FJR Owners Forum banner

Garauld rear subframe stiffy kit needed.

7K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  rbentnail 
#1 ·
Heyup, as the title suggests Im in need of one of the stiffy kits for my 2013 fjr, so any help on tracking one down would be appreciated, ta in advance Tommy Tickle

#7 ·
#9 ·
It provides support for the subframe. The same reason you're looking for a stiffy kit.

#15 ·
As I’ve said a number of times,,,,a stiffy kit will not support the very inadequate oe yamaha subframe. You need something that supports and minimizes/ eliminates the tab flex on the back of the subframe, the tab is the part that has the 3 bolt holes in it that the oe pos plastic rack bolts into.

Flex of that “tab” is transferred through the vertical struts into the lower subframe where it will crack around the bolt holes that the fender bolts through. The stiffy does nothing to prevent the tab from flexing. But let me add that a Stiffy WILL prevent those broken parts from littering the highway behind you. By the way this is all on a gen 3 and Gen 3,5 Where I have personal experience with a broken subframe and replacing it.

Now I should add that I think a “stiffy” on a Gen 1 or 2 is a viable option as it’s design looks like it will minimize flex in the frame tab and struts in those , but I should add that I don’t have any up close and personal experience with those like I do on the Gen 3’s.

But like all things here it’s your bike & your money,,,,, also figure about 7-10days to change your subframe if you do it yourself. Money wise the “stiffy” is sub $100 while the yamaha heavy aluminum rack, the Givi SR357 and the Shad tube rack are all well over $100, the subframe is somewhere around $600 as a reference……(currently at $787 for my 2014 on Partzilla) my .02

#17 ·
Just as well since you can't get the stiffy any more

#19 ·
I guess you didn't read the thread. He scored one off of Ebay.

#20 ·
FWIW, a while back, another rider had an interest in making some stiffy kits up for sale so I sent him my drawings and welding jig. I've not seen him post anything about it since but if you are a talented individual, I would happily send you the set of drawings so you can make one up as well - just send me a PM with your email.

#22 ·
You most certainly can! At least I am on my '13. At first it worked fine then suddenly it didn't. I made a slight modification to the Smuggler and it's not been removed in quite some time now.

#24 ·
It was weird in that it was fine and then suddenly it wouldn't latch anymore. It'll be a few days until I can get some pics for you.

Reactions: chazglenn3
#27 ·
Thanks! I bought the Smuggler to use it and then suddenly it wouldn't fit and I missed not having it. The only times I take it off now is for a longer trip when I have an extra bag strapped to the rear seat. Next is to tighten the lid fit a little. I think it may leak if parked in a heavy downpour.

Reactions: chazglenn3
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.