FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm jumping into this awesome FJR owners forum with both feet - and loving the feedback. Thank you all so far.

The bike I just bought, (an '05), sat for a couple years and the tank sure shows that. Pump too. A new pump assembly looks to be over $400. A 'rebuild kit' with the pump, filter and wiring looks to be around $65... My real issue is, upon taking the current pump assembly out of tank for Evaporust cleaning, I took apart the pump assembly to inspect/test. The 2-wire connector for the level sensor came off and two LITTLE TINY metallic tabs came out. (see pics). Now the 2 wires (black & red) don't "snap" back into their connector and therefore the connector does not make great contact with the 2 wires. Honestly, they just slide back out of the connector.

I see a used level sensor on ebay for $69 but coming from Lithuania and won't be here for weeks. If I could get 2 new connectors, and knew which way to insert them into the connector, I think I'd be back in business ...except for the likely rebuild of the pump itself.

Does anyone know where I can get these connectors? Does anyone have an old pump with a level sensor they could sell me that has this setup? Can someone ship me 2 or 3 cold Budweisers, STAT!

Thank you,

Jay

·
Registered
340 Posts
They look like mini spade connectors you could buy at the hardware store.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You're looking for the male ends to those two connectors you're holding, correct? That's what sits inside the plastic connector on the table? In any case try searching or emailing Eastern Beaver. Shipping is quicker than you'd think although it may be higher than you'd like.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,279 Posts
The two little pieces are likely the lock tabs that broke off those terminals (on the back "flat" side, so flip over that one on the right)...... you can get new terminals but we have identify that white connector... likely Sumitomo. Pic of the end please, showing lock tab orientation. MAYBE can get from Cycle Terminal or Eastern Beaver.

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A
6 Posts
New female spade connectors would be best, however I have in a pinch
a) assembled wires into the plastic connector making sure that both the male and female sides were making a good connection . -push the broken female side in as far as it will go with needle nose pliers.
b) run some hot melt glue into the backside if the plastic connector trapping the wire so it wont pull free or vibrate out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's the pics of the connector that the fuel level sensor's 2 wires go into. These "mini spades" on the end of the red & black wire are female, and - if I were to describe them - have a "cupped" shape, and I'm 93% sure that they slide into the back of the connect, cupped side UP, so that the flat bottom slide along the bottom of the connector (there's actually a slot in the middle bottom of the connector that fits perfectly into the slot on the cupped bottom of the mini spade connector. And then, if I'm figuring this out, those 2 little tiny piece of metal - which have a hump in the middle of their length - slide into the TOP of the connector to apply pressure on the plastic inner workings of the connector and, when pressed together with the Male metal mini slide connector prongs, it helps make the connection solid. That's my 2 cents worth, says the guy who tore this all apart without knowing what he was doin!

Thank you,

Jay

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,279 Posts
You may be correct, if those curved pieces are "springs"..... In your first pic, looks like two plastic "fingers" that (should) go into a rectangular slot in the back side of the terminal (the pic you did not provide). IF so, you may be good. Sure you can clean it all up with isopropanol and hot glue it too.
Pic of Sumitomo terminal for reference, note said rectangular slot..... only in their case, no need for "springs", it's all part of the connector design..... I don't think yours is Sumitomo....

Reactions: jpilk99

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can anyone tell me how the Red & Black wires slide into the wiring connector? We've confirmed these are female mini spade connectors, and - if you will, they're shaped like 3 sides of a rectangular box; 2 sides and the bottom is the side where the side walls 'round back up. With that, I thought the "bottom" slid into the side of the connector with the ridge down the length of it.

Bottom line, no matter how I slide it in, it does not make a tight connection with the 2 male spades. I'm wondering if the female, wire, side should be rotated 90 degrees so that the "slot" running down the length of it is better oriented to 'snug' around the male spade.

Not sure if this makes sense, but, ...trying to figure it out. Thanks.

Jay

1 - 9 of 9 Posts