Great company, wish I owned it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts