FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a very new owner can anyone tell me how much fuel is left when the last block starts to flash. There's nothing in the handbook. I know a third odometer is supposed to kick in when there's 5 litres left but until I actually see it happen I shan't believe it! Also, coming on this site has dispelled the American biking myth. We're led to believe over here that everyone rides Harleys in the US and anyone seen on anything else is brutally murdered (OK. I exaggerate!)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
The volume left seems to vary from bike to bike, but I've done over 30 miles with the last block flashing and when filled it would only take 24litres if you tried really hard. That would make it around the 4 litres mark my bike goes on to "reserve".

The third counter starts at the same time as the block starts flashing, so if they say 5 litres in the tank thats close enough for me.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Hi Russel, and welcome. My suggestion is that you use the bottom odometer for your fuel mileage, as this is the one which zero's when your fuel is low. You can always revert to your actual distance travelled by pushing reset, and it overides the 'zero effect'.

I use the top to record my trip distance (reset it at the beginning of each ride), and the bottom for 'fuel distance' (reset it each time I fill up). Most I have done is 40k's when it starts flashing, but others have done quite a bit more.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Not sure how much is left but if its flashing I'm filling up at the next services!! Heavy bike to push.
I have had 20 miles on flashing though; was really sweating by the time I found an open garage to fill up.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Tony said:
Not sure how much is left but if its flashing I'm filling up at the next services!! Heavy bike to push.
I have had 20 miles on flashing though; was really sweating by the time I found an open garage to fill up.
Think the most i have done is 39 miles and it took a little over 5 gallons to fill it up. Sweating it!!

·
Registered
177 Posts
The flashing thingy has always proved itself to be accurate on mine, starts with 5 litres left, If I topped up immediately it took 20 litres to the brim, proving that there was a full 5 litres left, which in my book should be good for at least 40 odd miles if you were good. Not that I ever pushed it that far. I hate sweating with the rest of you :mrgreen:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for that. So I should get the 20 miles to Boston on Saturday OK, where the petrol's cheaper! (You'll all be hearing from me if I don't)

·
Registered
141 Posts
absolutely

and don't forget that if you have any problems whatsoever, don't hesitate to deal with them yourself. :wink:

·
Registered
721 Posts
russell arthritic said:
Thanks all for that. So I should get the 20 miles to Boston on Saturday OK, where the petrol's cheaper! (You'll all be hearing from me if I don't)
How much cheaper is this petrol then? Must be very cheap to justify using 40 miles worth to fill up, which you won't be full that is by the time you get back. :roll:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ho ho! Actually (as I'm sure you realise) I've got to go there anyway. With a high of 3C forecast, it should be a bracing run. Unless of course you've all been telling me porkies and I run out of fuel after another 15 miles and I have to push it for 5 miles. Alright - have to wait , embarrased, for the RAC. Actually I think I'll fill up before I leave!

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
russell arthritic said:
this site has dispelled the American biking myth. We're led to believe over here that everyone rides Harleys in the US and anyone seen on anything else is brutally murdered (OK. I exaggerate!)
Boy, you do exaggerate! The murders are usually quick and painless with the foreign bike burned only after its owner has perished.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had it flashing and put 33 miles before refueling. The gas station I thought was 20 miles farther than I expected. Filled it with 6.33 gallons of gas indicating I had .27 gallons left.

TOO close. Stupid too close actually. Won't repeat that one again.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Of course, remembering that a US Gallon is 0.83267....of our UK gallons, so bear this in mind when comparing figures Etc. best to work in litres.
Not like us to have something bigger than our cousins across the pond :mrgreen:

·
Registered
127 Posts
malki said:
Of course, remembering that a US Gallon is 0.83267....of our UK gallons, so bear this in mind when comparing figures Etc. best to work in litres.
Don't know where all those gallons went, the tank capacity is 5.7 gallons isn't it? havent confirmed that so I may be wrong

·
Registered
949 Posts
There is always some imprecision with fuel guage behaviour between bikes but generally the capacities and the level of the fuel pickup don't change. A little basic maths on a refill at the start of the last bar / res indicator and after a few repeats you will be confident in the beast's consistent behaviour. The trip meter at full refill is always useful.

Cheers
Lenz

·
Registered
50 Posts
tripletango said:
malki said:
Don't know where all those gallons went, the tank capacity is 5.7 gallons isn't it? havent confirmed that so I may be wrong
The tank capacity is 6.6 US gallons.

·
Registered
47 Posts
russell arthritic said:
As a very new owner can anyone tell me how much fuel is left when the last block starts to flash. There's nothing in the handbook. I know a third odometer is supposed to kick in when there's 5 litres left but until I actually see it happen I shan't believe it! Also, coming on this site has dispelled the American biking myth. We're led to believe over here that everyone rides Harleys in the US and anyone seen on anything else is brutally murdered (OK. I exaggerate!)
Don't be bringin that commie bike here Limey-I've got a Bic and I ain't afraid to use it!

Oh, and don't push it and get to the point to where the flash begins. Run out, and the fuel pump is on it's way to a quick and cruel death. And it isn't cheap.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts