FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought Lee Parks Total control book. I been adjusting front fork preload. Tried turning one side down to ring indentation 5. It was really tight! The other side is really easy! Iam wondering if dealer crossthreaded the preload adjuster after replacing my leaking fork seals 2 years ago. I did get a sliver of metal comeing out around threads. I HOPE dealer can replace adjuster without total fork tube disassembly. I USE a 17mm wrench to adjust up and down on adjuster! Answers welcome!

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,281 Posts
I'd suggest support the bike under the headers, then loosen the upper pinch bolt on the offending fork. With a 24mm wrench, loosen and remove that fork cap. Once out, it should pop up a bit due to spring preload..... if it didn't pop high enough, lower the jack under your headers.... With a 14mm wrench on the cartridge nut and a 17mm on the preload adjuster, loosen the 14mm nut and unscrew the fork cap off the cartridge.

With the fork cap on the bench, try to find out why that preload adjuster is binding..... shouldn't be. If it can't be fixed, you need a new fork cap assembly. Dealer should not have had the preload adjuster out of the fork cap, thus should not be cross-threaded.

To reassemble, wind the 14mm nut down on the cartridge until bottomed on the threads, with preload adjuster at least flush or overflush to the fork cap, screw it back on the cartridge tube until seated. Now bring the 14mm nut up against it and tighten it while holding the preload adjuster with your 17mm. Basically like the service manual says.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts