FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last week or 10 days I've noticed a slight snapping noise that seems to be coming from the front end under semi hard braking. At first I thought maybe one of the brake calipers was shifting slightly, but checking the bolts turned up nothing. I thought maybe the Super Brace had loosened up but checking the bolts found it to be secure. But what I did find while checking the Super Brace was what appears to be a crack in the right cast aluminum strut housing. It seems to start about 1/4" below the bottom edge of the Super Brace and continues downward about 2-1/2". At first I thought it might be just road grime but it didn't rub off and running my fingernail across it confirmed that it was a crack. There is no fork oil coming from it at this point. I've marked the lower point of the crack with a grease pencil to see if it grows like a cracked windshield might.

Anybody heard of this before? If it is a crack and it goes all the way through the wall of the strut, should oil be coming out? Could the installation of the Super Brace have any connection?

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Anything bolted in-between the forks as an after market part will never be a perfect fit as generally they are un-adjustable.
Then it put could put side load on to the fork sliders and the fatigue will eventually make them crack and the fork slider bushes wear unevenly.

Most of this kind of accessory relies on the forks being perfectly balanced but in real life they generally aren’t, so one will move before the other, twist and side load will happen.

Take it off as soon as possible because if the crack goes below the upper seal it’ll be expensive.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sharkey,
How long have you had the super-brace on the forks? I ask as I am interested in buying one after all the positive feedback I read here at the forum.
Anyone else experience a similar problem?
Is the increased rigidity of the forks a worthwhile trade-off for possible cracking of same?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh how embarassing!

On further investigation and a better set of eyes, it appears that "crack" is nothing more than a fairly deep scratch in the surface coating of the fork. Not sure how it got there as the bike has never been down, but possibly something kicked up from the road. In any event, I'm pretty sure the fork is not the source of the noise. But I'll keep looking.

@ swannie007 I've had the Super Brace on for well over a year. I was part of the first group buy on this site. Honestly, I can't say that I can tell any significant difference in the handling since I installed it. But then I wouldn't consider myself as a rider that routinely test the limits of this bike so I might not be aware of the subtilties. My limits are undoubtably far short of the bikes. So, though the fit and finish are first rate and I certainly don't think it's caused any harm, hindsight being 20/20, I wouldn't buy another one for myself.

Sorry to have raised an alarm flag needlessly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
On further investigation and a better set of eyes, it appears that "crack" is nothing more than a fairly deep scratch in the surface coating of the fork. Not sure how it got there as the bike has never been down, but possibly something kicked up from the road. In any event, I'm pretty sure the fork is not the source of the noise. But I'll keep looking.
I'm glad you said that since I almost went out and ripped mine off.

So, to everyone else out there with a superbrace, besides the brace dinging the banjo bolt on ABS models, has anyone else seen any undesireable effects of the superbrace?

Is there any reason why I need to remove mine from my 03?...Cause I like it.

Feels like I can "Carve" more. :D

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Sharkey,

Its probably worth having a close look at the front wheel bearings,

before mine failed at 29k on my 2001 there was the occational click under medium braking that sounded like forks.

·
Premium Member
FJR1300 A, TMax 530 DX, Tracer GT900, XS850
280 Posts
I had a similar noise under hard braking and over some speed bumps. Adjusted the steering head bearings and now no noise. My bike had 7K miles on it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Bagman, bermshot, fjrlee

Thanks for the advise I'll check them both. I did take the weight off the front end and gave a wiggle (the bike, not me) without feeling any looseness in either the head or wheel bearings but a closer inspection is definately warranted.

·
Registered
599 Posts
@ Sharkey.

I concure that front wheel bearings are the likely culprit. Mine failed at 22,000kms on a bike that has seen limited wet riding, & rarely undergoes hard braking. The noise started like a clicking, & I could feel no slop in the usual front wheel rocking procedure. The dealership didn't pick it either, & then 600km later the wheel bearing on one side collapsed - it was an interesting 100km ride to the nearest dealer !! Cheap fix but get them done before total failure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts