FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems I find some differences in the reported as to when the rear drive lube should be changed. The Yamaha Factory schedule says 12,000 miles. other sources say 5,000 miles (along with the oil & Filter). At $30 a pint, the more time I can get out this stuff the better. Any comments??

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I looked at it as the more miles I can get out of the pumpkin the better, so the oil was changed at every service. So far it's got something like 110,000 miles on it and counting.

·
Registered
141 Posts
marshman said:
I looked at it as the more miles I can get out of the pumpkin the better, so the oil was changed at every service. So far it's got something like 110,000 miles on it and counting.
How true - we spend so much on shiny bits for the bike to not spend a few extra quid to keep the 'guts' sweet seems false economy IMHO. and as its only a couple hundred mls at a time it isn't really that expensive - is it?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Well, the European schedule states every 6000 miles, however I change mine every 3000 along with the engine oil and filter.

But that is personal choice - oil is the life-blood of the engine and final drive.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine gets changed every 5,000 miles...only use the Yamaha OEM lube (though at $30 a pint I WOULD REALLY like to know what is in it. Figure if for no other reason I'll do that in case of a warranty issue.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Been changing mine at 6000 mile intervals. I've got the 5 year YES warranty and my wife calls me a "Serial Motorcycle Purchaser" so I'll probably replace the bike before the warranty is out. I do use the outrageously expensive Yamaha oil with each change. Even at $30.00 a bottle, it's relatively cheap in the overall scheme of things. I figure it's cheap insurance to make sure that Yamaha honors the YES just in case I do have a problem.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
The Yamaha rear drive oil has a special anti-frothing agent in it. $30 a pint may be a lot, but you should get 3 oil changes out of a pint, so it's really only $10 per service.

And if you think $30 a pint is a lot, wait until you have to buy a new pumpkin. :shock:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I use the Mobil1 every other oil change, after initially changing it every oil change for the first few thou. It holds very little, a bottle will last about 4 changes, and it's just common sense that the diff will last forever with this schedule.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What pray tell might this be??

Had a recent opportunity to service a differential on another bike. Owner bought it used...knew little of it's history. The drive lube was red in color; similar to ATF fluid. Any idea what it may have been? (I.E. is there a popular drive lube out there that has a distinctively red color?) :?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Might have been Redline ShockProof. I used this in my Guzzi and it was the absolute best lube for the rear end. Something like 75-200 wt. A local midget racer turned me on to it. Although I changed it periodically, it's supposed to last forever without degrading. If the fluid sort of "sticks" to or coats all the metal parts, then it's shockproof.

The car was the midget btw :oops:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just looked over the specs of this stuff on the Red Line web site. Have to admit it seems pretty impressive. Might just think about using this after the warranty runs out. :D

·
Registered
531 Posts
I use the shockproof heavy in the FJR rear drive as well. Got tipped off on the stuff from my BMW dealer after the rear drive on my K1200LTC went south. They replaced it under warrantee, but the shockproof heavy is all they use in those drives on the the LT's. Since the fully loaded 2-up weight on that bike is 1200 lbs or so, those drives are under continuous severe load. If the shockproof works in there, it will work anywhere.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.