FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:lol: Gotcha, Not got a FJR yet but I have been given the green light by SWMBO so sometime in the new year I will be a proud owner, won't be a brand spanker as I can't afford that, so peeps what do I look for for on a second hand FJR? any weak areas or is it just the usual Yamaha build quality and finish? What are the model changes year by year? I'm riding a fazer 600 at the mo.

Thanks in advance coppertop

·
Registered
144 Posts
If your wife give you the green light so just go for it!

If you want a 2nd hand bike model 06 is out of question, then. FJR suffered minor changes in 2004. No major technical issues, a great look and a fantastic engine asking for miles and miles. Any way there's a lot of aftermarket stuff for you to make your bike more as you like (if that will be the case).

I WANT my beer!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think the main things to consider if buying used are condition, mileage, ABS or not, colour, and if you intend to tour try to get one with the side cases, they are expensive to buy from Yamaha if not fitted. In the main it looks like you have made a good choice of machine, I like others here have replaced my last FJR with a FJR which I think speaks for itself. So get it and enjoy it, Iam sure you will.

·
Registered
558 Posts
If you want second hand, you may consider hanging on for a while as the new 06 model is due out soon. This means a lot of FJR riders will be trading in for the newer model, and the second hand price of the older models will presumably come down as folks upgrade. The engine on the 04 and 05 models are pretty much bullet proof, so if it has its service history up to date the engine should not be a major issue, of course the fewer miles the better, but I would,nt be to concerned about a high miler if the price was right and there was'nt a major service to fork out for in a few miles time. I would be more concerned about overall condition, the paintwork is the usual Yam sh!te, very soft, and look for flaking paint on the shaft housing and hubs, and it should have the bags on.

Black ones tend to be sluggish and ridden by the older riders, Blue ones have fair pace and Ok if your hair is only turning grey and you still have some, Silver are by far the fastest, and ridden by younger more athletic riders with a high level of virility.. :wink:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all, Miguel if you are ever in the sheffield area you will get your beer :) rich, Thanks, I have replied.

coppertop

·
Registered
144 Posts
sherlock said:
Black ones tend to be sluggish and ridden by the older riders, Blue ones have fair pace and Ok if your hair is only turning grey and you still have some, Silver are by far the fastest, and ridden by younger more athletic riders with a high level of virility..
Let me guess mr Sherlock: you have a black one? :wink:

About the beer, mr. Copertop: You can send it by DHL because I have room for it in my freezer... :idea:

·
Registered
124 Posts
miguel21op said:
About the beer, mr. Copertop: You can send it by DHL because I have room for it in my freezer... :idea:
Sorry, Miguel - lots of Euro regulations about exporting beer. Something to do with Bird Flu or suchlike. :wink:

·
Registered
144 Posts
richfjr said:
miguel21op said:
Sorry, Miguel - lots of Euro regulations about exporting beer. Something to do with Bird Flu or suchlike. :wink:
Can't you send it disguised of a cow? :cry:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sherlock,
The engine on the 04 and 05 models are pretty much bullet proof,
whats wrong with the earlier engines?

I can't post beer,in my experience beer doesn't travel well, any further than the fridge to the front of the telly and it's gone(off). :wink:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I think sherlock is referring to the valve guide issues with earlier engines.

We had problems with premature valve guide wear, but not every bike was affected. Bikes started to tick loudly
when this happened and we refer to it this way.Yamaha claimed that this was due to incompatible materials on the
valves/guides and corrected it, but would not issue a general recall.

However, despite this correction, there are a small number of 04/05 models that still developed the tick. This is very
expensive to repair unless you are in warranty.

Saying all that, the percentage of affected bikes world wide seems to be very small and despite all that again,
people still bought the bike.

I have a 2001 and will definitely buy another FJR - period. I am not worried about this and others have already done the same.

The only other issues with early 2001 models was the rear wheel spacer, which was corrected in 2002.
Not every bike was affected, but the rear wheel could seize on the spacer. I changed mine just in case.

Panniers were only optional with early bikesm now they come as standard.

Other earlies may have had problems with the rear brake caliper finish, I had mine changed under warranty -
the 2002 had a different finish. It is underslung and therefore gets all the crud and salt. The shaft drive housing also suffers from
salt/corrosion on any model, paint thickness is not very good. The bikes paintwork seems generally soft
in most peoples opinion.

The only other issue worth mentioning is excessive heat on the riders legs, but that is not so much of a problem in this country
most days of the year. Yam have tried to correct this with the 06 model.

BUT BUT BUT it is a cracking bike and 99 per cent of people are satisfied and happy owners. I am confident you will be
happy with it and will not regret it. It has stonking torque, roll on the throttle in 5th without having to change down.
0 to 60 mph is up there with the sports bikes and who would really notice the (only) 155mph top end in this country? Get yer
knee down and scrape the pegs if you like.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the extra info Rabbit, It won't put me off, I just like to be aware, I have set my heart on a FJR for a long time and now is the time I can afford one(albeit second hand). As for knee down, no chance, I'm more of a Mike Hailwood type rider(nowhere near as good, I wish).

Coppertop

·
Registered
218 Posts
A yorkshire man giving away beer, never :wink:, welcome coppertop, I used to have a Fazer myself, you can't really go wrong with the FJR imho, nice to have another local on board by the way! 8)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the welcome Kerry, this'll get you thinking,we have met, once, a fair time ago on a ride out :eek: , we have a couple of mutual friends, one is a plumber and lives in the Thorne area and also owns a black FJR. the other is a retired firefighter who now fits bathrooms and is working in my house this very moment :lol:

·
Registered
218 Posts
I only ever went on one Fazer club rideout so that was definately a long long time ago and yes I know a plumber from Thorne and will be seeing the ex fireman on Saturday night hopefully so say hi and remind him for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts