FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, can anyone tell me how to restore a 105bhp French spec. FJR back to the way nature intended? I've been led to believe it's a simple ECU or wiring change, but information is like the proverbial rocking-horse stuff.

Cheers... P

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
There's restrictors in the Air Box Intake tubes that limit the amount of air into the motor as well.

·
Registered
164 Posts
As woody says air in take + ECU
Now all I have to do is get a French Yamaha dealer To restrict mine to the 106 bhp give me a letter to state that it has been done then I can get the bike on French plates and insurance , :x
THEN GET IT ALL PUT BACK as there is no way in hell that i am riding around with
79.7 KW at 7500 rpm as apposed to uk spec 105.5 KW at 8000 rpm
And max torque of 116.1Nm (11.8 kg-m) at 6000 rpm
as apposed to uk spec 134.4 Nm (13.7kg-m ) at 7000

If you ask Yamaha Uk about it they can not comment on it
If you ask Yamaha france they cant comment

You could hope that IanFR posts as he knows

·
Registered
372 Posts
tinwelp said:
Hi, can anyone tell me how to restore a 105bhp French spec. FJR back to the way nature intended? I've been led to believe it's a simple ECU or wiring change, but information is like the proverbial rocking-horse stuff.

Cheers... P
So the French government thinks the FJR is too powerful? So they restrict it? Modify it? Does anyone know what did they do to the R1?

·
Registered
164 Posts
The French government restrict all motorcycles to 106 bhp
And they guy at Yamaha said that Sweden / and Germany as well

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Tinwelp, I purchased my French import FJR new in 2002. A local dealer cut out the large restrictive washers in the inlet manifolds for me during the first service. I left the ECU as it is: 25k later the bike hasn't missed a beat and has all the power I need. You might prefer to purchase new UK inlet manifolds rather than butcher the originals.

·
Registered
42 Posts
@DEVON
My first FJR was dealt with that way and it ran well until I sold it at 47000km.
I re-restricted it for the sale, I didn't want to sell a non legal bike.
The problem with doing that is that you must be sure that the metal filings are completely washed away before re-installing the pipes.
My present bike I bought new (uk style) pipes

The mod to the ECU is negligable compared to the restrictors, the difference is around 1 or 2 HP, I believe the power curve is modified slightly as well.

@ShanFR
If you were closer Shan I could lend you my original pipes the time it takes to register your bike, mind you the cost new is around 45 to 50 euros if I remember rightly

·
Registered
164 Posts
Ian
I am in denial, and don’t wont to do it :cry:
I have the CoC and relevant paper work just have to sort a few other things out then will get to the prefectures office and let the wife do all the talking (as my French is merde) :roll:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys...
I'm indebited. Top info and a real result just with the inlet rubber mod: the FJR now has real blood in its veins and it finally goes like it should.

Just for completeness though, what exactly is the ECU mod?

Shan, you have my sympathy.

Cheers and regards to all... Paul

·
Registered
17 Posts
radman said:
And these are the Utopian societies the leftys here insist we emulate? I'm speechless.
french specs for the 2006 YZF R1SP.

Puissance maxi. 78,1 kW (106,2 ch) à 12 500 tr/min
Couple maxi. 106,6 Nm (10,9 kg-m) à 10 500 tr/min

Yikes!! It would be a lot easier to just remove the wheels, that should just about cover the offset in HP. :D

·
Registered
164 Posts
@ tinwelp
glad you Got it sorted
But if and when I have to do the reverse it will only be for the day the bike is tested :D :twisted:

@ skyway pick any bike the max figures is Puissance maxi. 78,1 kW (106,2 ch) in France :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts