FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!

Do you use 1st gear in normal riding?

• I don't even need to think about it because AE/ES

Votes: 0 0.0%
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300R / 2007 Husq SMR 510
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Wow and that is to much thought for me to how I ride. I have looked in the owners and service manual to see if my 2015 A model has an engine brake and cannot find it in the books or on the dash so I am guessing my bike does not have it. All I know is I start out in 1st and try to quit shifting when I get in 5th and downshift when I need to. Mine is a really simple bike and easy to ride and that is what I do.
Can't tell if this is sarcasm or genuine.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Yep back in the old days which for me was the 70's you looked at the tach and speedo to know what gear you were in.
My ZRX doesn't, and I never really think about it. I know when I'm in 5th, and I seldom use 1st unless I'm stopped. Otherwise, I don't care. :)

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
My ZRX takes off in 2nd from a stop light easier than my ZX14 or FJR

·
Registered
522 Posts
Yep back in the old days which for me was the 70's you looked at the tach and speedo to know what gear you were in.
My 2013 Super Tenere doesn't have a gear position indicator. Amazingly I can still ride it!😁

Haynes

• Haha
Reactions: ReRose

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm curious why one would start in 2nd gear and lug the engine.

I use 1st all the time and will keep it there until at least 4k. I also use it all the time at parking lot speeds or heavy traffic while dragging the rear brake and slipping the clutch.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts

I use 1st all the time and will keep it there until at least 4k. I also use it all the time at parking lot speeds or heavy traffic while dragging the rear brake and slipping the clutch.
It is not usually intentional

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

Like I said in the OP it does not lug my engine at all. I can literally give the engine almost zero throttle and take off in a flat situation (obviously on a uphill I would use first) and release the clutch same as first and the bike does not sputter or lug. In parking lots second is just fine with no need to trail brake at all.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
My ZRX takes off in 2nd from a stop light easier than my ZX14 or FJR
Is your ZRX and 1100 or 1200? Stock geared?

It is not usually intentional
Yeah. I don't take off in 2nd intentionally, but occasionally I'll take off and just realize that was second. I have taken off in 3rd; that's possible but it doesn't work so well. :)

• Haha
Reactions: ReRose

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm a little confused by the poll question...do the responses mean the bulk of riders DON'T gear down coming to a stop? i.e. come to a full stop in high gear with clutch in, then gear down at the stop?

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I'm a little confused by the poll question...do the responses mean the bulk of riders DON'T gear down coming to a stop? i.e. come to a full stop in high gear with clutch in, then gear down at the stop?
Hmmm.....

Well, I took it to mean use 1st for an engine brake.

I've never had one that downshifted well at a stop. If I'm coming to a planned stop, I'll pull the clutch and downshift maybe to 3rd and release the clutch. Then as I'm rolling up to stop I'll pull the clutch, downshift to 2nd and just prior to coming to a full stop to first. I don't downshift to 4th, release the clutch, downshift to 3rd, release the clutch, ............ even though that's what I taught beginners for 15 years. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hmmm.....

Well, I took it to mean use 1st for an engine brake.

I've never had one that downshifted well at a stop. If I'm coming to a planned stop, I'll pull the clutch and downshift maybe to 3rd and release the clutch. Then as I'm rolling up to stop I'll pull the clutch, downshift to 2nd and just prior to coming to a full stop to first. I don't downshift to 4th, release the clutch, downshift to 3rd, release the clutch, ............ even though that's what I taught beginners for 15 years. :rolleyes:
I was trained to match your gear to the driving speed. That way you always use some degree of engine braking. Panic stops are a different story.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I meant like use 1st in engine braking. Personally I use 2,3,4 for engine braking but I never go into 1st in order to slow the bike. I go from 2nt to N and then use rear brake.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,769 Posts
I match gearing to riding speed as well....... downshift progressively when slowing for a stop. Bikes don't like skipping gears, there are no syncros.... going into first is usually bad as the ratio is very low even compared to 2nd. If the bike is slightly rollling, it will go into first easier than at a full stop. I have in a panic stop been in 4th or 5th, and when stopped, very difficult to shift down unless you can rock the bike back and forth.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I remember reading in several places it's not recommended to downshift thru the gears with the clutch pulled while at a stop. Ray is right with the syncro reason.

·
Registered
2015 FJR1300A
120 Posts
Brakes are for slowing the bike, gears are for having the rpms where you want them when the throttle is opened. Maybe it's a racing thing but when slowing for a corner I shift to the gear required for that turn while braking, if it's a slow turn after a straight it might be from 5th to 2nd so 3 shifts in a row, click, click, click. Engine braking doesn't work very well when there is no load on the rear wheel during braking. That's bled over to my street riding. Modern day transmissions are very strong, failure's are rare, even with performance enhancements. Not so much with motorcycles (I have never seen a worn out tranny even though they are sequential.) but I have seen car manual transmissions worn out from "Rowing the box", up shifting then back down, I was taught that when stopping, it's brakes not gears. It's easer and cheaper to do a brake job than a transmission job.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,524 Posts
Brakes are for slowing the bike, gears are for having the rpms where you want them when the throttle is opened. Maybe it's a racing thing but when slowing for a corner I shift to the gear required for that turn while braking, if it's a slow turn after a straight it might be from 5th to 2nd so 3 shifts in a row, click, click, click. Engine braking doesn't work very well when there is no load on the rear wheel during braking. That's bled over to my street riding. Modern day transmissions are very strong, failure's are rare, even with performance enhancements. Not so much with motorcycles (I have never seen a worn out tranny even though they are sequential.) but I have seen car manual transmissions worn out from "Rowing the box", up shifting then back down, I was taught that when stopping, it's brakes not gears. It's easer and cheaper to do a brake job than a transmission job.
I ride in so much traffic that I'd be replacing brakes 3 times a year ;)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
If I went from 5th to 2nt on my Husky 510 SMR no matter how much braking I would be pulling gear teeth out of my oil pan screen.

·
Registered
2015 FJR1300A
120 Posts
I ride in so much traffic that I'd be replacing brakes 3 times a year ;)
I agree, traffic is a different situation. When coming to a stop I'll slow down and shift from 4-5 to 1st as I stop. Still, brakes are easer and cheaper than a transmission. When I was a kid I had a Yamaha 100 Scrambler twin t-stroke, my father said it had a "Glass transmission" so be gentle on it, I never was and never broke it. Maybe I'm just lazy.

·
Registered
2009 FJR 1300AE
530 Posts
No none of the ES have auto trans unless you are in Europe, they call it the AS. The AE in North America never had ES suspension, they quit selling AE's in 2011.

As for the OP's question, I get it rolling in 1st and soon shift into 2nd. Rarely if ever downshift into 1st unless I'm almost stopped.
I believe that 09 was the last year for the AE in the US. Not sure about anywhere else. :unsure:

21 - 40 of 50 Posts