FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
08 FJR13AX
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
The gasket. It's V-shaped, cross-section:

Gadget Gas Automotive lighting Auto part Audio equipment

(In this photo, the gasket hasn't been cleaned yet; but you can see how it mounts,.)

Here's the McMaster-Carr O-ring, which fits perfectly
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Rim Gas Fender

The leak is generally a "weep"... not like, flooding out of there or anything. I always put a blue paper shop towel up against the fuel pump when it's mounted under the tank, and I see "smiles" of wetness from around the outside of the flange.
Crazy, right? I keep thinking "there's something obvious that you're missing!'... but, haven't found it quite yet

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
My best guess is there must be a super fine hairline crack somewhere that doesn't come into play until it's torqued down. Man this is a stumper.

·
Registered
08 FJR13AX
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
...Man this is a stumper.
you got that right . I mean, Physics is PHYSICS, right. I'm just not seeing any cracks or issues with the plastic fuel pump.. so far! As I mentioned, the ONLY two elements, both tiny, are 1) some microscopic pitting in the sheet steel, and 2) a .005-.007" convexity in the aluminum flange.
Is it possible that the three times I've used sealer goop (Loctite 714 and then Permatex Permashield orange)... that neither DRIED enough before assembly.. and remained wet into usage?
I dunno ... but I intend to find out

Here's the original condition last Spring, when I first realized that the FUEL SMELL was too much-
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Vehicle

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Fluid Automotive exterior

·
Registered
272 Posts
Always a pain having to chase a problem repeatedly without successful solution.
For the past year or two fuel pumps on Ebay have been stupid expensive and in short supply.
Just so happens there are 2 FJR fuel pumps available on Ebay right now at "reasonable" prices.
For as much time and trouble as you have already gone to, now may be a good time to try a different fuel pump to eliminate the possibility that there is a crack in the housing.

Neither of these are my fuel pumps, and I don't know either of the sellers and I haven't bought anything from either seller. One of these also has the mounting ring included.

Buyer beware.

06-12 YAMAHA FJR 1300 FUEL Gas Petrol Pump Sending Unit OEM 5JW-1397-22 | eBay

06-12 YAMAHA FJR1300A FUEL GAS PUMP TESTED WORKS | eBay

There's still plenty of others at stupid prices on Ebay.

dan

·
Registered
08 FJR13AX
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
...now may be a good time to try a different fuel pump to eliminate the possibility that there is a crack in the housing.
Thanks for that, Dan.
Not being a man of great Means, I hesitate on "throwing parts at a problem". I've got the fuel pump here on the desk next to me, and I've been over it with a microscope, just about. No signs of any hairline cracks.
I MAY take up your suggestion.. but I have to keep investigating first. Currently, that small convexity in the aluminum flange has my attention, and I want to re-inspect the sheet metal surfaces on the tank once again.

·
Registered
08 FJR13AX
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Possible breakthrough - I was looking hard at the tank sheet metal around the orifice, running my finger over the flat surface .. and found some rippling on that area; some high and low spots between the bolt holes. Not huge, but enough that I could feel it quite clearly.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Camera accessory Rim Gas

This could be a culprit - it might explain why nothing (leaking) has changed despite different gaskets, etc.
The tank metal there is pretty soft; I did some very light tapping with a small hammer and some gentle bending and got it flat to the touch now, at least. That sheet was VERY malleable, and anyone working on their fuel pump should be careful not to distort it.
I cleaned everything like a lunatic once again, and this time laid down an even smear of some German sealant called Reinzosil, that a good mechanic I know swears by. Torqued it all down carefully to 4 n/m once again, and right now it's setting-up. Going to let it dry a full 24 hours or more.
Keep fingers crossed for me; I'd like to get past this particular soap opera ... maybe you guys too!

41 - 46 of 46 Posts