FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Also,
It looks like all the racks, Yamaha, Givi, Shad will need to have plastic under the rear seat cut out to fit the supports?
Thanks again
Joe

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Joe, from my conversation(s) with Yamaha after my subframe broke they told me with using the Yamaha heavy aluminum rack (the one I have and the only one you have to cut out things I think) the givi sr 357 or Shad tube rack that they (Yamaha) only recommend a maximum of 10lbs over the weight of the top box, 10lbs !

That all said when my subframe broke I weighed my Shad 50l topbox which weighed in at 15lbs empty, the equivalent oe Yamaha box was 25lbs and the Yamaha rep got quite testy when I asked him about the additional 10lbs of the Yamaha box, I don’t know what the Givi topbox weighs.

I will also add that the rack you have supplies zero support and actually adds stress to the very poor rear subframe, that’s why I always recommend the heavy aluminum Yamaha rack, the Givi sr357 or the similar Shad tube rack as they all provide support to minimize any flex in the rear subframe. I also personally like to add a stiffy kit to keep the back of the bike together if the subframe does break which it did for me when mine broke. Although the stiffy by itself will not prevent a broken subframe as it provides no relief from the subframe tab’s flexing.

If you look in the owners manual it recommends a max of 7lbs as does the sticker on the subframe under the seat. I was very conscientious of no more than 5lbs in my 15lb Shad topbox for a total of 20lbs, I originally used a Shad “X” type steel mount that mounted exactly the same way as your rack along with an installed Stiffy and usually carried nothing in my topbox using it mostly for storing things at stops only with a very occasional trip and no more than 5lbsin the box.

Imho, I wouldn’t carry anything on that rack, not that it’s a bad piece but just because the subframe is so poor, they are about $600 for a new one with you doing the labor to change it out. My .02

·
Premium Member
3,331 Posts
Joe, from my conversation(s) with Yamaha after my subframe broke they told me with using the Yamaha heavy aluminum rack (the one I have and the only one you have to cut out things I think) the givi sr 357 or Shad tube rack that they (Yamaha) only recommend a maximum of 10lbs over the weight of the top box, 10lbs !
Steve, the data and instruction sheet for my Touratech (apparently no longer marketed but similar to this:
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle...SoHoc2-WvNynomCxAaAhFAEALw_wcB&sku_id=1015873) luggage rack says weight limit of 12 pounds (5 kilos). On a popular sports-tourer?

By the way, has Garauld thought about adding rider and passenger footpeg lowering blocks to his catalog?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
...has Garauld thought about adding rider and passenger footpeg lowering blocks to his catalog?
-> I have thought about these multiple times when MCL was making them. I am now retired and winding down to work on other projects and have no plans to add new items to my catalog. I was actually hoping a younger rider would pick up this product line and maybe buy me out? :wink2:

·
Registered
305 Posts
In addition to Russ's comments..... Just my opinion...... if you are strapping on a tail bag, that isn't the same as having a hard top case that can vibrate/flex and transfer loads to the rear subframe. It is more of a dead load and won't bounce, so to speak.
However, still no harm in having a stiffy kit or other aftermarket rear grab handle.
This makes a lot of sense, IMHO.

Why I'm not planning on adding stiffy kit to my bike after buying a used Pirates Lair passenger backrest, that will be used sporadically when I have a passenger, and also to allow me to strap a medium duffel back to the passenger seat as needed, without having any worries about it falling off the back of the bike (don't ask me why I am worried that such a thing might happen, lol.....)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I am interested in your highway mount/pegs for a 2015 fjr. big trip coming up and the knees can't take extended crouch anymore. Jon Simmonds Walworth NY

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi gang - I am starting to wind down the list of items I would make, kind of like retirement. Here's an updated [as of 12-13-2019] catalog listing of the items I normally make summarized in one place. Hopefully the photos will stay intact. If anything here interests you, please send me a personal message (PM) by clicking my member handle or send me an email at GTWorksLLC on Gmail. I will need your zip code to calc shipping costs. All products come with money back guarantee - no problemo.

In addition to these items, I may be able to make up specials to suit your specific needs. I also offer design and prototyping services for non-FJR items. I have
repaired and repainted many lids and other parts - if you need this service, contact me.

Please refrain from adding comments in this thread - put them in the Vendor Feedback thread instead. Thanks a bunch for looking and ride safe!

Luggage Racks - Gen1

Sorry, I am no longer making Gen1 racks.

Luggage Racks - Gen2/3

I have made two different styles for Gen2/3 racks (Standard, and Sport). All my racks are made of solid aluminum alloy and then TIG welded together. I normally powdercoat them satin black, but other common powdercoat colors are available. No modifications to the bike are needed for any of these - they just bolt on. Backrests can be added to any of the racks for $150 additional. Backrests can be either removable or permanently attached. Here is the Standard style - approx. 12" x 16-1/2" wide. Cost is $220 plus S&H for one powdercoated satin black:

Next is the smaller Sport style rack - approx. 10-1/2" x 11-1/2" wide. Cost is $200 plus S&H for one powdercoated satin black:

Backrests can be added to either of these racks for $150. The following images show the removable and permanent attachment styles:

Backrests - Gen1

I am no longer making backrests for Gen1 bikes.

Backrests - Gen2/3

I can also provide a backrest for your Gen2 or 3 bike as shown below for $200 plus S&H. These show the Saddlemen pad I now use for backrests. The frames are normally powdercoated satin black. It sets on top of the rack and uses longer SST bolts and spacers that I include.

Highway pegs kits

I have available highway peg kits for all model years - the mounting plates are the same. I normally powdercoat the plates, spacers and pegs dark silver (similar to the engine cases) for Gen1 & 2 bikes, or bright silver for the Gen3 bikes. Other color options are available. The stateside cost for just the plates, spacers and SST screws are $65 in case you wish to mount your own pegs. Add $40 for universal-style pegs shown in the first images or $70 for the Rivco anti-vibe pegs shown in the second set of pics. Note - the left plate does not interfere with oil filter replacement.

Universal:

Rivco:

This is what normally is included in a complete kit:

Stiffy kits

You may have read that some riders have experienced failure of the subframe - I have developed reinforcement kits that will substantially reduce the
chance of failure, and, if it were to happen, keep all the loosey items together until it can be serviced. A typical failure:

Gen1:

The stiffy kit for Gen1 bikes is $70 delivered stateside:

Gen2/3:

The stiffy kit for Gen2/3 bikes is $100 plus S&H:

Hydration systems

I can make you a hydration system to satisfy your thirst on the long haul. They come in 1/2 and 1-gal sizes and are mounted to one of your rear passenger footpegs. Included in the kit is a Coleman jug (you have some choice of colors), a base (again, you can pick a color), tubing and a bite valve. A quick-release latch makes removal quick for LD riders. Cost for the 1/2 gal kit is $100 plus S&H. Add $20 for the 1-gal kit. Note - these kits can be mounted to other bikes as well.

Radar Detector mount kit

I have available, a kit that allows you to mount your RD atop one of the handlebar fluid reservoirs. Finish is satin black powdercoat. Stateside delivered cost is $50.

Handguard extenders

These help keep your fingertips a bit warmer by deflecting the cold air lower than the V-Strom hand guards. $25 delivered stateside.

I have a Pirates Lair Back Rest already and I am looking at your Sport style rack - approx. 10-1/2" x 11-1/2" wide luggage rack. Can the two of these work together?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi gang - I am starting to wind down the list of items I would make, kind of like retirement. Here's an updated [as of 12-13-2019] catalog listing of the items I normally make summarized in one place. Hopefully the photos will stay intact. If anything here interests you, please send me a personal message (PM) by clicking my member handle or send me an email at GTWorksLLC on Gmail. I will need your zip code to calc shipping costs. All products come with money back guarantee - no problemo.

In addition to these items, I may be able to make up specials to suit your specific needs. I also offer design and prototyping services for non-FJR items. I have
repaired and repainted many lids and other parts - if you need this service, contact me.

Please refrain from adding comments in this thread - put them in the Vendor Feedback thread instead. Thanks a bunch for looking and ride safe!

Luggage Racks - Gen1

Sorry, I am no longer making Gen1 racks.

Luggage Racks - Gen2/3

I have made two different styles for Gen2/3 racks (Standard, and Sport). All my racks are made of solid aluminum alloy and then TIG welded together. I normally powdercoat them satin black, but other common powdercoat colors are available. No modifications to the bike are needed for any of these - they just bolt on. Backrests can be added to any of the racks for $150 additional. Backrests can be either removable or permanently attached. Here is the Standard style - approx. 12" x 16-1/2" wide. Cost is $220 plus S&H for one powdercoated satin black:

Next is the smaller Sport style rack - approx. 10-1/2" x 11-1/2" wide. Cost is $200 plus S&H for one powdercoated satin black:

Backrests can be added to either of these racks for $150. The following images show the removable and permanent attachment styles:

Backrests - Gen1

I am no longer making backrests for Gen1 bikes.

Backrests - Gen2/3

I can also provide a backrest for your Gen2 or 3 bike as shown below for $200 plus S&H. These show the Saddlemen pad I now use for backrests. The frames are normally powdercoated satin black. It sets on top of the rack and uses longer SST bolts and spacers that I include.

Highway pegs kits

I have available highway peg kits for all model years - the mounting plates are the same. I normally powdercoat the plates, spacers and pegs dark silver (similar to the engine cases) for Gen1 & 2 bikes, or bright silver for the Gen3 bikes. Other color options are available. The stateside cost for just the plates, spacers and SST screws are $65 in case you wish to mount your own pegs. Add $40 for universal-style pegs shown in the first images or $70 for the Rivco anti-vibe pegs shown in the second set of pics. Note - the left plate does not interfere with oil filter replacement.

Universal:

Rivco:

This is what normally is included in a complete kit:

Stiffy kits

You may have read that some riders have experienced failure of the subframe - I have developed reinforcement kits that will substantially reduce the
chance of failure, and, if it were to happen, keep all the loosey items together until it can be serviced. A typical failure:

Gen1:

The stiffy kit for Gen1 bikes is $70 delivered stateside:

Gen2/3:

The stiffy kit for Gen2/3 bikes is $100 plus S&H:

Hydration systems

I can make you a hydration system to satisfy your thirst on the long haul. They come in 1/2 and 1-gal sizes and are mounted to one of your rear passenger footpegs. Included in the kit is a Coleman jug (you have some choice of colors), a base (again, you can pick a color), tubing and a bite valve. A quick-release latch makes removal quick for LD riders. Cost for the 1/2 gal kit is $100 plus S&H. Add $20 for the 1-gal kit. Note - these kits can be mounted to other bikes as well.

Radar Detector mount kit

I have available, a kit that allows you to mount your RD atop one of the handlebar fluid reservoirs. Finish is satin black powdercoat. Stateside delivered cost is $50.

Handguard extenders

These help keep your fingertips a bit warmer by deflecting the cold air lower than the V-Strom hand guards. $25 delivered stateside.

Gerald,

‘’any chance I can get a foot peg kit from you?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
‘’any chance I can get a foot peg kit from you?
Yes.

Folks - you'll get a faster response if you follow instructions:
please send me a personal message (PM) by clicking my member handle or send me an email at GTWorksLLC on Gmail.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Hi - due to my retirement, I have cut back on some of my offerings so I can work on other projects. Sorry for the hassle.

121 - 136 of 136 Posts