FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... on my annual spring trip a couple of weeks ago ( I'll post about that soon, I know everyone likes stories and pics) I developed the dreaded steering wobble when decelerating at about 40 MPH. At one point I hit CC at about 35 MPH and the bars would wobble with hands off. I know, I know, why take your hands off the bars. I was reaching for my hydration tube which popped off the clip on my collar. I also felt that the bike could have been smoother on the highway at 80-90. The vibes didn't feel motor related to me, more of a chasis thing.

So I'm doing a complete front end service...

1) Front wheel was out of balance by about 15 grams. Might be the whole problem right there.
2) Replaced wheel bearings.
3) Replacing the steering head bearings with tapered. Toughest part is seating the race on the underside. Going to use the threaded rod and nut method.
4) Flushed forks and replaced with 7 weight fluid. (geez the old fluid was black and gross after 15K miles).
5) Money for stiffer springs (I weigh about 250 geared up) wasn't in the play budget so I added about 3/4 inch stack of washers on top of the springs and under the cap to stiffen them up a bit. This trick worked well on my ST1300, allowed it to hold a line much better and not wander on the highway.

It all might be over kill but I bought the bike used and now at least I know where I stand as far as front end servicing.

Anything else I can/should do while it's all apart?

Oh I should add the front tire is an Angel GT2 A-spec. About 4.5K miles on it but still looks good. No cupping or feathering that I can feel.

Reactions: skippy344!

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
1,053 Posts
I like that you are doing all of that, as you stated, it was used, and now you have a good baseline!

And you "should" be able take your hands off the handle bars and not have your fillings shaken out of your head!! Your grip on the bars should NOT be the only thing keeping the wobble from happening!!

Also, just make sure the calipers are not seizing against the rotors. That was the source of wobble on my XS11. One caliper would not release and at speed, the wobble was intense!

Reactions: Whooshka

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point. Might as well clean them since they're off the rotors.

Reactions: skippy344!

·
Registered
75 Posts
…But mine was cupped, and you front desk isn’t so maybe not. I did both tires though. Kind of small money to replace one front tire. Might be worth doing to just rule it out? Best of luck!

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tire is a good possibility but the last tire I had on it was way more worn and cupped than this and there was no shimmy. I tend to wear tires evenly and like to swap them out in pairs. Far from that point yet.

·
Registered
2009 FJR 1300AE
685 Posts
So... on my annual spring trip a couple of weeks ago ( I'll post about that soon, I know everyone likes stories and pics) I developed the dreaded steering wobble when decelerating at about 40 MPH. At one point I hit CC at about 35 MPH and the bars would wobble with hands off. I know, I know, why take your hands off the bars. I was reaching for my hydration tube which popped off the clip on my collar. I also felt that the bike could have been smoother on the highway at 80-90. The vibes didn't feel motor related to me, more of a chasis thing.

So I'm doing a complete front end service...

1) Front wheel was out of balance by about 15 grams. Might be the whole problem right there.
2) Replaced wheel bearings.
3) Replacing the steering head bearings with tapered. Toughest part is seating the race on the underside. Going to use the threaded rod and nut method.
4) Flushed forks and replaced with 7 weight fluid. (geez the old fluid was black and gross after 15K miles).
5) Money for stiffer springs (I weigh about 250 geared up) wasn't in the play budget so I added about 3/4 inch stack of washers on top of the springs and under the cap to stiffen them up a bit. This trick worked well on my ST1300, allowed it to hold a line much better and not wander on the highway.

It all might be over kill but I bought the bike used and now at least I know where I stand as far as front end servicing.

Anything else I can/should do while it's all apart?

Oh I should add the front tire is an Angel GT2 A-spec. About 4.5K miles on it but still looks good. No cupping or feathering that I can feel.
I would revisit that fork Spring. Traxxion Spring is about $130.00 give or take and makes a huge difference and since you have everything apart already. The only other comment doing all that work at once if the problem is cured you won't know what actually effected the cure. Just my 2cents. :unsure:

·
Registered
877 Posts
What brand/model of tire was it? I’ve found Continental and Shinko are more wobbly than Angel Gt and PR4GT

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
10,764 Posts
I'm not sure what all you've done on the list? All of it?....... then bolt the wheel on and go ride..... is it fixed now?

Preloading the springs more is a band-aid for getting the proper springs.... it can work for a while, but you need the Traxxion kit for your weight.
Wheel bearings shouldn't have been a factor.....
Try it out again with all you've done using the same tire, properly balanced.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
while there you could replace fork seals
No sign of a fork seal leak. Didn't have to completely disassemble them to flush and replace fluid.

I would revisit that fork Spring. Traxxion Spring is about $130.00 give or take and makes a huge difference and since you have everything apart already. The only other comment doing all that work at once if the problem is cured you won't know what actually effected the cure. Just my 2cents. :unsure:
Yep springs are on the wish list. Just didn't have the play money right now as we ran into some major expenses this month. And yes I know I won't know what fixed it but time and stamina are hard to come by for me. I know pulling the forks and changing the springs isn't hard but I didn't want to take the bike apart multiple times.

What brand/model of tire was it? I’ve found Continental and Shinko are more wobbly than Angel Gt and PR4GT
Pirelli Angel GT2 A-Spec.

I'm not sure what all you've done on the list? All of it?....... then bolt the wheel on and go ride..... is it fixed now?

Preloading the springs more is a band-aid for getting the proper springs.... it can work for a while, but you need the Traxxion kit for your weight.
Wheel bearings shouldn't have been a factor.....
Try it out again with all you've done using the same tire, properly balanced.
Haven't completed everything yet. I've got about 6 hours into it over the course of 3 different days. Like I said, finding alone time in the garage has been hard to come by. We're trying to get our other house my late mother-in-law lived in, emptied and prepped for selling.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts