FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strange how coincidences like to sneak up and bite you on the bum, isn't it?

The bike went in for a 12,000 mile service, and in passing I'd asked them to look at the head bearings as there had been an occasional bit of a clonk under braking. No other symptoms whatsoever to suggest anything amiss, apart from a couple of days ago, when I was pushing the bike backwards into the garage there had been a very short squeak from the front, just like brake squeal due to dust build up. There had been no vibration, and no adverse effect on handling whether under braking or on the power to give any hint of a more serious problem.

Anyway at about 2:00 this afternoon I had a phone call from the mechanic, as he had found this.

Thats one of the front wheel bearings. The cage has almost completely broken up, and the rest of the bearing could have followed at any time.

Since the FJR came out similar occurrences have been reported from time to time on this board, not least to the Bagman en route to the Dragon 'Fest, and the bike doesn't need to have covered a huge mileage. It's been said before, but its worth repeating. If you get any clonking from the front end then check the wheel bearings, as well as looking at other possibilities.

And the coincidence? On the way into work after dropping the bike off, I'd picked up a set of front wheel bearings and seals from Waldy so that I could change them this weekend. :roll:

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
I had a front wheel lock up when a bearing failed. (not on an FJR)

Watch for runout and a growling feel.

:)

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have had a clunking sound due to the left front brake rotor having play in the large rivits which allow it to float. This sound is pronounced at slow speeds over rough roads. I replaced the rotor at ~25,000 miles. The new rotor is just as loud now at 56,000 miles. My bearings still look and feel good. I thought I'd point out another source of noise...not so dangerous as bad bearings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts