FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Changed the thread title, as will keep it updated with my FZ1 journey!

Changed the oil and filter yesterday.

K&N filter (like the option of having the bolt head on top to help with removal if necessary as it's tight to get a filter wrench in there), and MOTUL 7100 10W40 full synthetic.

The bike did feel a bit notchy shifting, and the old oil was pretty dark looking through the side window, previous owner said he "hadn't changed it since last season" whatever that means.

When draining the old oil looked really dirty, was glad to get it out of the engine.

Never used MOTUL, read a lot of good reviews. Have to say it certainly LOOKS cool, bright red in color, even through the window on the engine (at least until it gets dirty, lol).

Haven't had a chance to take it out to see if the shifting is improved yet.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Nice, I had to say something when I saw yours. I was going to go Meister ZetaCRD's, but decided to go Koni STR.T w/Progress springs. Mine will stay pure street for now, I'll probably add RX8 sways and leave it at that. Looking at the 2.5 swap though...LOL

Back on the FZ1, that Conti Sport Attack package deal is insane; great move getting rid of the 8 year-old tires, I had some major issues on my first FJR when the original Metzelers ('05 Gen 1 that only had 2500 miles at the time I bought it in 2011) on my 8 day trip to the Dragon and back. Front tire developed an internal bubble and a near blowout near Morristown Tennessee, and nearly ruined my trip if I hadn't found the only place with my size tire. I nearly crashed on the interstate that day, all because I didn't change out the tires. On the way back the rear tire decided to 'attract' a nail and it went down on the interstate as well.

Dang that is gnarly on that tire. Looks like it was about to self-destruct, and take you with it. Were they not rated for a heavy bike like the FJR?

Ahhh the 2.5 swap for the MX5 - with you being in TX, and your car being older and probably having a lot of miles, it's a no brainer, IMO.

Have considered it myself, buy my car just turned 26k miles, and I have a hard time thinking about ditching an almost new engine. Been considering the rear mount turbo that the same shop is currently finishing development on - but my two new bikes have pretty much tapped out my hobby funds for the next year at least.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just can't sell my FZ1
Its way too much fun on any twisty road.
First one I sold with 102,000kms
Second one has only 25,000 so far.
Not has comfortable as an FJR but really not bad at all.

This bike (FZ1 2011) does whatever you ask whenever you ask it !!

Its an amazing commuter bike. I tried to get a buddy to buy the first one but he bought a Harley. I was surprised since its twice the weight and Harleys are not known as a commuter bikes !?

·
Registered
4 Posts
An FJR may beat the FZ1 in comfort but wait 4 the twisties

Just can't sell my FZ1
Its way too much fun on any twisty road.
First one I sold with 102,000kms
Second one has only 25,000 so far.
Not has comfortable as an FJR but really not bad at all.

This bike (FZ1 2011) does whatever you ask whenever you ask it !!

Its an amazing commuter bike. I tried to get a buddy to buy the first one but he bought a Harley. I was surprised since its twice the weight and Harleys are not known as a commuter bikes !?
I do enjoy my FJR but like I said the FZ does anything you ask immediately.

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
Dang that is gnarly on that tire. Looks like it was about to self-destruct, and take you with it. Were they not rated for a heavy bike like the FJR?

Ahhh the 2.5 swap for the MX5 - with you being in TX, and your car being older and probably having a lot of miles, it's a no brainer, IMO.

Have considered it myself, buy my car just turned 26k miles, and I have a hard time thinking about ditching an almost new engine. Been considering the rear mount turbo that the same shop is currently finishing development on - but my two new bikes have pretty much tapped out my hobby funds for the next year at least.
That was the correct tire and actually the OE tire, I checked and that was one of the choices they came with. The other was the Bridgestone BT021's, but these were the correct ones. I bought it with only 2500 miles from the original owner in 2011, so they were at least 6-7 years old. There was a thought that it may have happened by hitting a pothole, but yeah, I thanked my lucky stars that day.

I have 109k miles on my MX5, so yes the 2.5L is on my mind. Will have to wait until we get out of this Covid mess though, it effected my wife's job and the 'fun' funds are not there right now.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Last set of tires I had put on mine were Dunlop Q3's. OMG, confidence inspiring is an understatement.

Reactions: maximrebel

·
Registered
350 Posts
Last set of tires I had put on mine were Dunlop Q3's. OMG, confidence inspiring is an understatement.
I had Dunlop Q3's on my Honda 919, same here, they felt amazing on that bike but not very durable.

Reactions: Whooshka

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Changed the oil and filter yesterday.

K&N filter (like the option of having the bolt head on top to help with removal if necessary as it's tight to get a filter wrench in there), and MOTUL 7100 10W40 full synthetic.
Keep an eye on that K&N oil filter.

Many racetracks banned them after lots of bursting failures. Apparently K&N changed manufacturers several years back and were having enough failures to get listed as banned equipment. (They are popular at the track because of that nut on the end with holes you can run the required safety wire through.)

There's a company called HiFlo that uses the prior manufacturer (same nut on the end) and is the recommended alternative to the K&N.

I didn't have a problem with them, but it was always in the back of my mind until I switched over to the HiFlo in all the bikes.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Keep an eye on that K&N oil filter.

Many racetracks banned them after lots of bursting failures. Apparently K&N changed manufacturers several years back and were having enough failures to get listed as banned equipment. (They are popular at the track because of that nut on the end with holes you can run the required safety wire through.)

There's a company called HiFlo that uses the prior manufacturer (same nut on the end) and is the recommended alternative to the K&N.

I didn't have a problem with them, but it was always in the back of my mind until I switched over to the HiFlo in all the bikes.
:surprise:

Ugh. And I bought 2. So I would have one for my next FJR oil change (they use the same size).

I'm sure mine will be fine, as they don't see redline that often (compared to heavy track use for sure), but will look into the HiFlo for future changes.

Do you have a link?

I had always thought K&N were higher quality products.

EDIT:

Found a couple links myself. Here's one:
https://www.triumphrat.net/threads/split-k-n-oil-filter.837538/

Pretty scary, as one would likely not have any idea what was happening until something bad happened either to the motor, or the rear tire slipped out badly from the oil.

Looks like K&N had a recall of filters produced in 2016 - so would assume the problem is fixed, as the liability could bankrupt even a big company.
https://www.knfilters.com/recallkn204

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
I had always thought K&N were higher quality products.
I don't mean to besmirch their name... but I hear lots of people that claim K&N stuff to be the lowest consumer grade you can get... but in a fancy box. I've used lots of their things through the years and my feeling is that is true. I believe their talk is always bigger than their walk. The washable air filters have been demonstrated to be way less effective than OEM filters as well.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,096 Posts
Have read a few K&N oil filter horrors on VFR threads as well... just my opinion, but that nut is totally unnecessary feature if one knows how to install and remove an oil filter. Given all the stories, I simply won't use them or the HiFlo with the nut, no reason to.

I inherited K&N air filters on my two Hondas, I think they are well made and I see how that special cotton filter media works. The one on my VFR was way beyond it's best before date for servicing the air filter, rather ugly/getting plugged on the air intake side, but very clean on the engine side. I have no problem using their air filters if properly serviced.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
A couple of guys on the CB 1100 forum had the K&N oil filters fail spraying the back wheel and rear brake with oil.nobody went down thankfully, but it was a mess, required a tow, and new rear brake pads.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
just my opinion, but that nut is totally unnecessary feature if one knows how to install and remove an oil filter. Given all the stories, I simply won't use them or the HiFlo with the nut, no reason to.
My track bikes are required to have safety wire securing the oil filter, so in lew of an added band to attach the wire... that nut is super handy. I've had no trouble with the HiFlos and I also like to use a torque wrench on the filter.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,096 Posts
I don't know the differences with the HiFlo, but in all the discussions over K&N and HiFlo, several used the nut to install, a few did not and still had the projection welds fail on K&N's. Many pointed out you are not to use the nut to install a K&N, but only to remove it. You will not find installation instructions to "prove it", but you will find "Wrench-Off" on the box, and this on their website:

· Wrench-Off® design. Changing your oil filter is a fairly easy at-home DIY, and is often a favorite first project for novice mechanics. K&N helps make routine maintenance even easier with a built-in, one-inch nut that allows you to easily remove the canister with a standard wrench, instead of having to deal with clumsy specialty filter wrenches. · Pre-drilled nut. K&N pre-drills the wrench-off nut with a hole for a safety wire attachment. This helps ensure that your oil filter is securely installed - which is especially vital on a motorcycle application, or in racing or other extreme conditions.

Conversely, on the HiFlo website:
"17mm cross drilled nut enabling easy installation, removal and lock wiring for race use."

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Got a new windshield.

The FJR spoiled me on the wind protection, lol. Was feeling pretty beat up on the FZ1, with just that tiny screen that didn't even cover the chest and shoulder area.

Picked up National Cycle V-Stream from an eBay power seller. Was listed as a "NIB return", so got it for roughly half price, $70, with tax and shipping was $92.

Was definitely unmounted and new, had all the stickers on it, not a single scratch or mark.
Installation was a breeze, just six screws off and on to replace.

REALLY happy with the purchase, it is about 5" taller and several inches wider, especially at the top - than the stocker, still looks sporty IMHO, but provides easily twice as much wind protection. Keeps the wind completely off of my chest/shoulders/upper body. Wind seems to hit right about mid-visor height on me - even allows me to ride with my visor one click about 1/4" open for fresh air without catching full wind blast (have to make sure my head is not tipped back for this to work).

·
Registered
350 Posts
Got a new windshield.

The FJR spoiled me on the wind protection, lol. Was feeling pretty beat up on the FZ1, with just that tiny screen that didn't even cover the chest and shoulder area.

Picked up National Cycle V-Stream from an eBay power seller. Was listed as a "NIB return", so got it for roughly half price, $70, with tax and shipping was $92.

Was definitely unmounted and new, had all the stickers on it, not a single scratch or mark.
Installation was a breeze, just six screws off and on to replace.

REALLY happy with the purchase, it is about 5" taller and several inches wider, especially at the top - than the stocker, still looks sporty IMHO, but provides easily twice as much wind protection. Keeps the wind completely off of my chest/shoulders/upper body. Wind seems to hit right about mid-visor height on me - even allows me to ride with my visor one click about 1/4" open for fresh air without catching full wind blast (have to make sure my head is not tipped back for this to work).

Looks great, would be one of the first things I'd do as well.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
I had a big screen for the winter to help keep warm, and a smaller one for summer. The summer air is so much smoother with a short screen.

That big V-stream IS what I used as my winter screen.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I had a big screen for the winter to help keep warm, and a smaller one for summer. The summer air is so much smoother with a short screen.

That big V-stream IS what I used as my winter screen.
Really liking it so far.

I think if I were to do really long distance touring on the FZ1 that I would put one of the taller Rifle fairings on the bike. They seem to be well made, with a lot of coverage from what I've read. Only problem is cost, as they are $200, plus tax and prob shipping too.

Reactions: madmax-im

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Another post with me trying to turn my FZ1 into a mini FJR, lol.

I have to admit I LIKE having a gearshift indicator on my bikes. Like it on the FJR, liked it on my 82 V45 Sabre.

With the closely stacked 6-speed on the FZ1, I could never tell what gear I was in when approaching a stop, and was constantly trying to upshift into "7th gear".

A bit of research led me to the Healtech GIPro X-2, got it for $119 plus tax, shipped.

Using this excellent install vid:

Took me just over an hour to install, taking my time, while cranking the stereo in my garage.

Works amazingly well. Plugs into the crankshaft position indicator, the speed sensor, and a switched power wire. Has a learning function, and pretty sure it tells what gear you are in based on the speed, and the engine RPM's. It shows a gear reading only when the bike is in gear and the clutch is not pulled in.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Another post with me trying to turn my FZ1 into a mini FJR, lol.
LOL, that's what I keep thinking with each post you make. I get it though, but it is funny that your experience with the FJR turns you into a direction more and more to create that 'perfect' mini FJR. Keep posting, I like what you're doing. I've looked at FZ1's in the past for the same reason.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts