FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
08 FJR13AX
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been getting some minor leakage from under the fuel tank, so I pulled it off and replaced the assembly's main O-ring.
Laying the tank down for a while on the bench, with cardboard underneath, I still found some leakage.. from somewhere.
It's late tonight and I had to shut-down for now.

But that O-ring is flat on one side, V-shaped on the other, and none of the diagrams in my books (or the fische) show the proper position. Anyone know?

Wood Font Circle Rectangle Symmetry

Also, any thoughts about leakage down there? It didn't SEEM to be coming from the fuel line snap-fitting... I was getting some fuel "moisture" on the underside of the tank, behind the fuel pump mount bracket.
That's pretty thin sheet on the tank bottom, and it has a few weld dimples around there.... no chance that my tank BOTTOM is leaking, eh? It's always been garaged and no signs of any corrosion anywhere else on the bike, (30K mlles).

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,211 Posts
Thread on the other board says flat side away from fuel

Reactions: Bandit Greg

·
Registered
08 FJR13AX
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, OJ.
I'll have to dig into it more tom'w, but I'm concerned that I still had fuel leaking from somewhere in that same area, after I installed the new seal. When I left the tank on the bench there was some signs of wetness. The old O-ring looks fine, here on my desk... so this may be coming from somewhere else.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Is the inside of the tank rusted ? Has the bike sat w/o being run for a while ? Take a good look inside the tank with a flashlight, particularly in the creases and crevises for rust. One of the things I’ve seen a lot in the last few years on the antique bikes I redo is a lot of rust that creates a pinhole in the tanks that leak. I believe that this is the result of the alcohol In the gas these days because the alcohol absorbs water out of the air and then causes rust in the tanks, that’s my theory anyway.

So. If you’re having trouble identifying the leak source, wipe the bottom of the off well and then use some baby powder or talc on the bottom to show you where it’s leaking. Just some thoughts.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Could it have been just some residual gas in the vent line from flipping the tank over?

·
Registered
08 FJR13AX
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could it have been just some residual gas in the vent line from flipping the tank over?
Unlikely; as I worked with the tank with a little fuel still in it, (I know) when I replaced the gasket. I just put a towel in a milk crate and put the thing on it's nose in there. The leak seems (seemed? I hope?) to be coming from behind the pump flange where it meets the tank... nowhere near the vent tube.

Of course, I didn't read the DIRECTIONS .. regarding torqueing the six 4mm flange bolts...
So I did it again... this time sanding the bare tank metal mating surface carefully with 1000 grit. I DID find that there was some porosity in the sheet metal... very, very fine... so I smoothed-on a little Suzuki bond 1216 .. torqued the bolts ultra-carefully, IN ORDER this time.
Out on the Bandit 12 today, as it''ll be 73 degrees up in the Catskill Mountains... and I'm taking advantage of it

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,211 Posts
If it still drips, consider a coat of permatex aviation gasket sealer on each gasket mating surface. It'll take case of any little deformities. For me it's like Frank's Red Hot - I use that shit on everything.

·
Registered
08 FJR13AX
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As mentioned, I used some Suzuki 1216 bond on the mating surfaces.
One day later and 15 miles, no signs of leak.

·
Registered
08 FJR13AX
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DANG
... leak is back again, this time more flow (drip) than ever.
It seemed to have been fixed; I tested it with a gallon of gas in the tank overnight night before last.. everything was dry yesterday morning. So I took it out for the afternoon, filled it up and rode it for 1/3 tank, came home and lifted the tank just to check (I thought I'd smelled a little fuel)... and there was a tiny bit of wetness.
So I took a piece of brown paper and left it underneath the pump overnight - this morning came out and it was clearly wet.
Dang.
I hate working with FUEL like this; not only fire-dangerous but also toxic
Anyone have a good method for draining that big old tank safely?

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,211 Posts
As mentioned, I used some Suzuki 1216 bond on the mating surfaces.
One day later and 15 miles, no signs of leak.
Never heard of it. Is is fuel safe?

·
Registered
08 FJR13AX
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Never heard of it. Is is fuel safe?
Hmmm... GOOD QUESTION, OJ.
It's really excellent stuff - for crankcase-sealing and such, (it is the factory-recommended sealant for my Bandit case-halves, and also the cut-outs on the valve cover gasket).. pretty tenacious stuff.
But maybe I was just Swinging & Hoping here, that it would be fuel safe. I mean it's certainly OIL safe and effective.. uhhhhhh :unsure: .... I didn't find anything on a Google search about it.

I did use a brand-new gasket (the old one looked fine)...cleaned the mating surfaces carefully.

Other than that... is it possible it could it be leaking through the pump bolt holes? I did use blue Loctite, but maybe that's not enough? Aargh.

Fluid Liquid Drink Gas Personal care

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Steering wheel Rim Automotive design

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,615 Posts
I'm not sure all RTV gasket makers are gasoline resistant.. the Aviation sealer is...... that Loctite stuff is kinda pricey....
Not sure why you have a leak in the first place, one would think it shouldn't.......

Reactions: Bandit Greg

·
Registered
08 FJR13AX
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not sure why you have a leak in the first place, one would think it shouldn't.......
I'm with you on that... I'm still trying to diagnose. Last night I put a piece of brown paper under the fuel pump and laid the tank back down... it came up wet this morning. I disconnected the fuel line (to give better access), and this time taped another 4" square up to it, marking the bolt heads on it. That was four hours ago and no sign of leak ...yet.

Sleeve Bumper Tints and shades Human leg Wood

There WAS some gas on the outside of the fuel line before I disconnected it, in the middle of it, right where it sits under the pump. I couldn't find any wetness on the snap-fitting itself.. so I don't think it's from there, but weird that now, when the fuel line is disconnected, I'm not seeing any leak as yet.
Still working on it..
Curious

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,211 Posts
Just the pump and the hose/fitting leading out of it. Unless there is a leak, in which case it might try to pressurize the tank - but you would hear the pump running constantly.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,615 Posts
Pressure in the hose and fuel rail is about 40 psi...... O-ring in the line fitting??

·
Registered
08 FJR13AX
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, I think it DID.
I got a little tube of it for about ten bucks off Ebay, siphoned most of the gas out, pulled the fuel pump, cleaned the snot out of all surfaces... and smeared the Loctite 518 on the tank bottom and a little on the gasket.

Seemed to have worked! I had the bike out for a couple hundred miles today... and everything's dry!
Thanks! That's a good hurdle jumped

1 - 20 of 46 Posts