FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2003 FJR. The owner told me that it had sat for 12yrs. The gas that remained in the tank looked like green tea but there was absolutely no rust in the tank. I cleaned the entire fuel system and then had to replace the fuel pump because it was not working even when I hooked a direct 12volts to it. It will start but only run for a second and then dies. It will continue to do this as many times as you hit the starter but it will not stay running. When I initially turn the key to the start position I can hear the fuel pump run for about 3 to 4 sec. I even tried doing this about 10 times before hitting the start button just to build pressure and make sure fuel had pumped through the rail to all the injectors. It still would only run for a second and then die. I am at a stand still and would appreciate any help that can be offered. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
818 Posts
Hi Jim, Welcome to the horde! Be among friends!

First of all, I would ask if you checked and thoroughly cleaned out the airbox?? 12 years could mean there are many nests in that nice warn, protected place!

You need fuel, air and spark to fire.

If the airbox is clean, and the fuel is new, and the spark plugs are new, gapped and the injectors are proven flowing a spray of fuel, it will start and run.

Compression test? Did you drop some marvel mystery oil down the jugs, to lube the rings?

So many questions!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
My money would be on gunked up injectors. May be able to deliver a shot or 2, especially the larger shot during cranking but as soon as it gets to the lower fuel injection quantity of running idle, it can't deliver. Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
249 Posts
Are you sure that the fuel pump is working. It sounds as if the fuel is flowing through gravity, which is why it starts but will not run. You could check what octane fuel the bike needs as fuels have changed since 2004. We now have 10% Ethanol in ordinary unleaded and some vehicles cannot run on it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
And FJRs have recommended 87 octane since their introduction. Additionally, low octane would not cause the symptoms he is having.

Reactions: Scarab Jim

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Jim, Welcome to the horde! Be among friends!

First of all, I would ask if you checked and thoroughly cleaned out the airbox?? 12 years could mean there are many nests in that nice warn, protected place!

You need fuel, air and spark to fire.

If the airbox is clean, and the fuel is new, and the spark plugs are new, gapped and the injectors are proven flowing a spray of fuel, it will start and run.

Compression test? Did you drop some marvel mystery oil down the jugs, to lube the rings?

So many questions!!
The air box was cleaned and the filter was in good shape.

The spark plugs are good and gapped properly.

I have not been able to actually prove the injectors are flowing properly but I did clean them. I even ordered another set off of Ebay that came off of a running 03 FJR and the outcome was the same.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My money would be on gunked up injectors. May be able to deliver a shot or 2, especially the larger shot during cranking but as soon as it gets to the lower fuel injection quantity of running idle, it can't deliver. Best of luck!

This is what I was thinking too. I ordered another set off Ebay that came from a running 03 FJR and the outcome was the same. Both sets appear to be good. I went into the test mode of the bike and did the injector test and all of them clicked 5 times like the test asks for.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you sure that the fuel pump is working. It sounds as if the fuel is flowing through gravity, which is why it starts but will not run. You could check what octane fuel the bike needs as fuels have changed since 2004. We now have 10% Ethanol in ordinary unleaded and some vehicles cannot run on it.
The fuel pump is brand new and working properly.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,057 Posts
Is there a fuel pressure regulator on the rail that could be gunked up? (Any way to verify fuel pressure at the rail?)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is there a fuel pressure regulator on the rail that could be gunked up? (Any way to verify fuel pressure at the rail?)
The rail is basically an aluminum tube that goes directly to each injector. It was remarkably clean when I initially took everything apart. I have no way of checking fuel pressure at the rail that I`m aware of. There are no access holes that I could tap into.

·
Registered
FJR1300A 2008
1,814 Posts
Scarab Jim,

I would drain some of the new fuel from the tank into a gas can, mix in half a pint of fuel injector cleaner, and dump that mix back (with enthusiasm) into the tank. Try to start the bike a few times, then give the fuel injector cleaner a day or two to do it's magic. Then try starting again. When you get these brief starts, after a few tries, check by hand (carefully) to see if any of the exhaust header pipes are warm or cold. One or more injectors may not work, but some may work. A couple of warming pipes would be a good sign, there. You can encourage starting with a spray can of ether (AKA "starting fluid"). Go easy with that stuff, as it can wash the oil from the cylinder walls and cause damage to the engine, if you overdo it. You only need to spray a little ether into the air filter inlet; no need to dis-assemble anything. Do NOT try to run the engine on a constant stream of ether (which is possible, but very unwise).

The FJR is designed to run on 87 octane, and even 85 octane. I doubt you can find gasoline with any lower octane. You do not need premium gasoline, but I'd recommend using the top-tier gasoline brands rather than the no-name bargain stuff. Top-tier gasoline has additives which can help an engine.

You can find ethanol-free gasoline in most of the USA. Sometimes, it may be at unexpected places, such as a pump at boat or ATV shops. One refinery here has public gas pumps (who knew?) with credit-card only self-serve. Click the link, find your state, and COPY and PASTE the list for your area:
www.pure-gas.org

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Scarab Jim,

I would drain some of the new fuel from the tank into a gas can, mix in half a pint of fuel injector cleaner, and dump that mix back (with enthusiasm) into the tank. Try to start the bike a few times, then give the fuel injector cleaner a day or two to do it's magic. Then try starting again. When you get these brief starts, after a few tries, check by hand (carefully) to see if any of the exhaust header pipes are warm or cold. One or more injectors may not work, but some may work. A couple of warming pipes would be a good sign, there. You can encourage starting with a spray can of ether (AKA "starting fluid"). Go easy with that stuff, as it can wash the oil from the cylinder walls and cause damage to the engine, if you overdo it. You only need to spray a little ether into the air filter inlet; no need to dis-assemble anything. Do NOT try to run the engine on a constant stream of ether (which is possible, but very unwise).

The FJR is designed to run on 87 octane, and even 85 octane. I doubt you can find gasoline with any lower octane. You do not need premium gasoline, but I'd recommend using the top-tier gasoline brands rather than the no-name bargain stuff. Top-tier gasoline has additives which can help an engine.

You can find ethanol-free gasoline in most of the USA. Sometimes, it may be at unexpected places, such as a pump at boat or ATV shops. One refinery here has public gas pumps (who knew?) with credit-card only self-serve. Click the link, find your state, and COPY and PASTE the list for your area:
www.pure-gas.org
I previously soaked my injectors in injector cleaner for a few days and nights. I then soaked them in gas for another 24hrs. to clean the injector cleaner from them. I`m not sure what you are suggesting would be any different. I had the bike in test mode several times to check each injector and they all clicked 5 times as they should. I went through the cycle multiple times as it recommends to make sure they click all 5 times each test. I was hoping someone on this site would have run into this problem before and knew the solution but no luck yet. Thanks for all the insight Red.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,165 Posts
Did you cycle the fuel pump relay also while in DiAG? Does this make the fuel pump run (I don't think it will if kill switch is in OFF).
Sounds like the fuel pump is doing the normal 2 second self-test cycle when ignition is on, enough perhaps to build pressure in the fuel rail, it runs for a couple of seconds but the fuel pump may not be running after that.... so wondering about the function test of the fuel pump relay.
Faulty FI fuse?
Note on Gen1 there is a fuel injection system relay... not sure where it is, but perhaps it is not working.... feeds fuel pump power I believe.

Pressure regulator is I believe on right end of fuel rail with a return line on Gen1. Perhaps hook up a separate hose into a fuel container and see if fuel pump running after you start it??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you cycle the fuel pump relay also while in DiAG? Does this make the fuel pump run (I don't think it will if kill switch is in OFF).
Sounds like the fuel pump is doing the normal 2 second self-test cycle when ignition is on, enough perhaps to build pressure in the fuel rail, it runs for a couple of seconds but the fuel pump may not be running after that.... so wondering about the function test of the fuel pump relay.
Faulty FI fuse?
Note on Gen1 there is a fuel injection system relay... not sure where it is, but perhaps it is not working.... feeds fuel pump power I believe.

Pressure regulator is I believe on right end of fuel rail with a return line on Gen1. Perhaps hook up a separate hose into a fuel container and see if fuel pump running after you start it??
This idea backs up what my theory has been. I knew there was a fuel relay in the system but I have not looked into how to check it in diagnostic mode. Logically if it makes the fuel pump run initially why would it not work after the bike is running? This is the only reason I did not pursue this but I will definitely look into this next. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This idea backs up what my theory has been. I knew there was a fuel relay in the system but I have not looked into how to check it in diagnostic mode. Logically if it makes the fuel pump run initially why would it not work after the bike is running? This is the only reason I did not pursue this but I will definitely look into this next. Thanks for your input!
I just finished the diagnostic test for the fuel pump relay and it clicked 5 times like it should. I do not know if the fuel pump was supposed to run during this test or not but it did not run while the kill switch was turned on to activate the test. I also went to diag 62 which gives error codes. I had 2. They were 12 and 30. I will have to see what I can find on the internet to know what these mean.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I`m wondering if the bike sitting for 12yrs. made it lose crank position and why would it start and run for a second then stop? Seems if it had a bad sensor it would not run at all.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,057 Posts
Seems like the engine has to spin to get a cps signal.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts