FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI ALL
Can any body tell me where the fuel filter is hidden on the 03? And how to clean it or replace it? Is worth putting an in line fuel filter in ?

Thanks
Silver :oops: :ale:

·
Registered
234 Posts
There isn't a real fuel filter to be found. There is a screen in the fuel pump. Thats the closest thing to a fuel filter.

I´ve replaced my four year old fuel pump last summer (bad sending unit). The fuel "screen" was clean and good looking. The inside of the tank was also free of dirt and rust.

Haven´t heard of anybody that would have installed a real fuel filter between the pump and fuel rail.

Finnfjr

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Finnfjr
Mind did a throttle sensor position switch a couple of weeks ago & when the mechanic was looking for the fault he checked the fuel tank & filter & found a lot crap around the filter & in the tank. And thats why I thuoght I might try & put an in line filter in.
Cheers Mate :ale:
Silver

·
Registered
234 Posts
Kind of interesting topic about the non existent fuel filter. I have often wondered about this. If all the cars, trucks ... have fuel filters, then why not FJR's? Would be nice to hear a Yamaha engineer give an explination to this odd fact. No problems regarding this so far but curios minds wonder?!?!

Finnfjr

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks like you & I are the only ones interested in this topic Finnfjr, so I don't like our chances of getting a Yamaha engineer :D
Silver

·
Registered
113 Posts
there was a thread on here about rust in the gas tank, nice to here someone say after four years his tank was clean. If it works, don't fix it. ride safe 8)

·
Registered
45 Posts
fuel filter

Hi HO Silver !!!,,..yes Dear, there is a fuel filter in the tank , but don't worry about it, it gets "cleaned" every time you turn on the ignition key.....back in 2002 when Yamaha was trying to sell us all on the idea of buying a bike 9 months before you could actually ride it; one of the pieces of propaganda they were spewing out was this new bike had a self cleaning fuel filter.. the fuel pump in the tank runs backwards a few seconds whenever the ignition switch is turned to the On position...this flushes out any crap that might be stuck against the intake screen.... There is no replaceable standard type fuel filter in the fjr...to test this theory, take a flashlight, take 2 keys, use one to open the gas cap, and the other key to turn the ignition on [ no need to crank the motor] while shining the light down the filler hole. ...Watch and LISTEN.. you can hear the fuel pump running and see the fuel swirling around..... this only happens for a few seconds once the key is turned,,, if you only have one key, open the cap, the take your first two fingers on the locking ring and your thumb on the top of the cap and squeese the locking ring towards the top of the cap,,, you will see the key turn by itself to the unlock positon, so you can now take it out and use in the ignition to see this 8th wonder of the modern world!!!!

I am still looking for the 'self cancelling" turn signals

anybody know where Yamaha put them?

·
Registered
234 Posts
silver said:
It looks like you & I are the only ones interested in this topic Finnfjr, so I don't like our chances of getting a Yamaha engineer :D
Silver
Yeah, we don´t have any lightly dressed women involved in this filter busines. Hence the lack of genreral interest.

Jupiter gave some new info about the pump. I didn't know this back and forth thing. Even though the same sludge is pumped "out" every time when started, it will still remain where it is => in the tank. I kind of like the filter idea in any circumstance. Yep, I'm an old school guy that thinks that vinyls really have better dynamics than CD's. :mrgreen:

Lets kill this topic and create another that has elements of high speed, danger and pretty women.

Finnfjr

1 - 8 of 8 Posts