FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had a problem with the rear mounts of the front guard brakeing off. The mudguard driveing itself into the tyre at the front side of the forks, pivioting on the front mount bolts, being pushed down by wind so hard that it melted the guard.
This causeing the front wheel to act as if braking bigtime. ?

Not sure what caused it.

From 100klm/Hr to a stop realy quick.
________
BUY GLASS BONG

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Never heard of that happening before. Do you have a fender extender or mud flap on the front guard. I once had a mud flap on the front guard of a FJ1200, and the wind pressure broke the whole back of the guard off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is the second time that this has happened, bike has done 28000 k's and it happened about 12 months 14000 K's ago.
Its all standard up front neat and tidy,
If it happens to you , hang on it gets a bit wild for a few seconds until you stop.
Its like haveing someone else pull the front brake on hard when ever they feel like it.
Have some pictures of the damage , wil try to post.
________
Yamaha Rd400

·
Registered
60 Posts
Front Guard

Ethin
Have you considered making up a saftey bracket ? Untill you get to the bottom of what is the root cause of these failures. Maybe Just bend a horse shoe shaped strip of metal to fit on the inside of the front guard using the rear mounts to secure it in place. It should stop the gaurd coming in to contact with the tyre in the event of another failure and you should be able to monitor the cracks developing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
front mud guard

This is where it broke at the rear anchor points

I will make my photos smaller next time.
If you have your front wheel off for any reason ,It might be a good idea to check your rear bolts and guard for cracks
Maybe it was cracked for awhile
Rabbit 1300 thanks for the tip on the photos, still alot to learn
A polished stainless steel bracket over the rear of the guard will do wounders for my confidence in the new one $250

[/img]
________
JUGGALO

1 - 12 of 12 Posts