FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!

Do you use 1st gear in normal riding?

• I don't even need to think about it because AE/ES

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300R / 2007 Husq SMR 510
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I personally almost never use my 1st gear when actually riding. I only use it to park or roll into a storage space, maybe to get up on a sidewalk slowly. In traffic I never engine brake into first (yikes for me anyway) and always go 1 up into 2nt to take off. Save for the AE or ES guys/gals out there I cannot be the only one that does this. I am not or never need to ride the clutch and it engages without sputter almost instantaneously so there is no more clutch plate slippage/rubbing than a 1st gear take off. Anyone have a valid debate or do the same?

Just for clarification I am riding the Gen 1 with only 5 gears (1 down ~ 4 up) and my 5th coo's pleasantly at 4800rpm - 90Mph. I know it has the most aggressive gearing of the lot.

·
Registered
'18 GL1800 Goldwing, '98 Shadow VT1100T, '16 FJR 1300 (Sold)
179 Posts
Im not sure what AE or ES has to do with this, but I voted anyway. I use 1st when taking off and am quickly into 2nd.. on the way down, I'll engine break down to 2nd and even N but only once I'm stopped do I put it back into 1st to wait for the light or stop at a stop sign

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im not sure what AE or ES has to do with this, but I voted anyway. I use 1st when taking off and am quickly into 2nd.. on the way down, I'll engine break down to 2nd and even N but only once I'm stopped do I put it back into 1st to wait for the light or stop at a stop sign
I just meant like AS being automatic and ES being pushing buttons neither are really ever shifting the bike, they are both computer operated and timed. Can you even shift an ES into 1st from say 4th? Will it let you? I honestly do not know.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Sorry.. it may be too early for my brain, but I took ES to be the Electronic Suspension model that came out in 2016... not a clutchless motorcycle that you are referring too.

In my head the suspension had nothing to do with shifting gears.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry.. it may be too early for my brain, but I took ES to be the Electronic Suspension model that came out in 2016... not a clutchless motorcycle that you are referring too.

In my head the suspension had nothing to do with shifting gears.
No I am the idiot up early, all the auto transmission ones have the ES but not all the ES have the auto transmission.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,764 Posts
No none of the ES have auto trans unless you are in Europe, they call it the AS. The AE in North America never had ES suspension, they quit selling AE's after 2009.

As for the OP's question, I get it rolling in 1st and soon shift into 2nd. Rarely if ever downshift into 1st unless I'm almost stopped.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I thought the AE's were long gone, but when I saw it along side ES I just thought both were suspension related.... where's my COFFEE!!

Fun topic/poll though

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No none of the ES have auto trans unless you are in Europe, they call it the AS. The AE in North America never had ES suspension, they quit selling AE's in 2011.

As for the OP's question, I get it rolling in 1st and soon shift into 2nd. Rarely if ever downshift into 1st unless I'm almost stopped.
I just go off of this...

As far as I could see whenever they mention the ones with the YCC-S they always say "Same as the AE version". Coffee please!

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I start from a stop in 1st and soon shift into 2nd, usually by 3K RPM. Same as Ray, rarely do I downshift into 1st unless I'm almost stopped.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe I am just paranoid but I just don't like the "clunk" it makes when you go from N into 1st. Even if it is quiet it just feels like it's doing more contact than 2nt.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I start from a stop in 1st and soon shift into 2nd, usually by 3K RPM. Same as Ray, rarely do I downshift into 1st unless I'm almost stopped.
Same.

Haynes

Reactions: Whooshka

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,764 Posts
De3fi
I just go off of this...

As far as I could see whenever they mention the ones with the YCC-S they always say "Same as the AE version". Coffee please!
Definitely a European document, not applicable to North America.. hey look at all the colour choices and combinations they got.... AE over there doesn't mean AE over here, it was a trim level... (mirror deflectors, footguards, etc.), may or may not have had YCC-S.
For North America, this spreadsheet compiled by Ignacio on another forum....

Attachments

Reactions: StreamRider

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
No none of the ES have auto trans unless you are in Europe, they call it the AS. The AE in North America never had ES suspension, they quit selling AE's in 2011.

I couldn't vote that I NEVER engine brake in first because we have some very tight, uphill, low-gear turns in a couple of roads I enjoy, but I almost never do. I too get it rolling in first and shift to second pretty much as soon as I can get my left foot off the ground and under the lever. At a light or stop sign I'll be in 2nd before I clear the intersection.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Wow and that is to much thought for me to how I ride. I have looked in the owners and service manual to see if my 2015 A model has an engine brake and cannot find it in the books or on the dash so I am guessing my bike does not have it. All I know is I start out in 1st and try to quit shifting when I get in 5th and downshift when I need to. Mine is a really simple bike and easy to ride and that is what I do.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Wow and that is to much thought for me to how I ride. I have looked in the owners and service manual to see if my 2015 A model has an engine brake and cannot find it in the books or on the dash so I am guessing my bike does not have it. All I know is I start out in 1st and try to quit shifting when I get in 5th and downshift when I need to. Mine is a really simple bike and easy to ride and that is what I do.
A beginner asked me a few days ago how I knew what gear I was in, and without explaining that we have gear indicators, I told him that I don't even care. I upshift as required until I can't anymore and downshift the same way. :)

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Yep back in the old days which for me was the 70's you looked at the tach and speedo to know what gear you were in.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts