FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I bought one of the 2610's for the bike. How does it hold up in the rain? Has anybody ever exposed their unit to the rain? I see in the specs that it's rugged and fully gasketed, but it doesn't say squat about waterproofness. Am I to assume that I need to keep a plastic baggie handy for the rough weather?

Scott

·
Registered
721 Posts
Don't worry it is waterproof to IPX7 which means it can survive 30 mins at up to 1 metre depth, see page 83 of the handbook.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Haven't got a 2610 but the Quest I have has had some good rain and survived no worries. All garmin GPS claim the same 30 minutes at 1 metre I think.
Either way when it's really p*ssing down I pop in in the top pocket.. just to be sure to be sure!! Not so worried about the unit but maybe a build up of water across the 12v contacts..

·
Registered
41 Posts
rangerray said:
OK, I bought one of the 2610's for the bike. How does it hold up in the rain? Has anybody ever exposed their unit to the rain? I see in the specs that it's rugged and fully gasketed, but it doesn't say squat about waterproofness. Am I to assume that I need to keep a plastic baggie handy for the rough weather?

Scott
Have a look here, you don't need a plastic baggie.

·
Registered
310 Posts
That youtube video proves absolutely nothing.

All of the units that Garmin makes that you would normally consider for your bike are waterproof to IPX7, which gives them resistance to total immersion in up to 1 meter of water for at least 30 minutes. Note that the various connectors have to be inserted or the provided doors and covers inserted for the unit to meet this specification.

Having said that, some of the 2xxx series units have a reported issue with condensation behind the bezel, but Garmin has been good about helping those affected by the problem.

More important is to realise that a lot of Garmin automotive units are NOT certified for water resistance. In particular, the i, C and Nuvi series as well as their PDA.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Garmin and water

I don't have that model, but I've taken my Garmin on four trips of at least 2500 miles, and it's seen a lot of rain (and even a little snow - not fun). While I have some gripes about Garmin's OS and poor documentation, I can't fault the hardware. Mine's been perfect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts