FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 FJR1300 A
5 Posts
Lots of different opinions on tyre pressures to reduce cupping on front tyre. 90% of FJR1300 rides run higher tyre pressures to reduce the cupping - 40 to 44 PSI. I personally run 42 front and 44 rear with the result of longer life and less cupping on my tyres. Didn't mention what type of tyre because that is another big opinion topic.

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
It's because you are running 36 PSI. Bump it up to 40-ish.

What brand tire?

Search button will give you years of tire debates. Try it.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Another vote for 39-42psi, plus I’ll add that if you have loose head bearings that allow a mild wobble in the front that will contribute. My 14 has a Michelin PR4 on the front that the dealership installed as a cure for the wobble on my bike (tapered head bearings was the fix) and that PR4 now has around 14k on it with a fair amount of tread left on it, probably 1-2k of safe tread left on it.

If you run your hand over the tread you can feel some minor cupping but not really visible, I do believe that some minor cupping is inherent to motorcycling. Add some pressure and you’ll also get better, more neutral handling.

A wise man here told me when I first got my 14 and had complained about the piggish handling that if you have to wrestle it to get it to turn ( standing up) add a little psi until it is just neutral and if it wants to fall into a turn reduce the pressure a little. A little at a time ! Like I said my14 with the Michelin pr4 likes between 39 & 42psi to be neutral.

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300R / 2007 Husq SMR 510
873 Posts
Another vote for 39-42psi, plus I’ll add that if you have loose head bearings that allow a mild wobble in the front that will contribute. My 14 has a Michelin PR4 on the front that the dealership installed as a cure for the wobble on my bike (tapered head bearings was the fix) and that PR4 now has around 14k on it with a fair amount of tread left on it, probably 1-2k of safe tread left on it.

If you run your hand over the tread you can feel some minor cupping but not really visible, I do believe that some minor cupping is inherent to motorcycling. Add some pressure and you’ll also get better, more neutral handling.

A wise man here told me when I first got my 14 and had complained about the piggish handling that if you have to wrestle it to get it to turn ( standing up) add a little psi until it is just neutral and if it wants to fall into a turn reduce the pressure a little. A little at a time ! Like I said my14 with the Michelin pr4 likes between 39 & 42psi to be neutral.
14k on a front tire?!?!? With tread left?!?!?!? What are you riding this bike on, clouds?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have 140,000 miles on FJRs. I can't recall a tire on the FJR that didn't cup regardless of air pressure. Some are worse than others. It is a heavy bike with more weight on the front tire than the rear. Just the way it is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts