FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2001 has been laid up for winter, with Optimate connected.

On Saturday, I was a bit surprised that the battery was nearly flat, but it is 4 1/2 years old. Not enough power to fire her up. Luckily, I bought a Wesco 10 days ago in anticipation of the battery giving up this year.

However, she only half fired up, coughed, spluttered and died. It didn't take long to flatten the battery. As the Wesco had been stood for 10 days, I put it on the Optimate.

In between time, I proceeded with a flooded engine - took out the plugs (wet) dried and cleaned them, checked for spark which was ok.
The spark plugs were changed 6000 miles ago. Disconnected the injector plugs, turned the engine over to clear any fuel.

Tried again a couple of hours later - it ran for a couple of seconds (roughly) then died again. Flattened the battery trying to start it. Did the flooded engine procedure again, battery back on charge.

Emptied the tank and changed the fuel.

Sunday - same type of thing again, if it did run, only for a couple of seconds but roughly. Sometimes managed to make it cough and splutter trying to start her, but nothing significant.

Problem is, draining the battery trying to start her and having to re-charge over a period of hours - frustrating at the very least.

So, checked other things in-between time:

all fuses (esp ignition)
all connectors in general (but they are a bit difficult to split them and check for corrosion), the bike has not been wet much in the last year or so.
battery connections (again)
the diag mode - nothing showed up except history 2 and 15, that was because I disconnected the TPS in mistake for the fuel pump. otherwise everything ok and as it should be as per the manual. (reset the diag and checked again after another starting attempt - all clear)
No error codes showed up in the making of the thread.

After an overnight rest with plugs out and battery on charge, tried again this morning - same again, managed to run for a second or two and a cough/splutter later but nothing significant. Held the throttle open to try and clear any flooding, managed a cough or two but that's it.

The only thing that came up on the lcd was Err 1 (only on Sunday and today) - which is no signal from the ECU (but not every attempt - only near the end of the battery flattening episode. This, I think, may be due to the battery flattening and losing electrical power to the system whilst cranking. Checked the ECU connection plug and that appears ok.

I'm now back on charge and trying the only other thing that I can think of is the PCIII malfunctioning (but I have a feeling it is not, maybe, don't know, could be, who knows). So I have re-connected the 02 sensor and dis-connected the PCIII ready for the next attempt.

I have a Datatool Duo immobiliser - if this had a problem I assume there would be no spark? - or no attempt at firing?. I can't see how I can dis-connect this to eliminate it.....

Assuming the PCIII is not involved, I am at a loss. I don't have fancy meters or anything to check circuits, or know how to use them.

The bike has always started hot or cold, since it was new - never a problem.

Has anyone got any further ideas or procedures that I can try?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update -

The bunny is off and running

I guess 'twas the PCIII - fired up straight away after the battery had re-charged.

That's a new PCIII please Mr. Dynojet.....

I find it strange that she wouldn't even fire up though - I would have expected her to run but (say) very roughly, popping, farting etc.

Oh well, we live and learn, just goes to show process of elimination does work with diagnosing a problem.

I suppose I could re-connect the PCIII and make absolutely sure - but I don't think I'll bother.........

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Glad to see you seem to have found the problem. There have been a number of PCIIIs shooting craps, but I've not had any problems with them on my FJRs or the R1. I wonder what percentage have failed.

Small consolation that it's easy to un-install and re-install, eh?

:)

·
Registered
192 Posts
bunny won't run

Always, always make sure you have a good ground connection. I had a problem with mine just quiting and I had it grounded through the frame. When they say ground it tothe battery- they mean it.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments

Yup, grounded to battery in the first place.

Was running fine when she went into hibernation.

Although I changed the battery and lost power to the PCIII, it shouldn't or won't make a blind bit of difference (i.e. messing up the map). After all, it was programmed on my PC with a 9v battery in the first place, then installed. The battery has been dis-connected since then, installing a powerlet outlet last summer.

Will see what Mr. Dynojet has to say - wouldn't like failure out on the open road somewhere.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Rabbit1300 How old is your PCIII? :( I just installed one glad I took the advice given me and left the O2 sensor in and just disconected it.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I suppose so woody - maybe depends what Dynojet have to say.

Problem is I don't have a lap top, and would have to strip it out, re-program on my desk and fit it back again.

It could be said I would have to strip it out anyway - maybe I could try it and only loosely fit it to give it a go.

I'll maybe have a go this weekend.......

·
Registered
47 Posts
Rabbit1300 said:
Thanks for the comments

Yup, grounded to battery in the first place.

Was running fine when she went into hibernation.

Although I changed the battery and lost power to the PCIII, it shouldn't or won't make a blind bit of difference (i.e. messing up the map). After all, it was programmed on my PC with a 9v battery in the first place, then installed. The battery has been dis-connected since then, installing a powerlet outlet last summer.

Will see what Mr. Dynojet has to say - wouldn't like failure out on the open road somewhere.
No, it shouldn't. But it can, and has. This would be, if this is the case, the third PCIII I have seen with these symptoms after a battery failure/disconnect/low volt problem, both of which were repaired by a reset and a map reload along with throttle zeroing. Do as you will, good luck.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
It IS a pain having a PCIII with no laptop.

They oughta just include a laptop with the purchase price of a PCIII. :mrgreen:

On the other hand, the Dynojet software is VERY small and easy to load and unload from a laptop... so if you have a friend with one, you can borrow it, load the software in moments, use it, then uninstall the software and hand the machine back to your friend. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update again:

Managed to borrow a laptop and check out the PCIII.

There was no error code showing, which I was expecting.

So, did the reset anyway(saving the map first) and also set the throttle position whilst I was at it. Funny though, the map didn't wipe off at first, so did it again and reloaded the map.

Took her for a run yesterday with very hard acceleration and she was dying on me at 5500 revs or so, kangarooing. Then it rained.

Figured that may have been down to low fuel and put some more in, test run again today. No problems now despite many hard acceleration runs up and down a quiet back road.

So, all's well that ends well and my sincere thanks for your suggestions above. I just hope that the reset was indeed the actual problem and it won't let me down again.

Hope others can learn from this.

Dynojet have yet to respond to my e-mail..........

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Rabbit1300 said:
Dynojet have yet to respond to my e-mail..........
Sorry to hear that. I've always found them to be very responsive here in USA. Hope it's all figured out soon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts