FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like my front wheel bearings have had it have done 43,000 miles and they just went ,which let to lots of vibration from front wheel which in turn pushed brake pistons back in so when going to apply front brake i had no pressure .
have to pump front brake before using
bike now off road whilst i contact dealer on Mon to get it fixed

Anyone have this prob before and if so what kind of price/damage to my wallet can i expect ?

Thanks Niel

·
Registered
164 Posts
Bagman had the same problem
he is on the xmas drinking weekend at the mo but should post on this when he gets back.
His went on route to one of the fjr meets

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Daftlad did his fronts as well, at home.

Woody did his rears.

Can't get the link to work properly, so do a search on the old site.

search for "rear wheel bearing type" - look in subject lines. This thread gives info on fronts and rears.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have just had my front bearings replaced but was under warranty so cant tell you about cost.
Took me a while to figure out what was wrong with mine because I only got any real vibration when over 75 before that wasnt realy anything to feel , but when my front tyre was changed I was able to spin the wheel and there was a slight click. This was after only 11000 miles .

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
niel said:
Looks like my front wheel bearings have had it have done 43,000 miles and they just went ,which let to lots of vibration from front wheel which in turn pushed brake pistons back in so when going to apply front brake i had no pressure .
have to pump front brake before using
bike now off road whilst i contact dealer on Mon to get it fixed

Anyone have this prob before and if so what kind of price/damage to my wallet can i expect ?

Thanks Niel
Don't worry to much the bearings are quite cheap for the front but you will have to replace the seals as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Certainly hope its cheapish have had an expensive year with bike New radiator £250,rear calliper £250 ,Linkages £200 and now this lol

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
The front bearings and seals are all standard sizes, so if you were going to fit them yourself it's probably cheaper to buy them from a bearing stockists than from Yamaha. Suspect woody will know the sizes and code numbers, or they were in one of the threads on the old site. Waldy (from Fiveways Belts and Bearings) also knows the sizes

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
front wheel bearings

Thats the bearings replaced was only £45 of which £28 was labour

so not as expensive as i thought Phew :lol:

·
Registered
599 Posts
Front wheel bearings - early failure.

Hi guys. Saw this topic late, as I don't visit new site as often as old site. I used to get e-mails, so knew when interesting topics were on the board.
My 2001 Aussie spec beast had a front bearing "collapse" last summer after about 22,000 kms. I had had a slight clunk from the front, but no warning of the impending collapse (on the Great Ocean Road in Apollo Bay, Victoria, 75 twisty kms from civilisation). I limped home in third gear, with NO front brake - interesting experience ! I still have the fully shagged bearing, got both replaced by Peter Stevens in Geelong for about $120 (great service, & done whilst I waited). Not under warrenty, but I was pissed at the Melbourne dealer who'd I'd bought the bike from brand new, as I had mentioned my concerns to them 1,000kms previously when they had changed the coolant for me. "They" reckoned the front fender was clunking, so added some spacers to it & test rode it. Interesting that their Melbourne premises closed earlier this year......!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
marshman said:
The front bearings and seals are all standard sizes, so if you were going to fit them yourself it's probably cheaper to buy them from a bearing stockists than from Yamaha. Suspect woody will know the sizes and code numbers, or they were in one of the threads on the old site. Waldy (from Fiveways Belts and Bearings) also knows the sizes
Definitely what marshman said. I bought rear bearings for the last bike (ZZR) I think they were $14 ea from the local reputable CBC bearing guy.. Same part from Kwaka San was over $50.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts